Throttle Body Improvement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering upgrading the throttle body. It sounds like it would be about a 400 dollar investment. Is there enough value in this upgrade in relation to performance?

whatchu upgrading to?

details man! we need details!

larger bore and new butterfly

where are you finding this larger TB stuff for a 3fe?

John H

i've got this info from a local performance company. You have to send the throttle body off to be bored out. They want to couple that with a high flow exhaust system.

I have an intake/hi flow (cat back) and it makes a difference.

Not sure on how much more a throttle body would do...if you do it let me know!

wouldn't a catback just affect the exhaust side?

Dan,

Where did you find a cat-back system for your 91?

Brian

PO did my cat back setup...welded a flange on behind the cat and went 2.5 all the way back (flowmaster muffler).

It has an intake (3 or 3.5") under the hood with the biggest damn K&N I could find that would fit. Ordering the dust cover for the filter soon too.

Doing one without the other is not a good idea....FYI

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I doubt (and I could be wrong, so just tell me to shut the f#$% up) the 3FE would benefit any real gains by going to a larger t-body. It already has a fairly large unit for the RPM range it operates in... Toyota did an excellent job taking the old F engine and placing EFI with beutiful manifolds (the intake side is great) on it. I know the stock t-body on my 4-Runner 22RTE is good for 500cfm in a normally aspirated condition. The 3FE unit, which is quite a bit larger than the 22RE unit, is is probably good for 650 - 750, that is just a guestimate. What you will get is a perceived increase in power due to more air entering the engine at less throttle opening. Save that $400 and put it towards the exhaust. The exhaust manifolds are look pretty good. The down pipe to the cat looks terrible, replace those with a nice mandrel bent sections of 2" or maybe 2 1/8" stainless, and do the 2.5" exhaust with a free flow muffler like Borla or Magnaflow. Any more real gains will be with head work.

No airbox for now. I am working on that part (read: fun with plastics) :D

I removed the fender intake assembly along with the rest of the air box, etc.

I honestly don't think I NEED and airbox, but I do want one to make everything a little more organized.

For what I do with it I don't think I will have issues as long as I run the K&N Dust cover for the filter.

I have noticed no improvement in fuel economy but a drastic improvement in power off the line and at top speeds (highway).

This is with the K&N and the cat back in combo.

Ordered my K&N pre-charger last night to fit my filter.

I am running an 8 inch long tapered filter (5.5" in back, 4" in front, 3.5" inside flange)

I plan on running the pre-charger all the time as I am not very trusting of the default filtering habits of the K&N.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=5207;start=msg41186#msg41186 date=1063584572]
No airbox for now. I am working on that part (read: fun with plastics) :D

I removed the fender intake assembly along with the rest of the air box, etc.

I honestly don't think I NEED and airbox, but I do want one to make everything a little more organized.

For what I do with it I don't think I will have issues as long as I run the K&N Dust cover for the filter.

I have noticed no improvement in fuel economy but a drastic improvement in power off the line and at top speeds (highway).

This is with the K&N and the cat back in combo.
[/quote]

You might not have issues with dirt, but you are pulling underhood (hot) air into your intake. Cool air is more dense and will give you more hp. You need an airbox that pulls air in from outside the engine compartment like the safari snorkel or the stock airbox. Many of my students run K&N filters with no airbox. They think it's getting more power because you can hear more intake roar, but really it's just making more noise. K&N makes a factory replacement filter that allows you to run the stock airbox.

The Gummer has an excelent point. A couple weeks ago I was messing around under the hood and had my Bluepoint thermometer stuck down between the RH fender and the hood, just behind the headlamp. Hood closed, engine idling at operating temp, it read 179 degrees :eek: . Ambient was about 90 degrees +/-.

I have the snoot of the filter in the fender (I have it all braced so it is quite neat-o).

I wonder...any ideas on a box material?

I wonder if I couldn't make a K&N airbox work for me....

off to research!

edit...

I just found an old file cabinet that will sacrificing itself for the cause at lunchtime.

I just need to find my tin snips :D

Just wanted to update this thread (FROM THIS MORNING!!!)

You all made me think and get all worked up.

I am home from work so I took an old file cabinet, some tin snips, some fuel line, and some pliers and made me a air box.

I have done more work on my truck in the past 14 days due to this board than I have in the past year!!

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5207;start=msg41489#msg41489 date=1063661551]
The Gummer has an excelent point. A couple weeks ago I was messing around under the hood and had my Bluepoint thermometer stuck down between the RH fender and the hood, just behind the headlamp. Hood closed, engine idling at operating temp, it read 179 degrees :eek: . Ambient was about 90 degrees +/-.
[/quote]

Time for a snorkle, that will cool it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom