Three adults in a pickup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own an 80 and am thinking of finally get a 70 series that I've long wanted. My 80 series only has the two front seats left and I'm sure even if I'd get a troopy it wouldn't take long until the rear area is completely converted into an RV with no seats left. However I'd much prefer a pickup and therefore am left with only one row of seats anyway. I know the factory seats theoretically seat 3 people but I've never actually had the chance of testing out how comfortable it really is to share the passenger seat with another person. What do you think? super crammed or doable?

To make matters even more complicated, starting a family is not in the too distant future for me. And I really can't afford the luxury of owning three Land Cruisers. So beyond the obvious safety issues of having a baby carrier in the front row, do you think it will even be remotely possible to seat a slim adult and a baby seat on the passenger seat of a 70 series pickup?

Its ok for a quick trip. The passengers legs have to be moved every time you change gears. Having a young child in the middle or having 2 skinny females on the bench seat is ok. But 3 adult males in the front will test each others patience.
Baby chair wont work,they take up as much room as an adult.

I hate to say it but you'd be far better off with your 80 then a 75. Extra person & baby seat = 80 all day! Not sure what year 80 you have but it will defiantly have a leg up on comfort (coil springs) and safety( ABS and possibly air bags) compared to any 7x you can bring in to the US.

The 7x is supper romantic and I love that but an 80 is just so much more practical for a fam. Just my experience from having both. not your original question but, hope that helps!

3 6foot blokes in a cruiser for 6h isnt bad of your driving or the one hanging out the passenger side window but the one in the middle sucks. Every time you want first or second the person in the middle needs to move there legs to get it in gear

In a right hand drive any way

you think it will even be remotely possible to seat a slim adult and a baby seat on the passenger seat of a 70 series pickup?

Not for hours on end, occasional day trip at most. I would stick some money into the FJ80 and replace the rear seats (or at least one) and get a roof top camper. An 80 is just going to be so much better for a family.

I doubt that you can change gears with the baby seat. Plus, how would you secure it? Have to agree with the rest: an 80 is the way to go.

As for my 80 series: It doesn't even have the threads for the rear seatbolts anymore. My 80 is definitely not a family car anymore but luckily family is still years out so I have some time. Not the 25 years I need for the DOKA but I will deal with it when the time comes ;)

Reminds me of when i was 15 yrs old. My dad was a cruiser nut and the family vehicle was a 80. Our family at that time was mom and dad, and 4 kids ( 3, 8,12,15 yrs old) all packed into a 80 for a trip across canada (bc to ontario). My 3 yr od sister was put in a car seat facing backwards in the cargo area, mom and dad in the front (bench seat) and the rest of us in the back seat. It was comfy and slow going but great memories! We stopped aling the way for dinner, chilli was on the menu, the aftermath was epic..

Why not consider a 70 series long wheel base 4-door wagon like the HZJ77? Buy a nice utility trailer for those occasional 'pick-up' truck requirements.

I have an LJ78 which has identical interior dimensions to the HZJ77, and it fits my family of four in comfort. Definitely more rear leg room than any 4Runner I've been in for example. Having been in a HDJ81 a fews times, I did not feel like it had any more room/comfort in it compared to my LJ78. In fact I liked the suspension seats in my LJ better. The HDJ81 cargo area is wider and a little deeper though....

Not sure about the HZJ77, but the LJ78 middle row can slide forward and back (each side individually), and they also individually recline. Middle row has headrests. There is also a third row (kids only really) that can be slammed in when needed for three more seat belts. I used this when my son had a birthday recently and I had to ferry kids around. Had 7 eight year old kids in there....was a little crazy, haha.

Which model Prado?

@coldtaco, that truck looks perfect. If I still was in the US... I will see what I can find in South America and take home with me on my way back.

@ozcruiser: I don't want to know how hard it will be to get this done in the US. I already had to have my 80 LRA tank & kaymar rear bumper shipped from AU. But one can never stop dreaming (and saving $$$)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom