threadlocker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

metalonmetal

Rebuilding
Threads
when is threadlocker necessary? when is it not? i've heard of people using it on just about every thread they could find.

No, don't use it on everything. You never use the red on a bolt that you can't get a flame on. If the FSM doesn't call for it, it becomes a kind of an individual thing, and can depend a large part on the kind of use you're going to be subjecting your truck to. Do a search on the different forums on "thread lock", "locktite red", and "locktite blue", and you'll start to get the idea.
Here's a couple of posts from Birfield that helped me last year:
http://www.birfield.com/modules.php...hives/html/landcruisers/2004-03/msg01860.html.
http://www.birfield.com/modules.php...hives/html/landcruisers/2003-02/msg02496.html

James

Last edited:
I have an 1986 CR500R, and I use red loc-tite on everthing in the engine, and blue on most of the frame, loc-tite doesn't bond as well to aluminum, so the red comes out ok, but without these, there's not a bolt on that bike that would stay in without some mechanical lock. plus they make a good antisieze, if you use it right it keeps moisture and air out of the threads to keep them clean and shiny. if you want a really durable hold though you should really clean the threads on both sides with a cleaner like theirs, carb cleaner is pretty much the same. Blue loc-tite if it wasn't so expensive would go on about everything I put together.

Locktite blue is like ginseng: Good for everything and always a positive influence.

You can use it on everything that doesn't require Locktite red.

I use the blue almost everyhwere- cheap insurance because my 40 rides like a buckboard wagon.

Of course it helps that I'm able to get an Elmers Glue sized bottle from work for free....

Have you ever tried picking out a broken bolt that was loaded full of blue locktite? It ain't one bit fun........

I would think that if one were to torque the fastener properly, that the bolt would stretch slightly and keep tension on the joint. To the best of my knowledge, that is how it is supposed to work. I very rarely use any locktite at all for anything and have few, if any, problems. And this includes several industrial settings where the machinery gets abused much more than any of us abuse our Cruisers. Just my .02.

Tony

Used to safety wire all kinds of stuff on the aircraft, yeah it's fun and looks cool, but it seems a bit over kill for the cruiser. The only place I remember even seeing where it was useable was on front hub bolts, unless you plan on replacing a lot of hardware.

i over abuse basicly everything i work with/drive/ride/use/borrow (sometimes)/replace. red locktite sometimes doesnt cut it. i want to know its NOT coming apart

???? you talking to me?

its stainless wire, you twist it to make it braided? i think thats what you mean?

HawkDriver said:
I prolly only use it on things that I don't want flying off at a high rate of speed (clutch, flywheel etc). Don't really use it on much of anything else and she stays together nice and tight for me. Just me.

me too, i never use it except a couple places. no need :cheers:

cheap 40 said:
the bolt would stretch slightly and keep tension on the joint. To the best of my knowledge, that is how it is supposed to work.

I think this is exactly right. my impression is that short bolts and screws that don't get torqued that tight need it the most.

Steve C said:
I think this is exactly right. my impression is that short bolts and screws that don't get torqued that tight need it the most.

I would agree; short fasteners and flywheel kind of things would be the only place I would use it.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom