Thoughts on raising TLCA dues??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLCA missed membership when they didnt accept minis and non land cruiser 4x4's that are toyota in. I believe that many mini and non landcruiser owners dont join because they feel that TLCA is a landcruiser only club. The future of toyota 4x4's is in the tacomas and not landcruisers. Lets face it, how many tacomas are sold to one landcruiser. Yes there will always be that core group of members, but if TLCA wants to expand then they need to provide benefits for vehicles other than landcruisers. Two years ago I ran a booth at the Marlin Crawler roundup for TLCA. Quess what, of the 200+ people, maybe 10 knew what tlca was and most believed that since they didnt own a landcruiser they could not join. If the magazine is such a huge cost, maybe its time to talk about getting rid of it and looking at other ways of such as a newsletter type0e format. I know in the past TLCA was purchaeing 100's if not thousands of extra magazines just to keep the cost down. In my opinion, a good business model does not keep something going that is costing more money than it brings in. TLCA is not the governnent and cant print its own money. Of course this is my opinion.

TLCA missed membership when they didnt accept minis and non land cruiser 4x4's that are toyota in. I believe that many mini and non landcruiser owners dont join because they feel that TLCA is a landcruiser only club. The future of toyota 4x4's is in the tacomas and not landcruisers. Lets face it, how many tacomas are sold to one landcruiser. Yes there will always be that core group of members, but if TLCA wants to expand then they need to provide benefits for vehicles other than landcruisers. Two years ago I ran a booth at the Marlin Crawler roundup for TLCA. Quess what, of the 200+ people, maybe 10 knew what tlca was and most believed that since they didnt own a landcruiser they could not join. If the magazine is such a huge cost, maybe its time to talk about getting rid of it and looking at other ways of such as a newsletter type0e format. I know in the past TLCA was purchaeing 100's if not thousands of extra magazines just to keep the cost down. In my opinion, a good business model does not keep something going that is costing more money than it brings in. TLCA is not the governnent and cant print its own money. Of course this is my opinion.

[FLAME]

That is too bad that you continue your misconception. Toyota Trails has always had minis, runners, Tacos, FJCs and non-LAND CRUISERS on the cover and throughout the magazine. The web site and all communications and marketing is abundantly CLEAR that TLCA is open to all Toyota 4x4s. Anyone that gets the impression that TLCA is only for Land Cruisers is myopic and ignorant (yes that was intended as a direct insult). No organization can possibly market to such a small-minded group of people who can't even see what is right in front of their noses.

There will always be a small number of simple-minded people who like to throw firebombs into the living room without bothering with wanting to know the facts, but would rather simply stir the pot and throw idiotic and ignorant pedantic statements onto online forums.

[/FLAME]

What have you done for TLCA lately, other than point out what [you think] is wrong?

Oh really Jeff. So my friend that bought his mini truck back in 1979 off the showroom and still owns it today was not allowed back in the day to join TLCA and was shunned by TLCA. I have t alked to several mini owners about this and they feel like they really dont get much from TLCA. When was the last time any type of merchandise was printed with a mini or tacoma. Maybe it has and I am not aware of it. I guess you are insulting a bunch of mini truck guys, because they absolutely did not know what tlca is and that they could join. You can say what you want, but I bet the number of mini truck owners in TLCA vs the number of minis and tacomas on the trail is quite small. Just look at the rubithon. Most of the mini trucks that attend are people that own landcruisers. In fact I am going wheeling this weekend and every toyota I see I will ask them about TLCA. I will report back and let everyone know of my findings. Also if you look at the mini crowd and tacoma crowd, around here are generally much younger crowd than the landcruiser owners. These could be the future generations of TLCA. In my area I dont think I have ever remember seeing any non landcruiser toyota 4x4's with TLCA stickers. Maybe it is different where you live.

Also there is no need for insults and getting nasty. I am a paying member and I have a right to voice my opinion.

And Jeff, I am not trying to stir the pot like u think. I am simply stating what I have heard from talking to fellow 4wheelers. What does it matter what I have done for TLCA lately or ever. I really not interested in getting into a back and forth conversation with you. I really thought this was about opinions about dues and the situation that TLCA is in. This is not about your bad feelings towards me so I would really appreciate it if you would keep on subject and quite trying to prevolk a confrontation. If you would like to contact me, I encourage you to pm me and I would gladly give you my phone number.

Oh really Jeff. So my friend that bought his mini truck back in 1979 off the showroom and still owns it today was not allowed back in the day to join TLCA and was shunned by TLCA.

Get your facts straight before shooting from the hip. That has never been true.

I have t alked to several mini owners about this and they feel like they really dont get much from TLCA.

I have talked to hundreds (literally) mini, Taco, 4runner and FJC owners who DO think they get a lot from TLCA.

When was the last time any type of merchandise was printed with a mini or tacoma.

When was the last time any merchandise was printed with any specific model?

I guess you are insulting a bunch of mini truck guys, because they absolutely did not know what tlca is and that they could join.

Nope, not insulting anyone because of the model they choose to own. Just insulting ignorant people who make ignorant posts.

You can say what you want, but I bet the number of mini truck owners in TLCA vs the number of minis and tacomas on the trail is quite small.

The fact that Toyota sold orders of magnitude more minis, Tacos and runners than Land Cruisers is obviously either lost on you, or else you choose to ignore the obvious.

Just look at the rubithon. Most of the mini trucks that attend are people that own landcruisers. In fact I am going wheeling this weekend and every toyota I see I will ask them about TLCA. I will report back and let everyone know of my findings.

That's great! Thank you!

Also if you look at the mini crowd and tacoma crowd, around here are generally much younger crowd than the landcruiser owners.

Land Cruisers have always been the flagship model that Toyota sells, and as such has always been the most expensive.

These could be the future generations of TLCA. In my area I dont think I have ever remember seeing any non landcruiser toyota 4x4's with TLCA stickers. Maybe it is different where you live.

It certainly is.

Also there is no need for insults and getting nasty. I am a paying member and I have a right to voice my opinion.

Yes there is a need to hurls some insults and get nasty when confronted with firebombs in the living room. I am no longer on the BOD and no longer have to be politically correct when it comes to the tiny minority of people who have no command of the facts and spout their opinions as if gospel.

How many Toyota Shops are there in the US and around the world? Maybe 300-500 solid ones in the US and 1000's around the world?

How many of those shops market TLCA for you on a daily basis? I'm betting less than a handful.

How many shops have TT magazines in their waiting rooms? I'm still betting a handful.

How many TLCA members go to these shops? Willing to bet it has to be around 50%

How many non TLCA members go to these shops? I'm thinking that number is in the tens of thousands.

Now what if with every invoice those shops give to their customers they hand them a TLCA flyer as well. In exchange for having some sort of membership with TLCA.

You get 100 shops willing to do this, you send them a pack of flyers and a couple mags to put in the waiting room, restroom, etc... at the beginning of the year and I'm willing to bet they would get you at least 5 new members a year. That's potentially 500 new members a year.

Also maybe you should do a flyer or even a small business card that has TLCA membership info and benefits on one side and a local clubs info on the other. That way when a club member tags a truck your getting some sort of benefit as well. And it is also a benefit to the local club.

Others will disagree with me on this but if your not growing your dying.

How many Toyota Shops are there in the US and around the world? Maybe 300-500 solid ones in the US and 1000's around the world?

How many of those shops market TLCA for you on a daily basis? I'm betting less than a handful.

How many shops have TT magazines in their waiting rooms? I'm still betting a handful.

How many non TLCA members go to these shops? I'm thinking that number is in the tens of thousands.

Now what if with every invoice those shops give to their customers they hand them a TLCA flyer as well. In exchange for having some sort of membership with TLCA.

You get 100 shops willing to do this, you send them a pack of flyers and a couple mags to put in the waiting room, restroom, etc... at the beginning of the year and I'm willing to bet they would get you at least 5 new members a year. That's potentially 500 new members a year.

Also maybe you should do a flyer or even a small business card that has TLCA membership info and benefits on one side and a local clubs info on the other. That way when a club member tags a truck your getting some sort of benefit as well. And it is also a benefit to the local club.

Wow.. I have been thinking the same thing recently and was trying formulate my thoughts into some clear ideas and suggestions to throw out. Yours are very on par though.
  1. I think Toyota delearships management would be very open to the idea of someone in their city who represents TLCA to come in and work some deal to either just provide pamphlets that goes with new paperwork or maybe a deal that dealership provides 1 year free membership with purchase of a Land Cruiser/ fj cruiser/4 runners/tacomas and that in turn gets TLCA in the door with new owners. Some will bite and some wont but its worth a shot.
  2. Toyota Trails-I agree and if there is a way to get each dealership to commit to a subscription each year so they can get copies for their waiting rooms or hell even order a couple cases and have them on display for free with the land cruiser/fj cruiser/4runner/Tacoma displays
  3. Its all about exposure and if each club in the US has a TLCA delegate or maybe just someone that works at the TLCA that maybe finds a way to reach out to some of these places to get a conversation started. Im sure Vendors would greatly appreciate it too
  4. I know locally I mentioned that we need to try to find a way to reach out to the younger generation that are driving the cruisers and make them feel welcome to come out and be a part of the clubs and events
Just a few thoughts. Unfortunately my life situation does not allow me right now to be a part of this solution so all I can offer are a few ideas.

I for one want to see it grow and get stronger

Now THATS the kind of thinking we should be embracing! Getting membership around 4,000+ makes the budget numbers do really good things. I certainly understand current leadership's assumptions and would probably be doing the same thing in the same circumstances. What TLCA needs the most right now, as you have put so well above, is some creating and enthusiastic marketing.

Too few people have been tasked with too much in this area over the past however many years, and the result is as has been described, we just have this core group (myself included) who would pay an increased dues amount to balance the budget.

TLCA has had its ups and downs over the years, but invariably, the downs were preceded by a lack of marketing and sales. TLCA may just be a "car club" but it still needs the same types of things that businesses do to thrive, and among those are an effective marketing and sales effort.

Wow.. I have been thinking the same thing recently and was trying formulate my thoughts into some clear ideas and suggestions to throw out. Yours are very on par though.
  1. I think Toyota delearships management would be very open to the idea of someone in their city who represents TLCA to come in and work some deal to either just provide pamphlets that goes with new paperwork or maybe a deal that dealership provides 1 year free membership with purchase of a Land Cruiser/ fj cruiser/4 runners/tacomas and that in turn gets TLCA in the door with new owners. Some will bite and some wont but its worth a shot.
  2. Toyota Trails-I agree and if there is a way to get each dealership to commit to a subscription each year so they can get copies for their waiting rooms or hell even order a couple cases and have them on display for free with the land cruiser/fj cruiser/4runner/Tacoma displays
  3. Its all about exposure and if each club in the US has a TLCA delegate or maybe just someone that works at the TLCA that maybe finds a way to reach out to some of these places to get a conversation started. Im sure Vendors would greatly appreciate it too
  4. I know locally I mentioned that we need to try to find a way to reach out to the younger generation that are driving the cruisers and make them feel welcome to come out and be a part of the clubs and events
Just a few thoughts. Unfortunately my life situation does not allow me right now to be a part of this solution so all I can offer are a few ideas.

I for one want to see it grow and get stronger

TLCA experienced its biggest membership boost in the last decade, when in 2006 and 2007 Toyota was promoting their new FJC, and linking its heritage with the 40 series. Dealerships were given stacks of Toyota Trails, and dealerships were giving a TLCA membership to every new FJC buyer. That promotion dried up in 2008 or so and our membership declined. A lot of new FJC owners weren't really interested in continuing to be TLCA members if they had to pay for membership, and we (TLCA) failed badly at retaining those new FJC owners as members. I would estimate that those years saw anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 TLCA members due to Toyota's partnership with TLCA in promoting the FJC.

Prior to the FJC introduction, one of the things we routinely did was try to get all of our delegates extra copies of Toyota Trails to place into dealership waiting rooms. I know at Rising Sun we have done this habitually at all of our half dozen or so Denver area Toyota dealerships.

Marketing and sales is critical. Toyota Trails is our most visible product, to TLCA membership is the #1 product that keeps us afloat.

Maybe a nominee for each club around that has a regular group to try to reach out once a quarter to the dealerships?

I know here in nc Fred Andersen toyota and Scott Clark's have participated in events so I'm sure they'd be open to ideas on dual promos.

I think productive conversations like these will help progress. There will always be the difficult folks out here who complain but do nothing and just enjoy the benefits. It's just part of life but we all know we want the tlca around and to thrive. That's a good first step

From past experience with our own local offroad club I can tell you that the biggest problem with clubs is always participation . With the current economy and everyone working very hard to just get by that doesn't help the club problem . TLCA has and always will be a great source and attribute to Toyota owners , I for one want to see that continue . No issues with raising dues here , glad it's been noted that bulk mail costs money and causes issues to not be delivered - never knew that myself . I applaud putting out the issues directly to members both in the forum and the magazine - this news has to be shared so folks understand what is happening and why .

I agree with a lot of the aforementioned ideas here , for one Toyota needs to step up and pay back all the years of using the TLCA for promotions in sales . Their support for us needs to be seen and felt , not just in their sales profit pockets like so many other companies . It's disgusting that Toyota has turned into a typical corporation that's only focused on profits like so many others , this kills off loyalty especially when their designs and quality goes further downhill . Using the TLCA as nothing more than a marketing tool helps no one - we need to somehow change that .

I eagerly await every issue of TT's , just makes my day and gives me a couple hours of relaxation in reading the articles and enjoying the great pictures - that is important as a member . I'd pay double just to have a monthly mag , but I know that would probably triple costs .

$50 a year is nothing compared to parts costs maintaining our rigs . I have zero issues with the cost and prefer to do mine in 3yr membership stages . I'd even pony up the cash difference for my remaining term to help get things headed on the right track . Our sense of community associated with this brand is second to none and that by far is the most valuable asset we have . The various forums and vast amount of help for new/existing Toyota owners is amazing and without equal . I feel you shouldn't get something for nothing , paying a higher membership fee is just paying forward into the community . The boards continue to be the biggest resource for information - membership should be pushed there the most and perhaps in some way could be made a requirement ?? That would boost things in a big way and pay dividends to all .

Anyway , enough rambling - that's my .02 for what it's worth .
Sarge

BTW-
One thing that was mentioned was more swag items - I'd love to see more T-shirts and the like , helps identify to the idiots out there what you are driving , even if they are oblivious to the emblems on it - which most people are . Perhaps some cool bumper stickers as well ?
Sarge

I would support a dues increase, we are going to need it.

I think we need to get the word out better that is for sure. One thing I would like to see is some more benefits as has been mentioned in the past. Sadly, I have looked at some price quotes for parts from some fine Mud board members that say they will give you 25% off for being a mudder, or being a TLCA member. Well I'm sorry, but every on-line Toyota parts vendor gives 25% off the list price. If you search around enough you will find a good price on a part. I just don't see that as any real benefit. Perhaps for the local private shops, yes we all need to support you guys, give us a deal when you can. A big corporate Toyota dealership though, I just can't be loyal to one or the other, cause I'm not really helping out that "guy", just his dealership, so I have a hard time being loyal to that. On the other hand if the big corporate places would really give us a break for being a very small piece of their customer base, great, I would select certain individuals to solely get parts from. I'd like to see 25% off the 25% off price, or even 10%, or a shipping break, something.

Also, I'm in a rural area, far from any clubs, or organized runs most the time, with the exception of Rising Sun, but Denver is still a 4-5 hour trip for me in a Cruiser. Plus, we all have our own busy lives. Something that might get me more interested in local and regional events is more reminders. I frequent Mud almost daily, a lot of us do, and praise Woody for letting the group use space on his board. But even in the trails, you get the club advertisments for upcoming events, you get some loose schedules every couple of issues, but it is not very loud if you get what I mean. Also the info in the trails is dated by a month or two when it reaches your door. Could a realtime flyer be inserted in the mag, with up to date info on events happening in the area or region. Something where a quick club run is coming up, come join us. I think that may help foster a little more participation. I know I look at the events, and think that looks fun, but they are listed out 6-8 months in advance, I don't know what I'm doing that far out, and yes I know they need early registration, but throw a flyer at me that says, hey sign up by the end of the month if you want to come to this great TLCA event, or the local club says that every Tuesday in XYZ area they hit a local run. Then I might look over at my calendar and say hey, I'm free in two weekends.

Yes I know all this info is out there, but for the casual wheeler, my life doesn't revolve around runs and wheeling, I fish, hunt, camp and have a family, but continued and more often reminders may get me off my butt. Plus if these are laying in waiting rooms, maybe a potential new member may be interested in the same way, like wow, I just got this FJCruiser, getting new tires put on today, and a local club is having a weekly run, I think I'll check it out.

Sarge mentions swag above, ya that would be cool, heck when you get a multi year membership, you only get one dash plaque, please send me the other two years of dash plaques, not just the year I renewed in. Those are the cool little things that keep people interested sometimes. Maybe an annual letter or another insert with real time discounts, and specials. These can be black and white, like the old news letters, cheap, but get the word out and get people to use their membership more.

And the lodging discount, cool idea, I have never seen a Red Roof Inn. Can we drum up some more national benefits like that???

I guess that I'm saying I love the trails, I'm proud of being in the TLCA, I wish I could participate more, or offer more, but I'm hundreds of miles from any other club members or TLCA businesses. But besides the magazine, and some of the acquaintances I've made through the years, I get very little additional benefit.

As for the TLCA website, I rarely visit, nothing new to see, I like to read the trails, so the one article I miss online doesn't always kill me, but maybe we need to blend it with Mud, or something, or have big hot links at the top of Mud and the blue room, and Tundra country or whatever those other Toyota sites are, get people hitting the link. Plus, I clicked on the benefits for individuals just now, hardly anything there, the magazine and a warm fuzzy feeling, you will make great friends, okay, give me a real time list of current benefits if I sign up today, or just remind me of what I have forgotten after being a member for all these years, maybe I missed the ad in trails.

Not ranting here, or upset, I applaud everyone that works for the group, but the decline in membership is very alarming to me. I now own 3 Land Cruisers and a T100 pickup, I love the vehicles, but that love alone doesn't always keep me in a club that I rarely get to play with.

Some very valid points in your post.

I am the Event Coordinator for Rising Sun 4x4 Club. You can always count on there being at least 1 club run per month, every month, all year long. (It's in our By-Laws) During the height of the season, there are probably 10 per month. A small group of us do something called "Wednesday Wheeling" all summer long. Everything from mild to wild. If you have a free day and would like to get out, PM me on here or email me at events@risingsun4x4club.org
I am 100% positive I can have a group ready to go whenever you are. The larger events are planned so far in advance because the logistics of hosting something like that takes many months of planning.

You can always go to the Events section of Rising Sun and see what's upcoming.
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=11

TLCA is also on Facebook and Instagram now (if you're into that type of Social Media). There are updates, event news, pictures and even Land Cruiser trivia. Think of it as Toyota Trails Light. Nothing nearly as in-depth as Trails, but great content nonetheless.

I think you'll see a real benefit to TLCA over the next few years. New positions are being filled, new energy, new ideas and an overall revival of getting together and talking about, working on, or driving Toyota 4x4s. Extra content is coming in Toyota Trails, hopefully some new store products, and a few new events.

All of this requires funding though. And funding comes from membership. Membership grows from a collective effort of all involved. If all of our members stayed involved or remembered that being a TLCA member is vital to preserving the history and legacy of the Land Cruiser (and all Toyota 4x4s), we'd already be ahead.

I think you made some good points. I'm sure one of our Officers will respond accordingly. It's important that they listen to every member and if necessary, make changes to how we move forward.

Stan Wright

Last edited:
Thanks Stan, hopefully in the next summer or two I can join you guys some. I'm not trying to be critical, these were just things I've been thinking of the past few years, and really thought about it after looking back through the prior discussions in this thread and after reading the trails a few days ago and the comments made in it and our sinking membership and a dues increase.

I'm not a big social media type, really not that aware we had an active facebook page, I'll have to check it out. Perhaps those are the steps we need to pick some more members.

TLCA experienced its biggest membership boost in the last decade, when in 2006 and 2007 Toyota was promoting their new FJC, and linking its heritage with the 40 series. Dealerships were given stacks of Toyota Trails, and dealerships were giving a TLCA membership to every new FJC buyer. That promotion dried up in 2008 or so and our membership declined. A lot of new FJC owners weren't really interested in continuing to be TLCA members if they had to pay for membership, and we (TLCA) failed badly at retaining those new FJC owners as members. I would estimate that those years saw anywhere from 1,200 to 2,000 TLCA members due to Toyota's partnership with TLCA in promoting the FJC.

Prior to the FJC introduction, one of the things we routinely did was try to get all of our delegates extra copies of Toyota Trails to place into dealership waiting rooms. I know at Rising Sun we have done this habitually at all of our half dozen or so Denver area Toyota dealerships.

Marketing and sales is critical. Toyota Trails is our most visible product, to TLCA membership is the #1 product that keeps us afloat.

Was that FJC marketing campaign limited to the USA only?

I have no idea how Toyota geo-politics work world wide, but what about a similar TLCA campaign to Toyota dealerships around the globe?
Yes I know the FJC is ending it's run this year, but there are owners bringing them in for maintenance etc, Tacoma/Tundra/4runner etc owners...and Land Cruiser is still being sold in the US (not in Canada though :doh:). Plus the huge Oz market and other parts.

I am the Event Coordinator for Rising Sun 4x4 Club.

Stan is also Rising Sun's TLCA delegate and as such is a voting member of the TLCA Board of Directors. Stan has been doing an OUTSTANDING job and we need more people like Stan to boost and market TLCA. Word of mouth has traditionally been TLCA's best marketing tool, but Stan has taken that to the 21st century level with social media. Please help by "liking" TLCA's FB page and by contributing content.

Thank you Stan, and thank everyone who posted thoughtful replies in this thread!

Was that FJC marketing campaign limited to the USA only?

I have no idea how Toyota geo-politics work world wide, but what about a similar TLCA campaign to Toyota dealerships around the globe?
Yes I know the FJC is ending it's run this year, but there are owners bringing them in for maintenance etc, Tacoma/Tundra/4runner etc owners...and Land Cruiser is still being sold in the US (not in Canada though :doh:). Plus the huge Oz market and other parts.
Hi Jeff

Yes, we are starting to get our club delegates and BOD members setting up delivery of Trails to their local dealerships for display in their waiting rooms and as an inclusion with new SUV sales

Even though the FJC is done, there will always be a market for used Land Cruisers and FJCs. Yahoo had an article recently proclaiming the Land Cruiser / LX470 as the very best used car value right now. That 100 series market is opening up, and Stan is on board with getting the word out to those owners about TLCA.

We haven't focused as much on the Tacoma/Tundra crowd, as TTORA has become a force for those models. We certainly welcome them, but I think our recruiting efforts need to start at the Land Cruiser level for both the 100's and 200's.

As far a worldwide, I think our best shot there is starting where the International clubs and reps are located.

I also wanted everyone to know that:

"Effective July 1, we will be increasing the US dues by $5 to $35 per year with the goal to have a balanced budget. Our last dues increase was in 2007, and our feedback from club delegates overwhelmingly supported this increase. At this time, we are holding the 1st class membership at $45 and I hope more of you will opt for that. We are also creating an “event only” membership of $25, which is the same cost as our PDF only International membership. My hope is that if people feel the increase is too much, they can remain members and access the PDF version of Toyota Trails."

The above test is in the next "President's Column" for Trails

Status
Not open for further replies.