Thought's on potential 94' FZJ80 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious to see what you guys think here. So I'm looking at a 94' FZJ80 with 247k miles on the clock for $5,500. It's bone stock. It does not have any lockers. The vehicle is from Idaho so I was a little worried about rust but the owner texted me some undercarriage pictures and it looks quite clean underneath. A tiny bit of surface rust but otherwise not bad. Judging from pictures the exterior and interior are very clean. Cloth seats that actually look clean. Doesn't seem like much sun damage to the point. Engine bay is clean. It's a 2-owner vehicle and current owner has had it since 1999. He states he kept up with general maintenance. Overall I'd say for a 25 year old truck it's pretty darn nice.

Intended purpose is more weekender and adventure vehicle. I say I don't plan to rush into a build but who am I kidding. It would likely get built up over time. 4x4 Labs treatment, 34" tires, interior storage and sleeping platform yada-yada-yada. It may be my daily for a little bit but I'd likely get something else to DD in a few months. My hope would be to take it to 500k miles. Currently I have a 16' 5th gen 4Runner Trail that I have been building up slowly over the past 3 years, 65k miles and love the thing but for whatever reason the 80 series bug has hit. Honestly I'd happy with either and love what each offers. So I guess it begs the question do I keep my single owner, well maintained 5th gen 4R or do I get into an 80 series and deal with any issues that a 25 year old car presents with?

What do you guys think? Fair deal on what seems like a nicely maintained stock 80 series? Good move to switch from what I currently have or am I chasing the proverbial rainbow?

Last edited:
I bought a 94 LC a year and a half ago. It had 145k and it’s been my daily driver and off road rig ever since. Plan on spending 2-3k baselining the truck. New fluids, spark plugs, brakes, o2 sensors, new wheels bearings, axle rebuild if needed check the birfields to see if they are leaking grease, and any other items that need attention. I’ll be honest I love my truck but mpg’s are horrible. I get 11 mpg everything stock with 33” tires and sliders. I also bought mine without lockers and it stil is an extremely capable rig. Thing is just point and shoot and it goes. Maybe I haven’t been doing hard enough trails but so far no lockers needed. I plan on getting a spartan locker in the rear just to have a rear locker at an affordable price.

If you have any questions hit me up and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Sounds similar to the one I picked up, long term previous owner, I'd say go for it.

You know you need both !!!!!!

Stop building the 4runner use it for everyday. Work on 80, build 80, 80 GOOD!!!! the smiles per gallon are way more, 1/3 bigger and longer lasting in the 80. I have gx 470 for everyday and my 94 with lockers 146999 miles. I had a 62. But found my spg is better in the 80. The 80's are amazing mechanical works of art.

I bought mine at 190k miles for a 1993 fzj80 with triple lockers and 2 sets of tires (OEM AT's and 35s on LX450) rims. The truck had a couple leaks (You can expect this in this price range) and the cdl actuator was bad. Easy fixes and relatively easy sailing since. My purchase price in Alabama was $6900 cash private party. I personally would not buy a non-locker variant but that is my own personal bias.

I know others may not agree, but I think that's a little high for a stock rig, no lockers, and 250K miles. However, cloth seats are a plus as well as two owners. Not crazy high, but a little.

You know you need both !!!!!!

Stop building the 4runner use it for everyday. Work on 80, build 80, 80 GOOD!!!! the smiles per gallon are way more, 1/3 bigger and longer lasting in the 80. I have gx 470 for everyday and my 94 with lockers 146999 miles. I had a 62. But found my spg is better in the 80. The 80's are amazing mechanical works of art.

Haha I guess that's the problem right, I definitely NEED both :D. Good thing the gf has a truck so I don't have a third NEED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom