Thoughts on Loctite/anti-seize (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting my front hubs back together and wondering what you all think... to what extent do you all use anti-seize on stuff when you put it all back together. Father was a Land Rover mechanic and dear old dad taught me to put it on everything... so it's habit, though many I've talked to don't really touch the stuff.

What are the pros/cons?

Can you elaborate a little bit more? I don't really have any input, but am curious to learn

Anti seize is probably not worth it unless you are in the Rust Belt.

Lock tite on the other hand might be worthwhile on the knuckle studs below. That would be the only application in the front axle rebuild where I would use it.

I love Loc-Tite. Stuff is awesome for the "Just-in-case" factor. I do however shy away from anti-seize. At the last shop I worked at the idiot I replaced used anti-seize instead of brake lube on at least 30 different cars.:bang: Needless to say, my first month consisted entirely of redoing all of his brake jobs. I must have went through 20 gallons of brake kleen and a quart of brake lube.

X2 on loving threadlocker. Pretty much every threaded fastener I put into my car has threadlocker. I tend not to overtighten things when I use threadlocker, that's especially good in aluminum threads. And threadlocker seals out moisture, reducing corrosion. I prefer the stick form, but low-strength only comes in liquid.

I don't use anti-seize except in a very high-temp application, but lately I won't even use it there. Low-strength threadlocker will keep threads from corroding and seizing better than anti-seize. Wet and corrosive environments seem to wash anti-seize out of joints and fasteners, while threadlocker sets up as durable kind of a waxy plastic. For high-temp things like brake guide pins, I've not had much luck with even high-temp anti-seize, but excellent luck with moly grease. The moly looks perfect when I crack the brakes apart for the next pad change. I haven't played with "brake lube", is it moly grease?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom