1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on EGR.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruiserdan, Jan 10, 2004.

1. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    All of the recent activity pertaining to EGR troubles has reminded me of an instance our shop delt with a few years ago. Instead of posting this in an existing thread I thought I would start a new one in an effort to reach more members:

The vehicle in question was a 96 80 series that had a check-engine light triggered by an EGR malfunction. One of our master techs battled the damn thing for several days and numerous visits. He did all of the standard "fixes" that have been posted here ad-infinum.

He was about ready to push the SOB outside and set it on fire when he came to me. "are you driving your Cruiser today?" he asked. Smart a$$ me said, "Am I at work?" :D He said :flipoff2: "let me under the hood. I want to look at something"

Off we go to my vehicle. I opened the hood and he went straight for the vacuum hose that leads from the EGR valve to the intake plenum. On the surface it appears that this hose is drawing vacuum from the intake plenum. IT IS NOT. In reality it is a tube that TRANSITS the intake plenum and the other end of it is an attachment for the VSV! He applied vacuum to the "bib" off of the plenum and it "breathed" freely. The tube in the vehicle he was working on DID NOT, it was plugged up solid. He bypassed it with a length of vacuum hose and the system was healed.

This may or may not be something that would happen to other vehicles but I feel it is important enough to check out.

:cheers: D-

2. Scamper

Scamper

What a clever piece of engineering :p ...not.

I just looked at mine, and you can't tell that this is not taking vac from the intake manifold. So why in blue blazes didn't toyota just route a hose to the VSV? ???

3. Junk

Junk

I think it's a Toyota scam. Cdan contacted them years ago and told them if they f'ed the EGR system, that years later he would buy an 80, join IH8Mud and sell parts. Little beknownst to us, in every EGR part Cdan sells, there is a secret tracking chip. The chip also transmits whether or not we are using the Fuel Max magnets to increase our gas mileage.

I hate my EGR. It is evil. It is alive and stalks me everywhere I go. At bedtime it peeks in my window. When I'm in the s***ter it's watching. When I'm on the pc it's watching. If I'm out in the garage it's peeking in the door.

There is no escape.

4. landtoy80

landtoy80

Junk, thats not the EGR that is WATCHING YOU. That's ME

Dan, I bet it was plugged up from a bad modulator letting carbon into the vacuum system.

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Kurt isn't the flow the other way. It would have to draw carbon in through the EGR valve then up into the VSV.

6. Junk

Junk

Landtoy,
    When yours was going sour, did you notice any change in your idle? If so, was it only when your truck was warm?

7. Scamper

Scamper

I think our LCs must have a secret carbon injector system on the EGR.

I was helping my son do some work on his '94 Celica over the weekend. Before finishing, I decided to pop the cap on his modulator and check out the filter (the EGR system is very similar to the LC's). Bear in mind that this car has likely NEVER had any service to this part. While the filter was slightly greyish and had a small black spot of carbon (about the size of a bb), it was in otherwise darn good shape for being 10 years old! I just cleaned it out and rotated the filter 180 degrees and popped it back in.

8. Asiarider

Asiarider

I don't understand what you are talking about :slap:

Mike

9. landtoy80

landtoy80

I just checked and the bottom port of the modulator is run by exhaust gas pushing the diaphragm.
    I put a vacuum guage on the hose and it blows not sucks ( although the EGR DOES suck, :flipoff2: )
    This is the only was carbon could get into the modulator and the vacuum system.

Junk, my 80 ran the same before and after EGR problems.

10. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Dan,
    thanks for the tip -- since my vacuum hose leading from valve to the plenum was partly blocked annd badly deteriorated, I suspect I may find the same problem. Are you saying he permanently bypassed the through the intake plenum thingy and went straight to the vsv from the valve, or did he clean it out somehow? How did he clean it out?

11. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Simon,

He attempted to but quit because there is an angle in it somewhere and the customer did not want to pay to have the plenum pulled so he could go at it from both directions. He by-passed it with a length of vacuum hose.

D-

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">