Thomas PTO winch manual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Like many others that own 40 series LandCruisers coming from Australia I own a Thomas PTO winch. Mine came with a user manual that I thought would be nice to share as I couldn't find any posts with it. Also a diagram, courtesy of @tlaporte in this thread Winch Disassembly - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/winch-disassembly.1102808/.

For reference and exchange of experiences. Cheers

Thomas winch operating manual p1.jpg

Thomas winch operating manual p4.jpg

Thomas winch operating manual p3.jpg

Thomas winch operating manual p2.jpg

ATS-winch-parts-diagram.png

Pretty cool. Mine has a Thomas as well.
I haven't tried mine out yet and not sure when it was last used. Any tips on getting it going without busting it? I thought to see if I can get the PTO shaft turning by hand first, then by engine in first gear without engaging the winch, and finally by engaging the winch. Grease and change oil before all this, and clean the chain/sprocket before all this. What do you reckon?

And here is a more elaborate manual, including installation instructions for various landcruiser models

Attachments

• Thomas T8.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 520
I haven't tried mine out yet and not sure when it was last used. Any tips on getting it going without busting it? I thought to see if I can get the PTO shaft turning by hand first, then by engine in first gear without engaging the winch, and finally by engaging the winch. Grease and change oil before all this, and clean the chain/sprocket before all this. What do you reckon?
Well, mine is missing the driveshaft, so I’ve never run it!

I’ll probably replace it with an 8274 at some point.

So, I greased the various nipples and filled up the winch with 85W140 oil and followed the steps in the manual. Winch works great. One problem: leaking oil along the worm shaft on both sides.
Subsequently pulled the winch off the car and removed the bearing covers on both sides of the shaft. The rotary seals are pretty much gone and there is a light groove on the shaft. This surprised me a bit because I don't think the winch has been used much. Anyway, now looking to source speedi seals and new rotary seals.

Well, mine is missing the driveshaft, so I’ve never run it!

I’ll probably replace it with an 8274 at some point.
why replace it? It's a solid piece of kit and the driveshaft is pretty easy to make if you can't source. Maybe a good idea to check the worm and toothed gear first though. Can send you measurements of the driveshaft if you like

why replace it? It's a solid piece of kit and the driveshaft is pretty easy to make if you can't source. Maybe a good idea to check the worm and toothed gear first though. Can send you measurements of the driveshaft if you like
Thank you for the offer. I’m wondering why the driveshaft was removed in the first place. Mine is also missing the fairlead, which also makes me think there was something wrong with the winch. I’m afraid I’d be throwing good money after bad.

Thank you for the offer. I’m wondering why the driveshaft was removed in the first place. Mine is also missing the fairlead, which also makes me think there was something wrong with the winch. I’m afraid I’d be throwing good money after bad.
True, or the previous owner just had no intentions of using the winch except for looks ;) He may have bought the winch and stuck it on without ever using it?

True, or the previous owner just had no intentions of using the winch except for looks ;) He may have bought the winch and stuck it on without ever using it?
Well, the transfer case has the PTO floor shifter and yoke, so I’m thinking it was dealer installed? From what I’ve seen, lots of these Aussie rigs had dealer installed Thomas winches from Brisbane.

Well, the transfer case has the PTO floor shifter and yoke, so I’m thinking it was dealer installed? From what I’ve seen, lots of these Aussie rigs had dealer installed Thomas winches from Brisbane.
That is correct. Thomas did a lot of them for cruisers as well as rovers. They still supply parts apparently, although I didn't get a reply on an email I sent last week on the seals of the worm shaft

I’ve communicated with them before. Very slow to respond, very pleasant, but not too helpful.

Supplying parts for these winches isn’t much of a business AFAICT, and so they’re not much motivated to encourage the business.

I’ve communicated with them before. Very slow to respond, very pleasant, but not too helpful.

Supplying parts for these winches isn’t much of a business AFAICT, and so they’re not much motivated to encourage the business.
not surprised. @tlaporte you worked on your Thomas a while ago didn't you? Do you have a closeup of the chain and sprocket? I have noticed that my chain is missing the connector/lock and cannot find info online on what it is supposed to look like. I prefer keeping the original chain. TIA
IMG_3362.jpg

not surprised. @tlaporte you worked on your Thomas a while ago didn't you? Do you have a closeup of the chain and sprocket? I have noticed that my chain is missing the connector/lock and cannot find info online on what it is supposed to look like. I prefer keeping the original chain. TIAView attachment 2560058
@Bas Zuidberg
Looks like this: Known in the USA as a master link for a roller chain.

1611274497298.png

A complete one. Search on "flex chain coupler".

1611275575492.png

USA size chart Roller Chain Size Chart / Roller Chain Dimensions Chart - https://www.peerchain.com/chain-pitches/

Last edited:
not surprised. @tlaporte you worked on your Thomas a while ago didn't you? Do you have a closeup of the chain and sprocket? I have noticed that my chain is missing the connector/lock and cannot find info online on what it is supposed to look like. I prefer keeping the original chain. TIAView attachment 2560058
I’m late to the party but my chain is exactly like that…..except half the link is out of one side of the chain, anyone know where to get a new link and circlip?

The first place I'd try is Motion industries (they're in the US). They supply power transmission components to industry. You'll need to know the pitch of the chain (the distance between the links) and the chain width (maybe the roller diameter, too). If they can't find one, they'll be able to point you to someone who can.

I'm sure there is a similar distributor in the Antipodes.

And here is a more elaborate manual, including installation instructions for various landcruiser models
This would be handy, in the Resources section.

The first place I'd try is Motion industries (they're in the US). They supply power transmission components to industry. You'll need to know the pitch of the chain (the distance between the links) and the chain width (maybe the roller diameter, too). If they can't find one, they'll be able to point you to someone who can.

I'm sure there is a similar distributor in the Antipodes.
They are made in Australia in Brisbane or are a distributor….I’ll give them a crack.
IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom