This is overpriced...what would you offer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m not arguing against that.

What I am saying is that someone else will find value in the mileage and will be willing to pay up for it.

Last edited:
I'm going to be the dissenter here and say that pricing is exactly where it should be in this market.

129k miles? That's crazy low. Expect to pay a big premium for that.

Booster already replaced? Score!

Brakes and trans flushed? Score!

AHC not showing on records: totally normal from what I've seen. few rigs out there will show constant AHC flushes. The lack of flushes being performed or shown on Lexus service history is not a surefire sign of failures to come. The AHC system is very robust. Many folks neglect it to hell and back and it lives on well past 150k. That being said, if you don't desire AHC (due to budgetary reasons or a desire to keep things simple) buy an LC.

Timing belt service: If the dealer dig a thorough job, I'm not sure they'd say anything beyond "Timing Belt Service". Lexus does not necessarily call out every line item on a job. No component is at risk of failure at 129k (even the timing belt) with the exception of the heater tees. A thorough timing belt job matters a lot at 200k. It barely matters at a measly 100k. :)

Only concern: Steering rack and CVs. Budget $3k for that and you're more than covered. If you have more time than money and can wrench, you can complete those repairs with OEM parts for under $1500. I just did CVs this year.

I’ve read about the earlier 100 series brake system failures, so I was wondering about more than the booster needing replaced when it starts to have problems.

As far as I'm concerned, the 100 series has one "braking problem" and it's the booster pump. All other components wear like normal. The pump failure is normally electrical within the wiring or the motor itself and I don't believe brake fluid condition is related in any way.

If you want a low mileage Lexus, that sounds like a good deal from a dealer. If you want to save some cash, find a higher mileage rig via private party.

I'm having my rack replaced as we speak. The part alone is $580. Labor is around $800. CVs are going to run between $150 (reman) to $400 (OEM Toyota) plus labor (if you don't do it yourself).

I see a LOT of missed maintenance in that list. Makes me think "what else did they neglect"? Better have $5k set aside for baselining and hope the AHC is fine (though they likely skipped servicing it as well....probably all original fluid). $15.9 for the year and mileage would be good a fully sorted LX. I think they are about $7k high given what you've listed. I'd offer $8k at most.

I think we are all looking at this vehicle differently and that is fine. Its why he asked for opinions on the price.

One example is the disparity between replacing CV's at $800 plus labor and the majority of folks on here who are able to DIY grease and reboot for $150 when they find torn boots.

Steering rack if DIY (which many have done on here, including myself) is $500 from McGeorge.

I think this vehicle looks to have been reasonably well maintained, with what sounds like a big bill for maintenance that induced the P.O. to trade the vehicle in.

This is how many of us get great deals on our Land Cruisers (or at least frees a few LC's to be purchased). Someone maintained it for 15-20 years to a high level, and eventually got to the point where they were getting preventative maintenance bills on a 10-15k vehicle that they got sick of.

If you don't do your own maintenance, the phrase "getting nickled and dimed" is going to be replaced by "getting arm'd and a leg'd" by paying the dealership for upkeep and repairs. They are going to screw up the work anyways, so be prepared for that.

Most people (including the P.O. of my vehicle) was very upfront about the fact he'd maintained it for 20 years at the dealership, and they had just quoted him $3500+ for another 30k service interval and some other simple (but time intensive repairs) that he'd rather put into a new 200 series. I did the service myself and got a great deal, and the P.O. felt like he got a fair price all things considered.

This is a low miles LX from Tuscon that has had regular driveline fluid flushes and brake servicing that needs some typical high mileage repairs and preventative maintenance. They are getting more rare to find like this.

Last edited:
Dealer contacted me and said it sold. I asked what they got for it. He said close to asking (I’ve noticed dealers say that about every vehicle sold when I was trying to get comps for a different vehicle), but I’ll take it at face value until and if I learn differently. I think the prices are increasing on even the lexus since I started looking a few years ago.

Dealer contacted me and said it sold. I asked what they got for it. He said close to asking (I’ve noticed dealers say that about every vehicle sold when I was trying to get comps for a different vehicle), but I’ll take it at face value until and if I learn differently. I think the prices are increasing on even the lexus since I started looking a few years ago.

Don't let that dissuade you, someone who is in love with the story of LC will overlook issues just to own one, they will then show up on these forums "I bought a truck that needs too much work, is this too much rust, the dealer lied to me, these trucks are so expensive with all the things I've had to fix". Take your time, find that one owner gem in great condition who loved it and religiously took it to dealer for all maintenance schedules and fixed and you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like it was a pretty well maintained LX to be honest. You missed out.

FWIW, @murf recently posted on the Copper State Cruiser site that as of 1/1/20 Toyota cut the price on many OEM parts - including the steering rack:

Here's his post:

GREAT NEWS!

Like they did last year on radiators, Toyota is becoming more price competitive with many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be an opportunity for increased parts sales across the board.

Product CategoryReduction %
Air Flow Meter-22%
Brake Caliper-44%
Throttle Body-31%
Steering Rack-30%
Starter-51%
Alternator-50%
A/C Compressor-43%
Serpentine Belts-45%
Power Steering Reservoir-25%

toyota is less excited to announce that they raised their full retail prices on many other items to justify these discounts on frequent wear parts. i unfortunately cant prove it but i had my usual dealer site up on the UCA item page last week. came back to work the next day with the tab still open, hit reload on the tab, and the price went up about $40 i think. i was sure to look if the discount % went down and it did not. if anyone has proof of a UCA full price from last year and compare to this year, i would love to be proven wrong.

Maybe a little late to the conversation, but here in Bozeman, LC and LX prices are just high compared to others. Winter is long and the overlanding craze is popular here which may explain why there's dozens of 100s in town. Peak Auto, local dealer, usually has one or two for sale and they are in the price range you're talking about. :meh:

It definitely seems like prices are holding higher and I agree there are people who will buy and then find out they have to put $4K into it. I’d rather pay a fee thou more for a 2006 or ‘07. I’ll find one, might have to head to Tejas!

Sounds like it was a pretty well maintained LX to be honest. You missed out.

yeah, some people probably think so but I don’t want to pay that much for a 2003 LX.

toyota is less excited to announce that they raised their full retail prices on many other items to justify these discounts on frequent wear parts. i unfortunately cant prove it but i had my usual dealer site up on the UCA item page last week. came back to work the next day with the tab still open, hit reload on the tab, and the price went up about $40 i think. i was sure to look if the discount % went down and it did not. if anyone has proof of a UCA full price from last year and compare to this year, i would love to be proven wrong.

Splash shield went up about $30 which is something I had been lolly gagging on so I'm pretty bummed about that. Rear AHC springs went up about $15-$20 each side too. You're not going crazy.

Where can I find one of these newly discounted steering racks?

ice competitive with many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be
FWIW, @murf recently posted on the Copper State Cruiser site that as of 1/1/20 Toyota cut the price on many OEM parts - including the steering rack:

Here's his post:

GREAT NEWS!

Like they did last year on radiators, Toyota is becoming more price competitive with many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be an opportunity for increased parts sales across the board.

Product CategoryReduction %
Air Flow Meter-22%
Brake Caliper-44%
Throttle Body-31%
Steering Rack-30%
Starter-51%
Alternator-50%
A/C Compressor-43%
Serpentine Belts-45%
Power Steering Reservoir-25%

Splash shield went up about $30 which is something I had been lolly gagging on so I'm pretty bummed about that. Rear AHC springs went up about $15-$20 each side too. You're not going crazy.

if youre looking for the large mid plastic one, i got the chinese copy off ebay for a very good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom