They walk among us... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

That’s unfortunate. Certainly ruins it for everyone else. I did that trail in the mid 90’s when I was 18 in a stock Wrangler. I don’t remember it being that technical, just narrow. Perhaps vehicles have grown in size so much it makes it much more difficult now.

Speaking of big vehicles, I was there in June (during the Pig Party) and took the kids in the new sequoia to see Bridal Veil Falls. Just gorgeous.

IMG_8639.jpeg

I've always said that the bravest man who ever walked the face of the earth shingled the backside of the roof of the old power plant at Bridal Veil Falls. His butt was hanging out over a several thousand foot fall to the valley floor at Telluride.
We've done Black Bear Pass many times, in everything from a '46 Jeep with worn out stock suspension to a full-size Blazer, a Suburban and a couple of Land Cruisers. When San Miguel County has it officially opened it's as Hank says, very narrow in spots. Most vehicles have to pull in, back up and take at least a second turn at the several switchbacks. Not particularly hard, just demands constant care and attention. Scariest part is driving off the steps at the very top and experiencing that drop, though it's been mitigated a little with fill over the years.
Saddest part of the incident is it's a fellow Toyota owner that caused the problem.

Last edited:
Must've been tough in the Suburban 🤔😉
Took a few more back and forths at each switchback in the '83 Suburban.
I've come to the conclusion after 60+ years in 4wd that you can get damn near anything almost anywhere with a little patience and caution so long as you're not too stupid to back off when it's necessary. This'll be the first hunting season since 1998 I won't be in an old ex-govt. long bed F350 crew cab. It hauled a lot of elk and deer out of some surprising places. Moved down to an old long bed extended cab F250 since last season so things might be marginally easier. Some people rescue pets...I rescue old trucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom