The welders thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it's not just you. I usually can't see very well where I'm going. Next time I'll try with powerful halogen lights. I hope it'll make a difference.

what's the problem with sparks? The bulbs are covered. And far enough.

but anyway, a good thought, the 500W halogens I used were giving out a lot of heat, I could feel it even in leathers. And I had to use a separate circuit to run them. I saw big LED ones at costco for something like $35.

added: looked it up, the costco work lights are Snap-on and stated to be 2000 lumens. No mention of amps or halogen equivalency though.

Last edited:
Try some of the high power led work lights - a lot safer than a halogen with the welding sparks .
Sarge

Are halogen lights specifically unsafe? I ask because the lights I have are sealed aluminum housings with a big glass window (and gasket) that the light comes through. I don't see any sparks harming it.

That said, I tend to put the lights a good bit away from the weldment just so I have room to move around.

it's not just you. I usually can't see very well where I'm going. .

thanks ! I was about to think I'm the only one .. I have this

511ms9TaD0L._SY300_.jpg

and it works wonders . . the issue it's ( with me ) sometimes you block the light when moving along the weld ..

thanks ! I was about to think I'm the only one .. I have this

511ms9TaD0L._SY300_.jpg

and it works wonders . . the issue it's ( with me ) sometimes you block the light when moving along the weld ..

So you're using the light while welding? How?

Once I strike an arc everything other than the arc and puddle are black, no matter what the ambient light is.

A light is just so you can see to get started . My point about the halogen is the glass lens - if it's too close to the work the sparks can pop the glass pretty violently . I generally use an led work light or flashlight and there are also small clip on spot helpers that can fit onto your hood from some of the welding suppliers - forget the brand name now .
Sarge

having higher levels of ambient light aimed at the part near the arc has to help to some degree if it brings the surroundings closer in perceived lighting to the arc itself, since your eye probably adjusts to handle the highest level of brightness. The question I guess would be whether a high intensity light is enough to make a significant difference or not. But since I usually can't see much besides the arc and puddle anyway it is bound to either help or at worst make no difference. So I'll try.
And it's not my hood, it's a very good auto darkening one and has nice adjustability. Just that if I make the arc a comfortable visual level, then everything else is too dark if there is no clear contrast due to shapes etc. I'm talking mostly surface welding here with no reference, if there is a gap, say, that is easier to see. I tried putting in some soapstone lines and that seems to help a bit but not in a major way. I'll try some sort of silver pencil some time too.
Must be my old eyes... Shouldn't have worn them out looking so much at pretty girls when young...

Nah, was worth it! Welding be damned! :D

When you'r ( I ) welding on your welding bench, proper position, comfortable, day light, it's easy and nice .. this happen to me while welding on the rig .. up side down, or last case the shock tower on Tencha.. doing pulling was a fail, I change to pushing little bit better, but still ..

I might play with the settings on my helmet see if that helps me .. this it's the one I use ..

259485_Digital_Elite_Vintage_Roadster_2.jpg

Just for fun , try a straight #10 gold shade on a cheap standard hood such as the Jackson ($30) . Those gold shades seem to help a lot with "over 50 eyes" . I'm losing my sight and have the same issues - I run my tig with 8-9 shade most of time , otherwise I can't see . Stick welding is getting harder as well , tough to see the puddle and joint with any clarity . Cheater inserts help some at times , most times just makes it worse . I thing the toughest part is when welding in bright sunlight that shining through the back of my hood - can't see a damned thing ....
Sarge

Best non-auto lens ever made... NLA (OF COURSE) .. I have 9 of these left and they are more valuable than gold... AO sold the patents to NASA to be used in their helmet shields. Several weld-cool lens available today, but not the same. I've been offered upwards of $1K a piece for these. Even the ones with edge chips are selling for 250-500$

I love my Jackson BH3 hood with Balder W70 Tech. The sensitivity settings ACTUALLY WORK! and the weld is crystal clear. My old Speedglas hood is covered in dust somewhere....

J

$_57.JPG

Just for fun , try a straight #10 gold shade on a cheap standard hood such as the Jackson ($30) . Those gold shades seem to help a lot with "over 50 eyes" . I'm losing my sight and have the same issues - I run my tig with 8-9 shade most of time , otherwise I can't see . Stick welding is getting harder as well , tough to see the puddle and joint with any clarity . Cheater inserts help some at times , most times just makes it worse . I thing the toughest part is when welding in bright sunlight that shining through the back of my hood - can't see a damned thing ....
Sarge

Sarge put a bandana/towel on the adjustment strap and drape it over your shoulders. I was on a job rathole welding 96" water main sleeves and kept getting arc flash from other welders. This eliminated it for me. Or switch to a pipeliner "Sarge's" or Wendy pancake. That will for sure eliminate ANY SUN or ARC..

J

This is a mask, not a full blown hood like that. I don't see this being any hotter than a regular helmet over a head rag.

I'm not afiliated, but this looks like a cool way to be able to more easily weld in confined spaces (underneath/in the truck):

I noticed today that, due to astigmatism I assume, I FINALLY was able to see a real, true 'puddle' after welding a longer bead. I was only welding short beads (2-4") before & all I could see was a 'starburst' from when the arc started. After welding half a bumper today, running longer beads for a prolonged period of time w/the hood down, my eyes finally acclimated & I could actually see a weld puddle. It was a real 'ah-ha!!!!' moment.

I've used pieces of fr suits to make "drapes" on the back of my hood - it works but the constant up/down and crawling around under the pipe makes it a pain in the ass . Eyes are shot to the point I don't weld pipe any longer - just can't trust my sight anymore . I do spend a lot of time around the Fitters and Pipeliners - they come up with some interesting shield ideas for sure , lol .
Sarge

20150807_212116.jpg
I made this yesterday for a birthday present for my dad. Super happy with how it came out.

Nice!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom