The Trail Ride Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ride is called "Weekend in the Smokies" and is hosted by True Patriot Inc.

file.php

Last edited:
Trail ride was pretty awesome today. The maiden voyage felt great, got two dents from the ride. Not bad ones. Now for a few pictures
Resized_20170121_113548.jpg
Resized952017012195113550.jpg
Resized_20170121_113635.jpg

Hot D@mn!! Looks great @bluehawk I know it had to feel amazing getting it out after all that work.

Hot D@mn!! Looks great @bluehawk I know it had to feel amazing getting it out after all that work.

Thanks Matthew, I was really surprised on how well it did. The low end torque is amazing, only had to use the air lockers a couple of times.

We're over in the Knoxville area today visiting family. We're thinking about hitting some "easy" trails/fire service roads tomorrow before heading back home. Besides Windrock, any good spots to visit? We're in the Lexus and I left all of my recovery gear at the house.
IMG_8609.JPG

She looks like she won't get stuck anyway, Jamie! Go on and run Rattle Rock!
I'm not worried about the abilities, Joel. But, Kathy is with me and she'll object to anything more difficult than the Tennessee Dirt Devil. Since it's her rig, I had better oblige. ;)

Me and a couple buddies made a trip over to western NC yesterday and hit Cataloochee and Hurricane Creek again, weather was perfect.

Nice looking 100 series, dude! Well equipped...
Thanks! I bought it stock 2.5 months ago, it's been a fun couple months getting it to this point. Still have a dual battery system and front air locker to go but that's about it.

So...where is this Cataloochee/Hurrricane Creek area? That looks like the kind of stuff I could actually talk my family into checking out.

So...where is this Cataloochee/Hurrricane Creek area? That looks like the kind of stuff I could actually talk my family into checking out.

I take the northern entrance in to Cataloochee. Head east on 40 toward Asheville, take the Waterville exit, right at the end of the ramp, follow around Waterville Dam and go about 1 to 1.5 miles, left on Mt Sterling Rd, you can take that all the way into Cataloochee Valley. This is the area where they stocked all the Elk. I've been up there 3 times and still haven't seen any. Everyone says go early in the morning or late afternoon to see them. Once you go through the valley you will take a left at the blacktop road, top of the hill and right on a gravel road that takes you to exit 20 on I-40. Head back west on 40, when you see mile marker 8, start looking for the Harmon's Den sign, be ready to turn, put your emergency lights on and at the end of the guard rail get ready to turn right off the interstate and be careful. Hurricane Creek Trail starts there. You'll need to look at a map but the trail is probably 3 miles long with several creek crossings. When you get out toward the end you will get back on a gravel road, take the first left, that's probably the toughest part of the trail. at the end you will be on Max Patch Rd, take a left and it will take you up to Max Patch or take a right and you will come back out on the Harmon's Den exit on 40.

Here's the map for the Hurricane Creek trailhead
Google Maps

Last edited:
Here's a video of what it's like turning off 40 on the Hurricane Creek.

Holy Crap!! That is nuts, I like it. I need to make this loop one Saturday when I am up visiting the in-laws

The first time I started on the interstate, had about 10 cars behind me and I wasn't 100% sure where the turn was, several folks behind me were not happy. Last weekend I started on Max Patch Rd and made my exit on to 40, it was a lot easier. I've heard Richland Rd is a good trail over between Blowing Rock and Boone, NC, going to try to get over there in the next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom