The Sancha Rebuild Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

..and have changed my mind yet again. ..

What good is a mind if you cannot change it ? I think you are doing the right thing. Preventing rust now will cost much less than removing & fixing it later ..;)

Arizona, get a swamp cooler. They work great and can save big $$.

That's the plan, just trying to find one that is in my budget. At the moment, I have more time than money. :)

Today might have been the best day of the project so far. I can now work in the garage without suffering heat stroke.

Let the teardown continue!
GarageStuff-4.jpg

Wow, my last post was in June and here it is in August. Sadly I don't have a lot to report, life sort of got in the way a little over the summer and derailed all of my cruiser plans. I was able to clean out my garage though and get some room made for the roll cage and tub.

I have also borrowed a hoist from a feller cruiser friend and plan on getting the tub removed in the next week or so.

Hopefully I will have something to post, and lots more pictures in the very near future.

I guess my last post motivated me to go out to the garage this afternoon. I was able to get the tub off of the frame with very little trouble. 3 of the bolts came right out, all the rest had to be cut out with a sawzall. About 2 hours of total work, which felt like 8 since it was 95 in the garage, but the tub is off.

Next step will be to power wash the frame and put a fresh coat of zero rust, or similar, on it. Depending on money, I think I am pretty much on track of having her done by the end of the year.
SanchaFrame.jpg

that's a good goal to have. Your very own Christmas Present.

Wow, it has been a little over a month since my last post. I have been making progress on the project but nothing that really shows up in pictures.

I haven't cleaned the frame yet as I am wanting to get a bunch of stuff all ready at the same time. I have also been sourcing parts for the project so there has been a lot of time spent on the classified section here as well as on CL.

Since I am trying to do all of this right, but still trying to save as much money as possible given our current economic times, I have been really looking hard for deals.

Going to look at an engine this afternoon from a fellow mudder so hopefully one of the big items will be checked off the list today.

Good news, I picked up an engine for the project, a TBI 350 that was in the garage of a fellow mudder. It is complete minus the alternator and I got it for what I thought was a very fair price for a complete motor.

I am now taking some time to clean it up. I am also giving some thought to breaking it down some to have parts hot tanked as well as being able to inspect them and take care of anything that I might need to while in there.

So far I have removed all the cables and pulled the throttle body off of the manifold, which I am planning on rebuilding while it is off. I have also pulled all the serpentine stuff off of the front for the cleanup. The only hard part of that was getting the pulley off of the power steering pump but a trip to Pep Boys and picking up a puller took care of that.

This shot is how it looked when I brought it home. I will be posting up more pictures of the cleanup really soon.
_SW19023.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pictures from this weekends engine cleanup. My next task for the engine will be getting the intake manifold removed and find somewhere to have it hot tanked. I am looking around at places to have the TBI rebuilt.
_SW19196.jpg
_SW19186.jpg
_SW19188.jpg

I didn't have a lot of time this weekend to work in the garage, we had thunderstorms roll through the area last night, that means that I grab camera gear and head out to get lightning images.

2010 Storm Chasing - ScottWood's Photos

I was able to get a one of the old motor mounts and the steering box mount removed from the frame before my grinding wheel wore out. Picked up a couple new ones at Home Depot and will get the rest of that done over the next week.

I was going to build a work bench to put the disk brake front axle onto for rebuild, but I found a really heavy duty one on CL for a really good price so I went out yesterday afternoon and picked it up. I got the axle hoisted onto it this morning. I need to order the rebuild parts and get started on the axle.
_SW19433.jpg

Hey Scott,

What made this one HD? I didn't see it on CL, or else i would have picked it up for myself. :)

The frame is made of welded steel angle iron, but I am convinced that the casters could be used to wheel the space shuttle to the launch pad, they are huge. :)

Just ordered a knuckle rebuild kit with Koyo wheel bearings as well as a set of the Marlin HD seals from Cruiser Outfitters.

The frame is made of welded steel angle iron, but I am convinced that the casters could be used to wheel the space shuttle to the launch pad, they are huge. :)

I'm always missing out the good deals, and i don't want to build one. good find.

Since it was so nice out tonight, our first cool night in many months, I decided to throw open the garage doors and get to work on my axle.

A little back story on this axle. I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. It came out of a 1978 FJ40 that was being parted out. It sat in my open carport for a couple years before I moved to a house that had a garage and then sat in the garage for a few more years after that. I bought it with the intention of rebuilding it and installing it in my 68.

I got started tonight with taking the calipers off, both the calipers and rotors will need replaced, and got one of the Warn hubs pulled off. I had read that this is a messy job, and I can say that it is indeed messy. :) I will get the other hub pulled off tomorrow night after work and will then get them cleaned up.

The only thing that seemed odd to me is that the large nut, you can see it in the attached picture, is actually loose, is this normal?

I do have one more question about the knuckles. I haven't measured the preload yet, but as I move them through their entire turning travel, there seems to be something of a detent in the middle, or where they would be if the wheels were straight. Is this "detent" normal or is there some wear in there that I need to deal with?
P1030041.jpg
P1030043.jpg

Spent a couple more hours in the garage tonight and made some good progress.

Still just working on one side but managed to get all the way down to having the axle out. What I have read about this being a messy job is 100% accurate. I really need to re-think my parts cleaning strategy, simply using a couple tubs with degreaser isn't going to cut it. I am thinking that I need to get a parts cleaner from HF.

Other than 32 years of dirt and grime, I am pleased with how good of shape that this axle is in. Everything that I have pulled out, including the wheel bearings appear to be in great shape. I am actually considering re-using them and keeping the new ones I have ordered as spares, any thoughts on that?
P1030049.jpg
P1030051.jpg
P1030053.jpg

I would replace the wheel bearings. they don't break very often. Since you're rebuilding it, might as well do it right the first time.

Another night out in the garage and I have the left side completely torn down. It was a messy job but really not at all hard. Will get tearing into the right side very soon and have a lot of the parts from the left side in a bucket of gasoline soaking to get all the grease and grime off of them.

I am still trying to get the hub and rotor separated but I am sure I will get that sorted out.

The only problem I had was that when I pulled the bolts for the steering arm, 2 of the studs came out instead of the nuts coming off. I don't think that will be that big of a deal, and will put some locktite in there when I reassemble everything.
P1030056Small.jpg
P1030062Small.jpg

I have no idea if it is the easier half or the harder half, but half of my axle rebuild is done. As of this afternoon I have the axle completely torn down. For the most part it was in very good shape, but the passenger side had bad knuckle bearings and very little grease packing everything as compared to the drivers side.

I have a case of Zero Rust paint coming and will be cleaning and painting all of the housings and external parts as I put it all back together. Not all of my parts have arrived yet so I am in sort of a waiting game for that stuff as well.

I have to confess, this tear down was a lot of fun. I have never done anything like this before and I can honestly say that the front axle for a 4×4 doesn’t hold all that much mystery to me any longer.
P1030066Small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom