The Official 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT/1HD-FTE Clutch Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With all the power/torque upgrades out there, clutch limits are quickly being reached. Anyone out there found something that can handle the strain?

Pics of motor causing the damage welcome.

Stealing from the other thread to put in here.

Doesn't higher clamping pressure have an adverse affect on bearings though? It sounds like the ideal would be to have it as close to a normal clutch as possible at low revs (under 1600) and then the grabbing factor at high revs (2000+). It's only at higher revs mine was letting go because that is when the torque would increase markedly. Do clutches exist that actuate depending on rpm?

Higher pedal effort means your putting more thrust pressure to activate the clutch which over a long long long time would wear out the engines thrust bearing quicker, it would take a long long time though.

Some clutches claim to have greater clamping as rpm increases due to centrifugal forces, cant remember which ones and havent worked it out.

I find it pretty funny they made a 6.5td GM V8 clutch to handle 1000Nm. Because the rest of those engines can't.

Thread started, its even "official" so must be legit :hmm:

Bernie lets see what you come up with for the clutch, maybe odor eater makes one for the smell? :clap:

The knock on effect of installing these turbos is not surprising, the shortcomings of standard equipment soon becomes apparent. I am left wondering if an exhaust (over 3") and injector upgrade thread will soon grow around this turbo along with all the others....

Once upon a time I was happy with my std turbo, 14lb boost, 3" exhaust, little bit extra fuel and cross country top mount. And you know what? life was good and I felt complete, but nooooooooo Graeme just had to come along and reboot my power addiction.

Now i work a second job to fund intake, intercooler and pump improvements then stay awake at night e-stalking you fellow addicts till three in the morning......... :flipoff2:

Don't worry yourself too much, it's how I entered another childhood phase with a power up need, now just wait until you chat with Graeme and the addiction fever starts in the middle of the night with the yelling "got to get me one of them better turbo's" :eek::eek: then if only I had a better airbox, better exhaust, better intercooling, better injector pump, better injectors, totally scarry on the family, too.

My issues are only when changing between gears. I like the feel of the organic/ceramic combo clutch for offroad, just enough slip when moving from stationary so your not spitting your rock packing out.

I need more clamp pressure I'd say, that 'should' decrease the 'take up' time.

I smoked the clutch hard getting up rocky horror at Tuff truck, slipped for a solid 5 seconds at 4500rpm haha stinky!

According to Exedy the stock Toyota 300mm PP it's 650kg ( 1430lbs ) Clamping Load

I have TYC617 from Exedy which have 918kg ( around 2000lbs ) Clamping Load

Exedy it's working on Safari Tuff version that will be under code TYC617TF which will have 1050kg ( around 2300 lbs ) Clamping Load on the set position ... they are suppose to be ready to release that one this year ..

Edit: Exedy said .. more clamping load will sure affect the pedal feel .. and since my 80 it's my DD and I live in the middle of the City traffic jams are my day by day .. this it's a concern for me ... anyhow if by the time I decide to do my clutch I found a better option I will try it for sure ..

Edit II : If I try hard launch from 2nd gear ( said releasing clutch around 1400 rpm ) with alcohol injection and fan cooling IC my clutch ( stock 300mm right now ) will slip the hole rpm range ..

Last edited:
Thanks for that Tapage. Exedy Aus couldn't tell me what the stock clutch clamp pressure was. The 300mm safari tuff version (2300lbs) still won't be enough. 2800-3200lbs is looking good. Ill have these tested in a few weeks.

I've got an Exedy Sports Tuff (TYK-6874HD) going into mine in a month. I'm curious to how heavy the pedal will be.

I had a sports tuff (300mm). Didn't last very long. Clutch feel was good. But the new custom clutch was less, pedal feel wise.

I've got an Exedy Sports Tuff (TYK-6874HD) going into mine in a month. I'm curious to how heavy the pedal will be.

Did you happen to know how much clamping pressure it have at set point .?

Tapage, let me know if you want a clutch shipped over to you aswell.

How much clamping pressure you test for those you offer .? how firm/hard it's the pedal feel .. ?

Can only speak for the organic. 3200lbs, and it's not really hard at all. I'm getting some feed back from those already running this clutch. Ill qoute it up when I get it.

Can only speak for the organic. 3200lbs, and it's not really hard at all. I'm getting some feed back from those already running this clutch. Ill qoute it up when I get it.

Interested, although I run the 280mm. I could get a hdt flywheel so I can run a 300mm

TBB, have you made any inquiries about a twin disc clutch at any point?

This makes so much sense to me.
All else being the same, ie the same diameter, same pedal effort, same spring clamping pressure etc you get double the friction surface contact area so the clutch should be capable of double the torque, and I guess arguably double the life or better.

If you have a clutch that is never close to being overloaded, its going to last a hell of a lot longer than one that is marginal, plus you can avoid compromising on driveability.

obviously cost comes into it, but if you pay double the price, and it lasts twice as long or better, its better economy.

It would be interesting to do a real side by side comparison of cost and benefit of both twin disc clutch and super duty single disc clutch.

Many trucks and tractors use twin disc clutches as well as high output street cars, race cars, drag racing cars etc.
To my thinking there has to be more than some merit, particularly when you are asking so much of the standard clutch in a heavy beast of a car.

Can only speak for the organic. 3200lbs, and it's not really hard at all

Ok .. I'm paying close attention .. looking forward on that feedback ..

Last edited:
12" twin disc ceramic button clutch, 3200lb clamping force, rated for 485kw and ~1700Nm torque

or an organic friction plate clutch rated at 3200lb clamping force, 410kw and 1500Nm

from Cody's link above

http://www.valairinc.com/performance/Dmaxdd.html

This is for a Duramax, given the sizing, I would think it would warrant some investigation as an alternative?
The input shaft splines are different, but customisation may be an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom