The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fitted my oversize PDI and it took some effort as it is tight.The grill took a fair beating ...

Very happy with the results though as my pre turbo EGTs dropped by about 100 to 150 Deg C over the entire range.
I’m looking at your install and I have a couple of questions for everyone who has FMIC.
Are any of you adding rubber isolators to the four mounting points? Does the upper bracket
with the hood latch get its support from the body of the intercooler now? Tmarx- any chance of a
photo of the bottom support brackets for the intercooler?

I’m looking at your install and I have a couple of questions for everyone who has FMIC.
Are any of you adding rubber isolators to the four mounting points? Does the upper bracket
with the hood latch get its support from the body of the intercooler now? Tmarx- any chance of a
photo of the bottom support brackets for the intercooler?

I only used top two mounts for my FMIC. I used silicone couplers on the pipe that absorb vibrations and have had no problems.

C15532C2-31B6-47F9-B78B-DE8DCE23F1EE.jpeg

I only used top two mounts for my FMIC. I used silicone couplers on the pipe that absorb vibrations and have had no problems.
So nothing attached on the bottom?

So nothing attached on the bottom?

YyCch4bAHg7zZ3gZjst1_DsdNE0MTdbHWahPgZdiM0owA6Kn8hV6w-F5PwpIm1O79rS7Z2hNQScTdmJfABx7D80ILzVABdrDKcph1CioQRyPO4tveICXVXhgeJ2yN9epOhyVmwDjtuBoii5_Oj0S8a-BN3SLx3sg1OBeT1F88YUtBxQoXgAbFns6HLzw3K8DH_LB3mBTXNTwHUps4iOYj0J3Upgxhm0BWS8o-kiqSro1ORIlYKvLkY_YLXH8UxKFN8mQtAtk-srsAmp5XfSxU4Vua0PWCyL8QWM6p55Nz5AFEcUTsTw8_edJB9qCir6TqbxGjCPAn7e0n0Ku7Cs20YnTAIgyKGE3g6QhaouyNFTgwSPuA7cSplrKA_EwdVrrVbxoFNdM5HRPgs1INhczdJw0QlI9kjgfUxypbq9fjrontaRHgd69X6po9TNSjBmygCG9sICUpEzOFV5qZG7yKa-UzGJ9tvMjyee8OQ3HllMYi3mRJZdbuiadWdLNaEA3CWs1gIjoCn-svAFGqAQBgTmxwtcmtyt7kOFnkMgIy3z8S1g29EHjV5rdP1-8FouI3AEAMIWpEjSaQvCQo7tNOwVukoCngQ2Lrv0yLrc6o8Ia0ksoyGb42Zpyb6cGuDDqHndMA6BKHjR3IoJ1Qql4UzKhbmf6_buIfRn0SOwDykCs6-JyP9zTeFA8cCrQGYqWfM8FN0Tih3zZwPf1lvDUCjydQAS8sPfnpDmnTd9sWk8kO1QH=w444-h789-no

I did not use any rubber isolators as there were none supplied in the very comprehensive kit, but I did use the 2 bottom mounts - you have to measure and drill through the front of the chassis cross member to line up with the rear OEM holes.The kit has crush type spacers to support the mounting bolts inside the crossmember.

Last edited:
Hi!!

In your FMIC installs do you remove the the wood latch reinforcement or trim it to fit?

Cheers

Hi!!

In your FMIC installs do you remove the the wood latch reinforcement or trim it to fit?

Cheers

With the PDI kit for the 75 series you remove it.

I just purchased this w2a kit from eBay - came from China and was on my doorstep within a week. Quality of the intercooler and heat exchanger look great. The water pump and wiring kit look cheap and may need upgrading in the future. The holes for the intercooler bracket look to be in the wrong location so that will need modification. The intercooler has HPD punched on the tanks. I have to finish installing my turbo and intake before installing this kit. I will post up some photos when installed.

View attachment 2148764View attachment 2148765View attachment 2148766View attachment 2148767View attachment 2148768

I've bought a similar one but with a bigger heat exchanger and also noticed the HPD labelling in the intercooler.. That caught my attention!

So I live in the states and just purchased a 93 hdj81 with the 1hdt. I still have a 91 lj78 with the 2lte (which will be for sale soon, hint hint). I love the 80 so far!
My question is this. Does the 1HDT have the inherent overheating and cracked head issues like the 2lte is known for. I always thought the 1hdt was a bad ass bullet proof engine, but seeing this thread and hearing about getting egt's down in the 1hdt ki day has me worried. Forgive the stupid question but I'm extremely new to this platform. Right now it runs like a champ, idles as smooth as butter, is super quiet and gobs more power than the anemic 2lte. I guess I'm just curious if under normal driving conditions you need to watch egt's like a hawk like you HAVE to do on the 2lte. TIA

So I live in the states and just purchased a 93 hdj81 with the 1hdt. I still have a 91 lj78 with the 2lte (which will be for sale soon, hint hint). I love the 80 so far!
My question is this. Does the 1HDT have the inherent overheating and cracked head issues like the 2lte is known for. I always thought the 1hdt was a bad ass bullet proof engine, but seeing this thread and hearing about getting egt's down in the 1hdt ki day has me worried. Forgive the stupid question but I'm extremely new to this platform. Right now it runs like a champ, idles as smooth as butter, is super quiet and gobs more power than the anemic 2lte. I guess I'm just curious if under normal driving conditions you need to watch egt's like a hawk like you HAVE to do on the 2lte. TIA

No they aren’t like the 2L motor. Usually stock 1HZ typically doesn’t like EGT over 1000F.
As long as you keep an eye on the 1HDT egt and keep the fuel system happy you’ll be good.

No they aren’t like the 2L motor. Usually stock 1HZ typically doesn’t like EGT over 1000F.
As long as you keep an eye on the 1HDT egt and keep the fuel system happy you’ll be good.
So wouldn't be a bad idea to install a pyro to monitor egt's on the 1hdt anyways, like I did on my 2lte. I guess I was a little naive and ignorant and assumed it wasnt a necessity on the 1hdt. Crazy to me that all manufacturers dont have OEM pyro's installed from factory. I'm not concerned at the moment to tune it and try to gain HP but will install a pyro just to keep an eye on it. Thank you

My apologies for the misinformation. Just what I’ve seen.
N/A diesel engines can handle much much higher EGT than one that's turbo'd. They don't have any restriction in the exhaust limiting the exhaust flow causing high EMP which holds some of the hot exhaust gasses inside the cylinders.

It IS a bullet proof engine, as long as the basic maintenance is done. And that's oil changes at a minimum.

The Aussie folks love the 1HDT, FT and FTEs.

And they beat them hard.

As with any engine it's going to need attention. Check the valve clearances, BEB (Bottom End Bearings). Timing belt, Water Pump.

The tranny mated to it, the A442 is what slows it dows as far as speed and what not, but as far as longevity is concerned, it lasts well if basic maintenance is done.

I've done the 3" exhaust, FMIC intercooler and a oil separator and it runs pretty decent. Starts up everytime and smooth.

I don't drive my truck as much but everytime I do, it brings me a smile to my face. I.LOVE.IT

So wouldn't be a bad idea to install a pyro to monitor egt's on the 1hdt anyways, like I did on my 2lte. I guess I was a little naive and ignorant and assumed it wasnt a necessity on the 1hdt. Crazy to me that all manufacturers dont have OEM pyro's installed from factory. I'm not concerned at the moment to tune it and try to gain HP but will install a pyro just to keep an eye on it. Thank you
There was a good and sinple pyro gauge that I got from Auber Instruments.

It has worked well for me so far. My EGT probe is post Turbo. Didnt want to drill the manifold.

It has worked well for me so far. My EGT probe is post Turbo. Didnt want to drill the manifold.
Yeah that's what I did on my 78 too. I think it is about 100 degrees different from placing it in the manifold. I fabricated a sweet air/water intercooler for it and it works well. Lots of work though. May just get an intercooler kit for the 80 since they are available. No such thing for a 78. I wonder if I can source a kit in the states so that I dont have to pay a huge shipping cost from Oz or somewhere else

That's the exact same one I installed on my 78. Fits nicely in the silly coin holder cutout with a little trimming

Yeah that's what I did on my 78 too. I think it is about 100 degrees different from placing it in the manifold. I fabricated a sweet air/water intercooler for it and it works well. Lots of work though. May just get an intercooler kit for the 80 since they are available. No such thing for a 78. I wonder if I can source a kit in the states so that I dont have to pay a huge shipping cost from Oz or somewhere else

I purchased a PDI Kit from Australia. I think I got it for around 1400 shipped.

Not too bad IMO as it came with everything I needed. Went together decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom