The Iron Mule: 12HT -> FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm buying a 24v 12HT/h55 to put into my 12v FJ60. I'm very excited about it. I'm picking it up next Tuesday. First two questions I have are about motor mounts -

1. Will the mounts (that you weld to the frame) from an HJ60 work for mounting the 12HT onto my FJ60 frame?

2. Are the rubber motor mounts from a 2F the same as the mounts for a 12HT? (I just broke my motor mount on the 2F and bought a new one. I want to know if I can use this new rubber motor mount for the 12HT.)

Thanks. Pics and questions to come as I get started on this swap.

Compression numbers:

1# 384
2# 379
3# 380
4# 378
5# 381
6# 380

Waiting to be picked up:
12HT_1.jpg
12HT_2.jpg
12HT_3.jpg

Cool....cable lockers and PTO winch.
You may have to change the shifter it will be offset to the right to much for LHD

No 2F and 2H motor mounts are not the same ..

Nice score in factory lockers levers and PTO .. the engne too are one of the best engines made by Toyota

Wow. Nice score Chad.

Looking forward to following this. Let me know if you need a hand or want to borrow my engine hoist.

1. yes the 2h mounts will work
2. the gas motor mounts will not. my advice buy new ones you can get them from 4wheel auto that is where i got mine,.

Wow. Nice score Chad.

Looking forward to following this. Let me know if you need a hand or want to borrow my engine hoist.

Thanks Andrew. I'll be doing the work out at David's (iron_giant) shop in Davis. I'll be going over all the stuff next week and then starting the work in June. My dad might be able to come down then to.

Last edited:
Chad-What did you do about smog? Do you already have a letter with a go-ahead? I'd love to do a similar swap one day.

the top ones are the 2h frame mounts and the very bottom are the motor mounts new for the 12HT . seee the differences

if you are going tobe running the vac transfer case you will need to source the vac lines that are metal off a 62 and the 4wd pigtail.
toyota 015.jpg
toyota 013.jpg
toyota 016.jpg

just make sure you add the tube to lube 5th gear. anything else or questions you may need dont hestitate to ask i did the same conversion you are doing. good luck

Anest

dogboy2 got the stuff from JDM Wholesale in Vancouver. I also have the instrument cluster but it is 24volt. Can I just replace the 24v bulbs with 12v bulbs and expect the cluster to work?

I've picked up the engine in Portland and it is now down in Davis. I need some help figuring out the relays and how to hook up the electrical stuff. I think I'm going to do the majority of the swap the week of June 22nd. The plan right now is to figure out what else I still need and get everything prepped so it all goes smoothly. I know I need a vacuum canister. The HJ61s used a vacuum canister, right? First thing I need to do is pull the 2F, I guess.

Can I get the 12HT FSM from Toyota?

Last edited:
Chad-What did you do about smog? Do you already have a letter with a go-ahead? I'd love to do a similar swap one day.

Hi all. Newbie here :flipoff2:

Just about 3 weeks ago, I became the proud new owner of an 80 series that was converted to a diesel (1HZ). When I got it, the title was still showing the vehicle to be a gasser. This was a concern to me (I am in CA), but the PO assured me that changing the title was a simple process, and he was right.

All I did was took it to the DMV (actaully, I went to AAA, but same difference) to do the change of ownership, and when they asked about smog, I told them it had been converted to a diesel. The woman helping asked if the truck was with me, which it was, so she came out to the parking lot to inspect.

She had me pop the hood...visual conformation.
She had me start the motor...audible confirmation.
Then she had me open the fuel door and the cap...sniff test.

Then she said, "OK", and that was that.

We went back inside and I paid the sales tax. Ten days later, I got a crispy new diesel title in the mail.

I did not have any kind of a letter, nor was I asked for one.

The whole process was shockingly easy.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of doing a conversion but was concerned about the good ol' state of CA.

BTW, the difference between driving the 1HZ with a 5 speed compared to the 3FE is also shocking. So much power. It is fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom