The Great ONSC Gun Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am personally not a fan of a chest rig.

I never have been. They do look cool though.

It’s not a natural go to position ( unless you train a lot) which most won’t anyway.

But the biggest thing is that it will get in your way for a lot of things. It restricts personal movement and makes you even more bulky up high.

To me, the best place for a hand gun is higher near your hip area.

I love the chest rig idea for a radio or an admin pouch.

For additional stuff on your person.
I would just carry a back pack or a bag you can throw over your shoulder.

WTB - h&k usp 9mm compact. Any of you guys have one for sale or if you see one in a gun shop? I do not want new. Thank you.

On the open carry: I'd love to have some kind of LBE-like chest thing that I could take hunting, to the range (Waffle House, LOL kidding), etc. Put a holster in a comfy spot, have easy access to stuff. Everything I have seen is so expensive and don't want crap flapping around like a LBE or whatever. Still would want a place in the back to carry birds.

Basically, I need a Llama to follow me around wherever I go and hold a lot of crap - packs, couple rifle scabbards, maybe a ARB fridge . . you know, why not dream here.

Oh wait . .that is why we have trucks - got it ty.
Was talking to a co-worker today and he mentioned this, I thought about thus thread...

It says the Ultimate. I ordered right hand. I am left handed and lost all my N Frame guns. $50 plus shipping or see you at Relic Run.

IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5280.jpeg

Basically, I need a Llama to follow me around wherever I go and hold a lot of crap - packs, couple rifle scabbards, maybe a ARB fridge . . you know, why not dream here.
Fun fact: I’m not aware of any state in the Union that prohibits open or concealed carry on a llama…

Question for someone who is a NC resident and more familiar with laws than me. I saw that there was a range close to camp for Relic Run I might go to if I don't make it early enough to hit trails on that Friday. Is there any issue or is it frowned upon to conceal carry in URE during the day with a recognized VA permit? It looked to be okay from a quick google search but I'd like to make sure. I'd plan on locking and securing it once the beer comes out and at night obviously

It looks like NC shares reciprocity with VA, so you’re good there. Then it’s an issue of carrying in a Nat’l Forrest. Quick glance looks like it’s ok as long as it’s allowed in the state the forest is in.

@riley76865 the range is a good time. I remember having to purchase the range pass at the outpost where you will get your daily driving pass. A group of us will be heading on Wednesday from Roanoke.

@Comet yeah I saw about getting the pass
@FJ Noob from what I read it was allowed and no longer restricted to .22, I just wanted to double check with someone who might have done it before. Thanks!

Longtime lurker, first time poster in this thread.

More than 20 years ago I had a concealed weapons permit and carried a pistol in my Tahoe, as my job often took me into less-desirable areas (many of which in the decades since have since been gentrified and are too expensive for me to live in).

Things changed 17 years ago and for a variety of reasons, I sold my Glock. I have regretted it ever since. For home protection I currently have a very unreliable Jennings 9mm and have been concerned that it would malfunction in the event of an emergency.

Pre-COVID I shot a Sig Sauer at Blackstone Shooting Sports, just outside of Uptown Charlotte, and was impressed. The friend I went is former military, so I value his opinion and advice, but not so much that I don't want to hear from others. Not long afterwards he told me that his new favorite pistol is the Sig Sauer X-Five Legion. I suspect he was referring to the P320 and not the P226.

I am at a point now where I want to reward myself with a nice pistol that will be both fun to shoot and reliable for home protection. As a SC resident, my closest options to purchase a firearm in-person appear to be Cabela's, Academy Sports, Sportsman, and Nichols Store. The P320 X-Five Legion appears to only be available currently at Academy Sports for a discounted price of $999.99.

As I don't want to clutter this thread with lots of opinions, please DM or text me with your thoughts. All my previous gun purchases have been from individuals, and not gun dealers or big box retailers, so I'm clueless if I should try and negotiate a box of ammo, a carrying case, etc. with purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
H&K USP 9MM compact inbound. Ended up buying new. Should be here this week. Exicted to start shooting again. Adding threaded barrel and suppresor at some point. This tax stamp thing is complete bs as is most government rules.

H&K USP 9MM compact inbound. Ended up buying new. Should be here this week. Exicted to start shooting again. Adding threaded barrel and suppresor at some point. This tax stamp thing is complete bs as is most government rules.
I’m hearing stories about tax stamps being approved in as little as a day lately. IDK, I’m still waiting on a suppressor stamp I filed for back in November.

I’m hearing stories about tax stamps being approved in as little as a day lately.
I've heard the same as well... it seems they are not approving FIFO. My first (in 2021) was 9 months but my 2nd (2022/2023) was 13 months.

I have also heard that if you file for a new stamp, most of the time that comes up before an existing that you have in queue and they will approve both -but- I don't have firsthand knowledge of that.

I've heard the same as well... it seems they are not approving FIFO. My first (in 2021) was 9 months but my 2nd (2022/2023) was 13 months.

I have also heard that if you file for a new stamp, most of the time that comes up before an existing that you have in queue and they will approve both -but- I don't have firsthand knowledge of that.
I too have heard the super quick turnarounds recently. Will they refund the extra $200 if they approve both? I wish I was kidding...

The one I’m waiting on is my second one. I’m thinking of buying another to see if I can get them sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom