The Gardening Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone do a rain barrel set up? While it rains a lot here for the garden that is mostly in the late fall - early spring and it is extremely dry when not in that time frame.

I saw a place the other day liquidating their barrel inventory so I was going to grab some.

What pump do you use for it?

Gravity pump here

My rain barrel is fed from my house A/C condenser. Being my house is not supper air tight, it can fill up the barrel in about 4 days. A 5 gallon bucket to empty builds up the arm muscles.

Gravity pump here

so fancy here, too ;)...

iri.png

I'm super jealous of all these set ups! Nice work fellas!

Gravity pump here
Gravity won't work super well up hill where the majority of the crops will be. Green house already has a watering system I just need to fix.

Maybe I'll just get an industrial hand truck and put them up the hill when full. Cheapest way to do it really.

Also got some red cabbage, banana peppers and cucumber plants

20200424_135116.jpg

I'm not sure if the dump driver was issuing a challenge or simply making sure I did my chores before I could take the 40 out.

20200428_115426.jpg

Here is how the day started.

20200428_114138.jpg

And by end of day .....
<EDIT: Updated cruddy pictures>

Garden-3.jpg

Garden-1.jpg

Garden-2.jpg

Most of the design credit goes to @jfz80. I say "most" because he would present an awesome complete plan and then I would go muck it up.

I have been accused of being an enabler but I've got nothing on Jason once you hand him a can of orange paint.

Last edited:
red dye and plastic bags? Surprised the local salmon police haven’t strung you up or protested curbside lol.

Its all natural redwood my friend illegally cut ;)

I actually wish I had just gone with regular bark after putting it down but oh well... I can do the rest of the yard in black. But for that i'm just going to fill the back of the F-250 up at a mulch place.

friggen aphids..... got two plants down in the green house. Andrea had taken over watering this week while I try to get a few rush reports out. She told me last night that three of the plants aren't looking too good.... I'd say next to dead is a more accurate description. Looks like there are some aphids and ants hunting them that are doing the deed.

So I ran to the garden center this morning at 6am and released the murder hornets on them........ oh I mean lady bugs, murder hornets just sound cooler.

Hardscape question: @jfz80

We are looking at doing a seating/ fire pit area on one end of the shop. Was thinking of using graded crusher run as the main base. Basically I have it graded to the underlying rock and was thinking a couple inches of crusher leveled up and compacted to serve as a patio. Add fire pit and chairs and call it done.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, tell me it is a terrible idea,...

Thansk

what type of stone? Or patio surface treatment?

I prefer 78m stone for base material. A 3/8” pea like gravel but top material can influence the base construction.
Crush n run (abc) is great but a pain to get just right and then if your stone thickness varies fine tuning height is a real pain. If I were to use it as a base I’d come back with 1.5” of screenings (granite dust) on top and skreet it off level (well flat with slope for drainage) and tamp it down. Then that material is easier to add or remove to adjust for final stone variances. Also if you don’t want to over dig base to get To underlying stone just go down 4-6”. Add fabric, then 3” abc and 1.5 inch screenings, 1.5” thick stone.

+stone > pavers
+Big stones > little pieces.
+If doing irregular flagging break up the joint lines. Don’t let a joint run on across multiple stones
+Gravel makes a great casual patio too. Let’s you spend more on the fire pit, edging, furniture and plant containers...... and is a perfect base to add stone in the future.

Hardscape question: @jfz80

We are looking at doing a seating/ fire pit area on one end of the shop. Was thinking of using graded crusher run as the main base. Basically I have it graded to the underlying rock and was thinking a couple inches of crusher leveled up and compacted to serve as a patio. Add fire pit and chairs and call it done.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, tell me it is a terrible idea,...

Thansk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom