DIRTBIKEUSA’s Alaska Cruiser build thread (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear bumper hitch nearly complete.

It got hot and wet out here so I’m taking a break. Cefco you my hero!

IMG_7733.jpeg

IMG_7734.jpeg

image.jpg

Looking at teardrop camper trailers to tow behind the cruiser. Need to find one that’s small but sleeps two adults or one adult two small children. Needs water and stove. Needs draw bar storage space.

Most of the homemade ones look funky and the commercial ones people are selling used, people want a bit too much. Like more than I paid for the cruiser! Which is right out of the question.

Building one would be a chore but do-able. Cost wise it would also be cheaper compared to what I see advertised. Believe me I want to build it to my spec but time wise it is cutting it close. Or is having a little camper trailer unnecessary..

Wife FaceTimed her cousins again yesterday. Big smiles all around. They don’t get visiting family often, as I would imagine. So they are all happy about the trip.

As far as the route planned I was thinking drive the coast to Louisiana then follow the Mississippi River all the way north, split off to Mount Rushmore. Then across the northern states, visit some old army friends then go through Yellowstone then onto Vancouver and then take the Alacan north to North Pole Alaska.

Sounds easy right?

Looking at teardrop camper trailers to tow behind the cruiser. Need to find one that’s small but sleeps two adults or one adult two small children. Needs water and stove. Needs draw bar storage space.

Most of the homemade ones look funky and the commercial ones people are selling used, people want a bit too much. Like more than I paid for the cruiser! Which is right out of the question.

Building one would be a chore but do-able. Cost wise it would also be cheaper compared to what I see advertised. Believe me I want to build it to my spec but time wise it is cutting it close. Or is having a little camper trailer unnecessary..

Wife FaceTimed her cousins again yesterday. Big smiles all around. They don’t get visiting family often, as I would imagine. So they are all happy about the trip.

As far as the route planned I was thinking drive the coast to Louisiana then follow the Mississippi River all the way north, split off to Mount Rushmore. Then across the northern states, visit some old army friends then go through Yellowstone then onto Vancouver and then take the Alacan north to North Pole Alaska.

Sounds easy right?
I want to drive to Alaska some day, sounds like an epic trip. Dead horse is on my bucket list, maybe try for Nome as well.

Bolting on bumper supports. All the holes lined up nice along with the weld relief cuts.

IMG_7743.jpeg

IMG_7744.jpeg

Swing out spare tire mount. Tubing left open for draining and tie strap points.

IMG_7746.jpeg

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7748.jpeg

More pictures of spare tire mount with latch. Gotta get the angle right! If your latch hole is to loose, add a couple spot welds and file it right.

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

IMG_7754.jpeg

After a couple drives up and down the hey way near the house and around the neighborhood I don’t feel and noticeable difference in handling or ride. Of course no winch on yet and no spare tires and gear. I do want some flex in the suspension at 3.5 inches so sag loaded down is a concern. Keeping the excess weight down to a minimum is key for what I’m going for.
We will see..

Bumper cover mock up and painted!
Gunna let it dry and tack it on and that pretty much it for the rear bumper, minus shackle points.

The local steel yard doesn’t carry them so i gotta source them or fab them.

I’m happy with the progress and the little changes I have had to accommodate and overcome problems of geometry. This brings me joy. Most of the professional welding jobs I have done have been the most fun jobs. Oil rigs, factory work where I was the weld hand on duty was the best. Plus all that shop time off the production floor was a plus.

Anyway the next ending parts will be tire hanger and roof rack.

IMG_7762.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7763.jpeg

Been looking at electric fans for additional cooling since I plan on towing. Decided to go with a fan on the trans cooler only. I tested for air flow over the condenser and found it has sufficient flow. The trans cooler not so much. Maybe with some shrouding. But I’m not planning on fabbing that.

I figure the trans makes most of the additional heat so keeping air flow over the cooler on hills or low travel speed operating temp Is important.

Got the Tacoma antenna on and I like the fitment . Gets good reception too. The OEM antenna cord was pinched in between the HVAC box and the body near the fender so fishing the new one in was well, a major PITA. But it’s done.

Still working out the right place for the fog lights. I know where the toggle switches are going to go. I’m planning on a second battery on the passenger side so wire routing needs to be worked out in advance. Need to wait and see.

Over all project is taking shape. The roof rack needs to get worked out. I seen a van at the gas station the tapped into the lower body seem and above the drip rail. I got the lower bumper I can use so I have to see about the upper attachment. I will have to see how the rack shapes up.

I started to relocate the windshield washer resi to make room for the duel battery. I need to figure out how to get that permanently secured..Looks like I will to fab up a battery tray out of the busted expanded metal chairs for the second battery.. That will be a fun little project.

I also need to decide what battery to go with. I’m looking for an AGM class battery. Optima brand stuff has priced me out so I’m looking at some ACdelco stuff for HALF the price. 94R seems to be the right size and out out required for all the lights, auxiliary electronics, lights, and winch.

IMG_7775.jpeg

A second battery tray is an easy enough fab project, but getting the matching OEM style battery box is also an option if you weren't aware.
I seen rigs on here with OEM style fiberglass box. I will see what I can come up with on the Amazon/ebay. thought I had sworn off those two vendors but they have really made this project fun. And the returns for Amazon have been easy and quick.

Wired in the washer pump and mounted the AUX transmission cooler fan. I will need to see about how to wire it up for activation. I want to run an over ride switch and seems like I will need to insert a pipe into the cooler inlet line or tap into the outlet side of the engine cooling system. Not sure which way I want to go but I have time and am open to options on pros and cons of both. For sure the trans cooler is getting a AUX fan.

IMG_7781.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

IMG_7783.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

Plugged in the BlueDriver to see about my lean code. Seems like it worked itself out there are no pending codes after several dive cycles and the STFT and LTFT look good and the O2 sensors are switching as expected.

Found enough scrap material to build the second battery tray. It started a cold rain here so progress has slowed for the day.

IMG_7785.png

image.jpg

I’m thinking I could fit something like this in the coolant line for the thermal switch for the AUX trans cooler and AUX live value temp gauge . Adding another joint in the cooling system is a point away from reliably but having additional cooling capacity and more accurate temp gauge is the trade off I’m willing to take.

IMG_7787.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom