The better route: Nitto Terra Grappler G2 vs. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My vote is to go with the OEM 10mm top hat spacers. $70 for the spacers, $100 to have them installed and an alignment, you're out $250 at most and it'll give it that level look and roughly 1/2" more room up front. I am running that setup with 275/70/18's and 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers on the stock wheels and I love the look. Eventually I'll go with a full on suspension lift and larger tires but for now the factory spacers more than keep me satisfied.
My 200 had spacers installed when I bought it I ended up taking them off when I got home, the spacers where causing crazy vibrations. That price you threw out there to install the spacers, is that dealership, or Indy price? One of the local Toyota dealership quoted 3.5hrs of work at $135 and hour plus what the spacers will cost.

I don't see how a 10mm top hat spacer that comes standard on 200's around the world would cause vibrations!? Are you referring to wheel spacers, if so I could see that if they were cheap knock-off's or if they weren't properly torqued. My install was an independent shop who specializes in doing lifts, not a stealership.

The spacers themselves sell for $70-80 online all day and most alignments are $75-130 depending on the shop. If your shop is charging 3.5 hours labor to open the KDSS valves, remove the front tires and unbolt the coil over and then reassemble then they are taking you by the balls. My shop did it with floor jacks in under 40 minutes and one guy did 80% of the work.

1fsQtkB.jpg

VCKWg10.jpg

NC3hL3n.jpg

I've run the Yokohama G015s since January 2021.
Honestly, they run great, they are among the lightest AT tires so no impact on fuel economy.
Road noise is comparable to the stock Dunlops.
I haven't had the chance to really test them in any intense offoad situations but so far I am a happy customer.

View attachment 2769200

View attachment 2769201

View attachment 2769202

View attachment 2769203

View attachment 2769204

I don't see how a 10mm top hat spacer that comes standard on 200's around the world would cause vibrations!? Are you referring to wheel spacers, if so I could see that if they were cheap knock-off's or if they weren't properly torqued. My install was an independent shop who specializes in doing lifts, not a stealership.

The spacers themselves sell for $70-80 online all day and most alignments are $75-130 depending on the shop. If your shop is charging 3.5 hours labor to open the KDSS valves, remove the front tires and unbolt the coil over and then reassemble then they are taking you by the balls. My shop did it with floor jacks in under 40 minutes and one guy did 80% of the work.

1fsQtkB.jpg

VCKWg10.jpg

NC3hL3n.jpg
Nice looking rig Tex! Yeah I meant cheap wheel spacers were causing the vibrations. I was kinda wondering the same thing about the if I was getting raked on shop time hours. In most cases, I would do the suspension work myself b/c I've done the AHC removal on my LX470 and installed the OME kit. I also did the suspension on my FZJ80, and I've done the full knuckle rebuild as well, so I'm fully capable of the job. My only concern is the KDSS valves and trying to crack them and what I'm going to run into. For that reason alone, that's why I would like a master tech who works on 200 series to handle that. Also I've looked around, and I can't find the torque specs for the front suspension, LCA's, camber and casters.

I have G2's that came on my 2013 LX when I purchased it used... seriously the worst tire I have ever used on any vehicle. If they were $40 per tire straight out of china knock-offs I would still be disappointed with them.

Unfortunately it is taking ages to get my 35x11.50R17 Toyo AT3's in ... starting to look at other options because I need these death traps off my rig before the snow flies.

Nice looking rig Tex! Yeah I meant cheap wheel spacers were causing the vibrations. I was kinda wondering the same thing about the if I was getting raked on shop time hours. In most cases, I would do the suspension work myself b/c I've done the AHC removal on my LX470 and installed the OME kit. I also did the suspension on my FZJ80, and I've done the full knuckle rebuild as well, so I'm fully capable of the job. My only concern is the KDSS valves and trying to crack them and what I'm going to run into. For that reason alone, that's why I would like a master tech who works on 200 series to handle that. Also I've looked around, and I can't find the torque specs for the front suspension, LCA's, camber and casters.

2.5 turns is all you need and a pry bar for the passenger side to get the CO back in.

I've had these Geolanders on mine since Feb 2020. Thousands of city and highway miles. A few hundred of 4x4 miles. I'm getting 19-21 mpg on the highway, 15-17 city, and 10-13 on 4x4 trails. Extremely quiet on the highway. Great in the rain. Do-able in snow and shallow mud. They've been very good on the trail. We've done a lot of trails around Ouray/Lake City Co and the tires were flawless. Tread wear imho is A++ but then again I drive like an old man.

Edit 03/01/22: I want to add these tires do NOT do well in silt-type mud.

Last edited:
I've had these Geolanders on mine since Feb 2020. Thousands of city and highway miles. A few hundred of 4x4 miles. I'm getting 19-21 mpg on the highway, 15-17 city, and 10-13 on 4x4 trails. Extremely quiet on the highway. Great in the rain. Do-able in snow and shallow mud. They've been very good on the trail. We've done a lot of trails around Ouray/Lake City Co and the tires were flawless. Tread wear imho is A++ but then again I drive like an old man.
Have you had these on during the winter as well? (I'm assuming so since you said February). How were they in the snow?

Have you had these on during the winter as well? (I'm assuming so since you said February). How were they in the snow?:
0-15 mph:
• Powder snow - good up to 10".
• Wet snow - good up to 6".

15-30 mph:
• Powder snow - good up to 6-8".
• Wet snow - good up to 2-3".

30-50 mph:
• Powder snow - good up to 2-3".
• Wet snow - good up to 1".

The wet snow is this tire's weakness. I would not take our rig with these tires on any off road where the snow, powder or wet, is more than a few inches. As you probably know, it's a heavy vehicle and once it begins to slide in the snow these tires do little to stop it.

Thanks for the response. I ended uo going with the Yokohama's, and I'm really happy that I did.

Thanks for the response. I ended uo going with the Yokohama's, and I'm really happy that I did.
Yay! I think you're going to be well pleased. Sure, when I'm on the trial I'd love to have KO2's. But 99% of my driving is on paved roads, and most of this is highway. It's a great experience knowing you're cruising at 75mph and can't hear the tires at all. Not trying to be the annoying neighbor, but be sure you rotate every 4-5k miles. Keep proper inflation. The best way to preserve your tire's tread is to not accelerate/brake quickly, and don't take curves like Jeff Gordan at Talladega. I've done a lot of trails with these tires with no issues.

Yay! I think you're going to be well pleased. Sure, when I'm on the trial I'd love to have KO2's. But 99% of my driving is on paved roads, and most of this is highway. It's a great experience knowing you're cruising at 75mph and can't hear the tires at all. Not trying to be the annoying neighbor, but be sure you rotate every 4-5k miles. Keep proper inflation. The best way to preserve your tire's tread is to not accelerate/brake quickly, and don't take curves like Jeff Gordan at Talladega. I've done a lot of trails with these tires with no issues.
Yeah, I've got no complaints about Yoko's. I ran 4 sets on my 2013 Xterra & a set on my 2016 4Runner. Loved them and I never had an issue. 99% of my driving is highway commuting and so far everything is smooth. If these tires hold up with no issues for the 65,000 mile life of the tire like they are backing. Then I will be no questions asked, throwing another set not only on my 200, but my LX470 as well. Except I will move up to 285/65/18's b/c I plan on installing a 41mm Tough Dog suspension kit, next spring. Also that's the size I am currently running on my LX470 with the an OME lift.

Anyone running the Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT285/65R18 mind sharing the on road manners impact and MPG impact relative to the more stock 285/60R18 SL version?

I’m leaning toward the LT version if that helps at all, and understand the general trade offs between the two tire types.

I’m coming from KO2s on my hundy and really enjoyed them but thinking about a slightly more refined, understated, but still capable tire this time (not quite as understated as the Michelin Defenders however).

Last edited:
Bump for question above👆.

Also, any rubbing on with LT285/65R18 with stock setup?

What size tires are you using? 285/60/18? Oh, and are you still happy with the G015s? Can you post a picture of your rig? TIA!

Bringing this one back up from the dead. How's everyone fairing with their G015? Does it suck that much in the mud and wet snow? Our trails in NJ are basically just mud pits... and our snow days are basically just a sloshy mess.

Between the G015 and the Terras - 285/75R17

Thanks!

Bringing this one back up from the dead. How's everyone fairing with their G015? Does it suck that much in the mud and wet snow? Our trails in NJ are basically just mud pits... and our snow days are basically just a sloshy mess.

Thanks!
I ended up getting the Falken Wildpeaks and am happy to report that I'm very happy with them. Great in the snow and ice. I would buy them again.

Thanks!
Can't speak for the G015s, but to reiterate an opinion above, the Terra Grapplers are a terrible tire. I had them on my 100 series and they sucked. Not great traction on road, and even worse off. Plus, they started weather cracking between all of the knobs well before they wore out, and they weren't that old. I've seen this on many other Terras too. If I were looking at 285/75s on the milder end of the spectrum, the Nitto Recon Grappler, the Falken AT3W, and the Hankook Dynapro AT2 Extremes would be where I would look.

I had the A/T G015 as a daily driver for city and winter snow. No issues in snow. Its a good tire, likely top three-to-four (IMO) for a quiet, lightweight city/hwy oriented a/t tire that works really well in all conditions (LTX, crosscontact a/t fit the bill also).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom