TH350 and 700R4 .... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45 said:
are you being sarcastic or ignorant?! :confused:

You like the 700R4? Then get one. I don't like them. Terrible design. Who needs OD in a rock crawler? The guy who drives in LR? Yea, how lazy is that? He was looking for thoughts, I gave mine. You gave yours. We don't agree. That's fine.

I just feel that the 350 would be a much wiser choice for cost, reliability and fit.

tonkota said:
You like the 700R4? Then get one. I don't like them. Terrible design. Who needs OD in a rock crawler.

no reason to get all butt hurt! :flipoff2:

and i have one, actually, more than one! and i've done several conversions in fj40s and jeeps using them and they work great. my personal and professional opinion, based on 7 years of running a transmission repair business and 3 years as a transmission parts sales person. :D

i would however like to know what makes you say that they're a terrible design. i very much respect the fact that everybody is entitled to their opinion, and i value that "right" to have one, but i also expect people to back up their statements with a reasonable explanation or cold hard facts.

i can post pics of both transmissions tomorrow. have either at my place. ;)

thx orange, would really like to see it (700R4) with the drive shaft and transfercase all bolted on if possible.

that might be tuff, but i'll see what i can come up with. did you look on AA's site? i have the transmissions themselves at home, but not with adapters bolted up. i'll dig thru some buildup pics. ;)

Here's a TH400 with a NP203 GRB and AA adapter to bolt to a 74 cruiser case.

And the trans I just picked up is a TH400 as well.
trans w grb.JPG

I run a TH400/Atlas 3.8 and 4.88 r/p. That give me a 46:1 crawl ratio (before torque convertor mulitiplication). I think it is about the perfect rate. Get much lower and you'll be driving through the brakes. I get all of the gearing I need with my transfer case so I don't need the lower first gear of a 700r4/4l60. If gearing is an issue, you can get some 2.75 gears for the 400.

TH400 is heavy and long. It is about 3/4" longer than a 700R4/4l60 so it is really not an issue. I've yet to find an obstacle where I did not have enough power with a 350 tbi motor. The loss of power with a TH400 is not a factor for me.

If you want a real efficient auto tranny, then I'd get a PG. Light, short, and very strong.

fj40charles said:
I run a TH400/Atlas 3.8 and 4.88 r/p. That give me a 46:1 crawl ratio (before torque convertor mulitiplication). I think it is about the perfect rate. Get much lower and you'll be driving through the brakes. I get all of the gearing I need with my transfer case so I don't need the lower first gear of a 700r4/4l60. If gearing is an issue, you can get some 2.75 gears for the 400.

TH400 is heavy and long. It is about 3/4" longer than a 700R4/4l60 so it is really not an issue. I've yet to find an obstacle where I did not have enough power with a 350 tbi motor. The loss of power with a TH400 is not a factor for me.

If you want a real efficient auto tranny, then I'd get a PG. Light, short, and very strong.

You people crack me up. :D

In low-low-low, I am at 400:1 and I do not crawl through my brakes.

I have the option of mulitple transfer case ratios, 1:1; 2:1; 4:1; and 8:1. Each has it's place. Yes, 1:1 is not very useful in a technical section of extreme rocks, but 8:1 stinks in a mud bog too.

There is NO single right answer to these questions, and I have as of yet to see any of the suggestions above be bad, just not right for every rig or situation. A powerglide is a great answer if wheelbase is an concern. A 700r4, Klune, NP205 like mine is a good answer if you have the wheelbase. Everything else inbetween if fine too if it meets the need of that rig.

As for strength of the 350 or 700 - If you are not killing it with poor ratios behind it, it will hold up. I would contend that with good cooling for the tranny, the 6.17 axle gears, the 2:1 NP205, and the 4:1 of the Klune engaged, there is not that much strain on the transmission. If I had just a TH400, Np205, 4.56's and my 44" tires, any tranny would be stressed offroad, unless of course you were into sand dunes and speed...

Again, there is no single right answer. The arguements are fun to watch though. :popcorn:

Ed

who let you in here? lol

Agreed tho that's it's only a pile of compromises...

however, from a spectator standpoint, watching you rev the motor to 5k and still move a foot a hour is nothing but funnay! :flipoff2:

Hey Woody, if you do your research.....

I never once,

ever,

never,

said I knew how to drive. :D

Ed

tranny & transfercase

700R4 w/FJ80 transfercase picture's
mfk1195-5.jpg
700r4 and transfercase.jpg

Last edited:
is that the adapter from mark's offroad in australia? i used one on a 700-split case conversion on an fj60 and was'nt too impressed. another reason why i'm going with the 203 reduction box as my adapter in my wife's fj60 with the same trans and t-case.

and rock taxi is absolutely right. the gearing after the trans and the tire size will in a big part determine how long a trans will last.
400:1 with an auto! :doh: and you're not driving thru the brakes? guess you have at least a 1500 stall converter, huh?

I would say go for the 700R4.
Are you going to stick with the offset cruiser case ?
I have been thinking about going with an automatic with a centered case and ditching my SM420/3speed combo but I am concerned about the length of 700R4 and the expense of adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom