Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very nice pictures Tex. You must be a photographer. Anyway you could post pictures of the gap between the factory and the Ironman bumper? Also, what happens if you do not cut enough of the plastic bumper? Does it get in the way of the Ironman?

very nice pictures Tex. You must be a photographer. Anyway you could post pictures of the gap between the factory and the Ironman bumper? Also, what happens if you do not cut enough of the plastic bumper? Does it get in the way of the Ironman?

Lol, not really, those are iPhone pics haha. I do enjoy taking photos but the ex got the DSLR when we split and I haven't gotten around to getting a new mirror-less setup yet. I'll snap a few of the gap later today but the one below shows the gap under the headlight. You basically have to trim a little bit at a time and keep checking your clearance taking the bumper off and on. Some go higher than the bumper itself and others leave it at or below the top of the bumper, mine is the latter. It touches the bumper at the up rights and at the outside corners but the edging cushions it and acts as a stand off. There really is no right or wrong way to how you cut it, just take your time.

PM5af18.jpg

Tex - Looks great. Similar path in Seattle - I'll update my thread, but have the smittybilt installed this afternoon.... Pls post a picture of your controller location. I decided to go for full access on front bumper... I have the BD LP6 harness, so that will go in next week. I like your squadron R in the front bumper - that is on my future shopping list once this round is paid for... (and tips on those welcome).

I'll get you some pics later this evening. Now that I have an access from above through the cowling it makes it fairly easy to plug in the winch remote. I wanted to keep the control box hidden for a cleaner look.

I went ahead and ordered the +110-220 lb springs and coils. The LRA 33 gallon auxiliary fuel tank will be installed in a few weeks so I figured I might as well go ahead and upgrade the rear at the same time. They will definitely be needed when I finally get a rear bumper on and the extra weight with the added fuel will have an impact as well.

Tex - Looks great. Similar path in Seattle - I'll update my thread, but have the smittybilt installed this afternoon.... Pls post a picture of your controller location. I decided to go for full access on front bumper... I have the BD LP6 harness, so that will go in next week. I like your squadron R in the front bumper - that is on my future shopping list once this round is paid for... (and tips on those welcome).

These aren't the best pics but they are what I could capture without removing bumper panels, the grille or the upper cowling. I stuck a blade 1.25" deep in my forearm this morning and now it's full of staples so I'm not really in the mood to go tearing into the truck today. I'll get some better pics for you in the coming days.

The control box is mounted to the left of center and the center support for the grille was removed. I love that this winch has a power post for quick power access with a gator clamp, I don't know if I will ever use it but it's a neat feature. A Factor 55 Flatlink E and their rope guard will replace the standard hook later this week.

sJdCoz0.jpg

eRlAQmQ.jpg

XQPzIdP.jpg

xhRyicT.jpg

vcwkI0r.jpg

Thanks for the pictures in spite of the "war wound" today. Pictures tell a good story. Looks like a nice approach to keep the control box hidden. We had to splice in some wire to make the approach from top of bumper work.

Yea I wanted the more subtle and less obvious setup so we kept it hidden below. On a vehicle like this the odds of me needing the winch very often are slim so having to route the winch cable through the top of the bumper doesn't concern me much.

I hate to admit it but the wound came while attempting to clean up some more plastic on the GX with a box blade. I was careless and let it slip with lots of force and plunged right into my forearm and it was a geyser from there lol. Luckily my other half is still working from home, she was on a conference call and I banged on the kitchen door through the glass from the garage holding my arm covered in blood (it was all over my face too) and she freaked out haha. We spent three hours at the ER to wait on what I am sure will be $1000 staples.

I was a combat medic in the Army so the ER doc let me do one of my staples and then I put another in to practice removing it for when these need to come out next week (will save me a trip back to the ER). It was nice to work on someone again, even if it was myself, my other half nearly fainted when she saw me removing a staple from my arm lol.

As an active Army reservist, I too have had a lot of CLS training and usually take care of anything that doesn't show bone or ligaments myself. I just pull out some cyanoacrylate (Super glue) and glue myself back together. Yea, I should be using medical grade cyano, but of-the-shelf from the hardware store works just fine.
Take care my cyber friend. ;)

As an active Army reservist, I too have had a lot of CLS training and usually take care of anything that doesn't show bone or ligaments myself. I just pull out some cyanoacrylate (Super glue) and glue myself back together. Yea, I should be using medical grade cyano, but of-the-shelf from the hardware store works just fine.
Take care my cyber friend. ;)

I thought about repairing myself at home but the misses was a mess so I gave in and let her drive me to the ER. I was keeping up with TCCC classes each year but I've moved on and I'm not in the medical field in my private life. I was med boarded out (back and hip) when I was still AD so no reservist time here, I miss very little other than free ammo to waste and the camaraderie.

I thought about repairing myself at home but the misses was a mess so I gave in and let her drive me to the ER. I was keeping up with TCCC classes each year but I've moved on and I'm not in the medical field in my private life. I was med boarded out (back and hip) when I was still AD so no reservist time here, I miss very little other than free ammo to waste and the camaraderie.
Copy that. ;)

Hit the beach with a buddy today in the LX. It was a little nutty down there with the young crowd and their shenanigans but I remind myself that was once me and my buddies and not too long ago lol.

NywHums.jpg

It's getting to be that time of the year!
We're just starting to open up our beaches now.

Closed loop, Flatlink E and Rope Guard.

2vUqJ5U.jpg

I lowered the placement of the front license plate another 2" as it was sitting up high enough to block some of the grille and it was easily bent when I leaned over into the engine bay. I hate having a front plate, I find them absolutely pointless. I have been pulled over in the past and even ticketed for not having one so I am no longer willing to risk not running it. It's not worth getting pulled over and ticketed and the stop possibly leading to other infractions, don't draw attention to ones self. We will see if in time it proves to be too close to the license plate when pulling at extreme high angles.

MfR4zJE.jpg

The front bumper was pitched up from the bottom forward, it was only off by a 1/4" or so but it bothered me visually. It's a royal PITA to adjust this thing, first you have to remove the underside infill plates, then the center fill plate and then you have to loosen seven bolts on each side of the bumper. I used a ratchet strap tied to the top center of the bar work and then to a column and ratcheted it forward in order to pitch the front of the bumper out and down and then I retightened everything. It's not much of an improvement, maybe 3/16" flatter but it looks better to my eye and that will let me sleep at night........for now lol.

Top pic is before and the bottom is after the adjustment.

f0QVFsy.jpg

Last edited:
The front bumper was pitched up from the bottom forward, it was only off by a 1/4" or so but it bothered me visually. It's a royal PITA to adjust this thing, first you have to remove the underside infill plates, then the center fill plate and then you have to loosen seven bolts on each side of the bumper. I used a ratchet strap tied to the top center of the bar work and then to a column and ratcheted it forward in order to pitch the front of the bumper out and down and then I retightened everything. It's not much of an improvement, maybe 3/16" flatter but it looks better to my eye and that will let me sleep at night........for now lol.

Top pic is before and the bottom is after the adjustment.

f0QVFsy.jpg
Mine is a little pitched up also, but from banging it on the gate keeper of a trail. Tried to fix it but the bracket is what's bent.
Oh well.... Battle scars and camp fire tales.

I had the Ironman 065C (+220-GVWR) coils installed up front today. I can definitely tell an improvement in the balance of the front end when braking and in dynamic handling scenarios. It also appears to have improved the ride over rough sections of road, the coils no longer feel taxed and over compressed and unable to handle high speed compression. I was hoping that I would gain back the height I lost in the front end after the bumper and winch install but it only appears to have improved by about 1/2" at best. I guess I'll have to see how much more height I can get out of the front coilovers by adjusting the preload further.

For those of you with a 2-3" lift on your GX460, if you wouldn't mind please run a tape measure from either the ground to the bottom of the of the fender dead center of the axle or measure from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender and let me know what kind of numbers you're seeing. I am not sure whether or not I am simply expecting more out of this setup than what it is capable of, if the forward rake is how the vehicle is supposed to sit to some degree or if it's due to the lack of a spare of added weight (bumper/drawers/cargo) out back or maybe even just a bit of an optical illusion. Either way I feel like it still has too much rake and it still has a tad of the stink bug/ass high look.

BTW, the driveway slopes towards the center and pitches the passenger side of the truck down slope a tad, this biased side load also results in a 1/2" lower measurement on the passenger side as well. KDSS might have something to do with the difference in height from the driver to passenger side as well. Am I being petty here or do others think this is too low up front as well?

EcqGr8y.jpg

kPxcEMf.jpg

pZClyvb.jpg

i don’t want to say you’re in your own head because it looks good to me.

do you have any updates on your LRA install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom