Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After months of deliberation we finally decided to abandon our TRD Pro 4Runner and trade it in on a new 2019 GX460. That was our third 5th Gen and even though I enjoyed the Pro more than the previous ones, I never quite fell in love with the platform. The GX460 is basically the same platform but it provides a lot of small upgrades in areas where I think the 5th Gen fell short. I owned a 2011 GX460 with the ex and we enjoyed it for the three years that we had it. My only complaints are the horrid front end and of course the rear barn door, I will simply have to accept it for what it is and learn to tolerate it haha.

Day one we took it to Discount Tire and slapped on some 255/70/18 (32.1x10x18) Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels. I plan to run 285/75/17's on the SCS SR8 wheels I have left over from the 4Runner but I can't put those on until we lift it so these 32's will do for now and will help it to not look so soccer mom-ish until then. I installed the ARB twin compressor on the Slee bracket I removed from the 4Runner earlier today and I have a set of Hefty Fab sliders from the 4Runner lying around waiting to go on as well. It'll be going in to my paint/tint/wrap guy soon to have the rear debadged and to have the chrome either blacked out or color matched to the Titanium SCS wheels that will be going on soon.

I am torn between the Toytec Boss Aluma series lift, Dobinson's MRR or MRA or going all out for King's, there's a hefty $1200-1500 difference between the kits and that chunk of money would cover a lot of other goodies. I just have to decide whether or not the King's are worth the extra coin. Duggy's Garage in Houston will do the install along with a BMC, TC UCA's, and alignment. I will have them install a Ironman Premium front bumper and winch as well.

I ordered the parts for MTC and Crawl Control so I will be installing those soon and I am still deciding between a Rhino or FrontRunner rack so that'll be going on by years end as well. I am not a fan of any of the rear bumpers currently available for the GX/Prado/150 so I am considering making a 5th Gen rear bumper work with a little modification, but that's yet to be determined. Eventually it'll get a ARB rear locker and lower gearing to help turn the bigger meats. I am looking at rear drawer options as we speak, but I am not sure where I will end up.

I am excited for this new build and I know that we will both appreciate the comfort and extra power that the GX has over the 5th Gen while retaining a similar size and agility off-road. This truck should make for a comfortable and every bit as capable and reliable rig as the 5th Gen for our travel, off-road, and hunting needs.

Y4Hbkhs.jpg

zIgtIjT.jpg

hpdymau.jpg

22S3tYv.jpg

XBKfMkv.jpg

nLrL0zg.jpg

Got her out on the beach today with a buddy in his Rubicon. It handled it very similarly to the 4Runner in the deep sand but I did notice the extra weight at times as it would dig into the deep sand more than the 4Runner ever did. No complaints.

Y5AnOWm.jpg

yCpTp25.jpg

I’ve owned a 4Runner before switching to the GX (now on my 3rd) and my wife currently drives 4Runner Limited....I think you’ll be happy. You’ll get use to popping the back window open rather than swinging the door, although the door doesn’t bother me unless I’m towing our boat. As for the lift, my previous GX had Dobinsons (regular) and I enjoyed them, but I was just about to pull the trigger on BP51’s, but working with Kyle was so easy I’m going to wait on their new setup and see what’s up. I need to get an air compressor like yours......looking forward to following your build.

I couldn't get the Hefty Fab Works 5th Gen sliders to fit on the drivers side. The front mount bottoms out and interferes with the KDSS lines where they wrap under the frame. They are compatible with KDSS equipped 5th Gens so I thought it would work but I don't think that they will without modifying that front support arm. Looks like I will have to start shopping the 460 specific sliders now and throw the Hefty's up for sale.

**Update

The GX is headed to Duggy's Garage in Houston on Monday for a BMC, Total Chaos UCA's, and the install of the Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift kit. For now it'll be set at 2" of lift front and rear and I will continue to run the Nitto Ridge Grappler 255/70/18's (32.1x10x18) that are currently on the factory wheels. I have yet to decide whether or not I will use wheel spacers up front, but I'd like to avoid it if I can because I wasn't too keen on them when we had them on the 4Runner. In the coming months I plan to bump the kit up to 2.5-3" of lift (up front) and increase the coil rate to handle a heavier load for the addition of the front bumper and winch install.

I still need to decide which sliders I want to run and whether or not I am going to give the Coastal Off-road dual swing out rear bumper a go or run with a more streamlined and simple solution like the JW Off-road rear tire mount that basically bolts to the rear door. Keeping the overall added weight down is a concern and focus, but I might be willing to give up some out back should I decide to go with the CBI GXOR Hybrid front winch bumper instead of a full wrap like the ARB or Ironman. I don't really like the idea of drilling holes in the rear door for the JW tire mount and I am also concerned about the sheet metal holding up over time. I've seen similar installs tear the metal over time due to the extra load and forces it's experiencing with every jostle of the body.

You better be taking some photo's when you get her back!

You better be taking some photo's when you get her back!

Don't worry, I'll document the work. Fingers crossed the ride quality doesn't decrease post lift.

Hoping for this look out of the kit next week. I'll rock it like that for a few months until I get the bumper, winch, and 285's lined up for the SCS wheels, then I'll go back on for heavier coils and crank up the kit to it's max.

hepZwsZ.jpg

Any new info/dates on the CBI bumper? I’m on the list but haven’t heard any dates.

As of two weeks ago their reply to my email inquiry stated that they hope to launch it this spring. That could mean as soon as early March or as late as the end of May lol. Still no price, weight, or word on whether they will be ready to ship at that time or simply only to place an order and then you can possibly wait another six months. It's a definite unknown.

Here are a few pics of Lexus Canada's GX build with the CBI GXOR Hybrid bumper. sliders, and skid plates.

PUY5SdJ.jpg

f6BKElZ.jpg

wow looks great, yeah I'm going to wait it out. Really not a fan of the newer grill though.

Part of me wants to wait and part of me wants more protection that the ARB will provide. We've hit more than our fair share of small animals in the past six months with this vehicle and it's a numbers game living and working rurally like we do.

I wasn't a fan of the new grill at first either but I'll admit that it is quickly growing on me. Having owned the larger version of that front end with our LX for a year now has probably warmed me up to the look lol.

Last edited:
I do like that front bumper, but I have to question how much protection it'll provide.
I can easily see that it's far more robust that stock, but is it as good as some of the other full metal bumpers?
And what's he using for a tire carrier? Is it one of those that bolt onto the rear door?

I do like that front bumper, but I have to question how much protection it'll provide.
I can easily see that it's far more robust that stock, but is it as good as some of the other full metal bumpers?
And what's he using for a tire carrier? Is it one of those that bolt onto the rear door?

It's a hitch mounted tire carrier similar to the Wilco setup. It's the UltrSwing made by RIGd Supply. It's a rather pricey unit when compared to the Wilco model but it looks like a more thought out design and there's options for a FrontRunner table, Hi-Lift jack mount, Rotopax or Jerry cans, etc. as well. See the pic below of the back of that truck.

G29y1v3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom