Tesla style head unit - has anyone seen this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine wouldn't work at all. No power, no fan, no nothing. I installed the new harness that they sent me tonight and now the HVAC is working. I will report in a few days if I come across any intermittent issues.
Mine seems to be working now. I had the CAN-IN2 adapter plugged into the AUDIO-OUT slot (B5 instead of B6)

Also was able to reuse the original trim with a little modification. Much better fit than the trim that Phoenix sent

18D19104-1361-4C0E-A5DC-9025C47EC446.jpeg

Here's my write-up, guys!

Installed one aswell today in an 06 HDJ100 euro spec ... not all ready yet but it fired right up. From what i have seen so far it looks and operates very well. I am very pleased with the unit. AC also works which was my biggest concern aswell as the rear airco. Still a big mess but ill explore more tomorrow and mount it all in the dash.

2 things remain though, I want to keep my rear view camera and I want to connect headrest monitors but need to look into that. Tips welcome.

Tomorrow is another day.

Hi all. This will serve as both my intro post and a request for input from the hive.

I was shopping for 4x4s a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of a move to Colorado in the fall, and stopped by a local Lexus dealership to check out a 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel. Fortunately, it turned out to be RWD instead of 4WD. It was fortunate because, as I was about to drive off, I caught a glimpse of the LX470 in the detail shop just a few hours after it had been traded in on a new LX570. It's an absolutely mint-condition, two-owner, southern truck with 152k miles, eight pages of maintenance reports on Carfax, and no accidents, rust or body work.

I had been looking at 2006-09 4Runner V8s and Land Cruisers as my first choice, but everything I saw was either overpriced, beat-up, or both, so I was starting to branch out -- thus, the Grand Cherokee became an option. Needless to say, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the LX; I had a deal negotiated and signed before they could list it for sale.

That said, I'm not the sort who is going to be content with a tape deck and 6-disc changer, so I ordered a Tesla-style head unit off AliExpress. I installed it today, with mixed results.

All HVAC and steering wheel controls work as they should, and on the bright side I was pleasantly surprised to see that the HVAC controls are in Fahrenheit (although the trip info like MPG, distance to empty, etc. is metric). The PVC A/C side vents leave a lot to be desired in terms of fit & finish, but the color isn't bad and I think I'll be able to adjust everything to an acceptable tolerance with some fiddling. Boot-up time is about 18-20 seconds, during which time a yellow Lamborghini is displayed on-screen for reasons unknown. I'll figure out how to change that eventually, but it's low priority at the moment. I'm hoping to find a setting that will keep the unit from going to sleep immediately so it doesn't have to boot up every time I start the engine.

My primary problem is that I'm only getting sound from the left-front door speakers. When the unit first boots up, all speakers play, but after a minute or two everything fades out except that one. The subwoofer works fine and does not fade out with the others. I'm not considering the OEM amp as a possible source of the problem since it plays fine initially before losing the signal. I've checked every setting I could find and adjusted the amp settings in the system console (shown in picture below).

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'd rather try to troubleshoot it instead of sending it back for a refund, but these symptoms lead me to believe I may be dealing with a defective unit as opposed to some kind of incorrect setting or user error.

Looking forward to many years of conversation here, because there's no way I'm giving this truck up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

958.jpg

20190706_191136.jpg

20190706_191149.jpg

20190706_191204.jpg

20190727_193141.jpg

Try changing the car type:

You are further along than me. I am still waiting on a harness to get sound and climate control.

I did manage to install apple car play.

The left front speaker in my 2003 LC provides sound for the navigation system. Might be related?

Try changing the car type:

You are further along than me. I am still waiting on a harness to get sound and climate control.

I did manage to install apple car play.

The left front speaker in my 2003 LC provides sound for the navigation system. Might be related?

Thanks -- I did try that initially, but it was set to LC100 HI, which is the correct choice for the LX470, from what I've read. I also considered the navigation possibility, and to eliminate that I uninstalled the default iGo navigation app (I'll use Waze or Google Maps) to make sure it wasn't somehow open in the background and causing the problem. Nothing changed, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear you're still waiting on installation parts. How long has it been? I would've sent the whole thing back by now and bought from a different seller...you're a more patient man than I am.

My primary problem is that I'm only getting sound from the left-front door speakers. When the unit first boots up, all speakers play, but after a minute or two everything fades out except that one. The subwoofer works fine and does not fade out with the others. I'm not considering the OEM amp as a possible source of the problem since it plays fine initially before losing the signal. I've checked every setting I could find and adjusted the amp settings in the system console (shown in picture below).

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'd rather try to troubleshoot it instead of sending it back for a refund, but these symptoms lead me to believe I may be dealing with a defective unit as opposed to some kind of incorrect setting or user error.

I had to cut a couple wires down at the NAV DVD player. Did you remove or disconnect that thing? If not, that may be the issue.

I had to cut a couple wires down at the NAV DVD player. Did you remove or disconnect that thing? If not, that may be the issue.
No, I haven't messed with the NAV DVD player yet. What I'm finding is that if I turn the amp power up to 50 in the console, the sound will keep playing out of all speakers as long as I don't turn the volume down too much. Once it's spent a few seconds at a low volume, the other speakers quit and won't turn back on without restarting the car.

I have a video chat scheduled for tonight with one of the engineers in China. Hopefully he'll be able to pinpoint my issue; if so, I'll be sure to share here.

Well, the update isn't much of an update. The long & short of it is that they're sending me a replacement unit, and I should have it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that'll take care of the issue, because I'm confident that there's nothing wrong with the factory amp.

Hi all. This will serve as both my intro post and a request for input from the hive.

I was shopping for 4x4s a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of a move to Colorado in the fall, and stopped by a local Lexus dealership to check out a 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel. Fortunately, it turned out to be RWD instead of 4WD. It was fortunate because, as I was about to drive off, I caught a glimpse of the LX470 in the detail shop just a few hours after it had been traded in on a new LX570. It's an absolutely mint-condition, two-owner, southern truck with 152k miles, eight pages of maintenance reports on Carfax, and no accidents, rust or body work.

I had been looking at 2006-09 4Runner V8s and Land Cruisers as my first choice, but everything I saw was either overpriced, beat-up, or both, so I was starting to branch out -- thus, the Grand Cherokee became an option. Needless to say, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the LX; I had a deal negotiated and signed before they could list it for sale.

That said, I'm not the sort who is going to be content with a tape deck and 6-disc changer, so I ordered a Tesla-style head unit off AliExpress. I installed it today, with mixed results.

All HVAC and steering wheel controls work as they should, and on the bright side I was pleasantly surprised to see that the HVAC controls are in Fahrenheit (although the trip info like MPG, distance to empty, etc. is metric). The PVC A/C side vents leave a lot to be desired in terms of fit & finish, but the color isn't bad and I think I'll be able to adjust everything to an acceptable tolerance with some fiddling. Boot-up time is about 18-20 seconds, during which time a yellow Lamborghini is displayed on-screen for reasons unknown. I'll figure out how to change that eventually, but it's low priority at the moment. I'm hoping to find a setting that will keep the unit from going to sleep immediately so it doesn't have to boot up every time I start the engine.

Looking forward to many years of conversation here, because there's no way I'm giving this truck up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ell Ex,
What a find! Congratulations!
Try splicing these wires together from the NAV/DVD unit like mistered123.

Here's a photo from someone else that helped me with the install along the way. I forgot to take a picture of this part. However, my wires were a different color than these, but still in the same pins on my vehicle.

View attachment 2045140

View attachment 2045141

Ell Ex,
What a find! Congratulations!
Try splicing these wires together from the NAV/DVD unit like mistered123.
Thank you! I've just gone over to that thread to pick his brain and share my experiences after driving 1450 miles over two days with this head unit.

I have gone back and forth with the supplier of the unit I purchased on the included wiring harness for the 2003 model. I recently received a replacement that is a correct plug-in-play for the 2003. They referred to is as a "top model" application. Good news is it exists and works :)

I also purchased and installed their recommended back up camera at the same time.

View attachment 2012743
I ask my supplier about the "Top Model" wiring... still not getting anywhere with them. Can u tell me where you ordered the wiring kit from? Sounds like that's exactly what I need. everything is working but I can't figure out how to hook up AC controls.

I ask my supplier about the "Top Model" wiring... still not getting anywhere with them. Can u tell me where you ordered the wiring kit from? Sounds like that's exactly what I need. everything is working but I can't figure out how to hook up AC controls.

I asked for the "Top Model" too, to no avail. They just sent me a harness that came with the unit.

They finally sent me the harness in the photo, the connectors with the green wires are the key to getting the climate working.

Here is the harness description they sent me for the harness that t finally worked:
[part] supplement: Main Harness for - Premium Land Cruiser, 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Navi Radio for Toyota Land Cruiser LC100 2002 - 2007 - / 2 g ram 64 g rom × 1

LC 100 harness.jpeg

Thanks for the info.! i ask my supplier if they had it... Waiting to see.

I asked for the "Top Model" too, to no avail. They just sent me a harness that came with the unit.

They finally sent me the harness in the photo, the connectors with the green wires are the key to getting the climate working.

Here is the harness description they sent me for the harness that t finally worked:
[part] supplement: Main Harness for - Premium Land Cruiser, 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Navi Radio for Toyota Land Cruiser LC100 2002 - 2007 - / 2 g ram 64 g rom × 1

View attachment 2052637

I have a 2003 with JBL system no amp. I have no sound and no way to hook up the sound really, i have the 10 pin connector for sound hooked up to the 8 pin toyota harness which is most likely incorrect but it does fit.

also have no ac. when i hit "rear" the rear fan ac comes on but the auto/temp settings do not work. the only button that works is "rear". anyone had the same issue?

what suppliers are sending out harnesses? i ordered from phoenix since they are us based! but the only response i have gotten is "will ask manager" that was 2 weeks ago so obviosly they didnt do anything.

really trying to get this thing working, stock nav is useless.

I have a 2003 with JBL system no amp. I have no sound and no way to hook up the sound really, i have the 10 pin connector for sound hooked up to the 8 pin toyota harness which is most likely incorrect but it does fit.

also have no ac. when i hit "rear" the rear fan ac comes on but the auto/temp settings do not work. the only button that works is "rear". anyone had the same issue?

what suppliers are sending out harnesses? i ordered from phoenix since they are us based! but the only response i have gotten is "will ask manager" that was 2 weeks ago so obviosly they didnt do anything.

really trying to get this thing working, stock nav is useless.
Look at my post above- you need the harness with the green connectors- I had the same problem from the same vendor.

With the original harness the only button that works is the rear fan. Phoenix has the correct cable for climate control. I had to splice the audio wires to get sound. Phoenix does not seem to have the correct harness for climate control AND sound.

Splicing the wires is easy, and you do not cut the factory wiring. There is a write up on Mud

Has anyone attempted this install on a 2001 or 2002 LC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom