Terra Cruisers FJ-43 Review and Lessons Learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point, I don’t trust them enough to send it back. A mechanic friend said this is a common problem with imported trucks because the fuel lines used in South America are not made to handle the ethanol content of the fuel used in the US.
True... but they are selling it for use in the US. You'd think they'd know better.

Kinda curious if your vehicle is an outlier or kind of representative of the quality you get out of these S. American builds.

Saw an FJ Company truck out in Tahoe recently that HAD to have cost over a quarter million and started to think if it's holding together or not.

True... but they are selling it for use in the US. You'd think they'd know better.

Kinda curious if your vehicle is an outlier or kind of representative of the quality you get out of these S. American builds.

Saw an FJ Company truck out in Tahoe recently that HAD to have cost over a quarter million and started to think if it's holding together or not.

I spoke with at least three other of TC’s most recent customers and I consider myself relatively lucky. Thing is I was worried about issues because of all the horror stories that are out there about SA builds so, I did a lot of research and calls to previous customers, magazines that referenced them as a good builder, and an outfitting company that used them for a custom showcase build before I ordered mine and got only great feedback. Not sure why their work quality for all the builds delivered in the last year was as bad as it was.

At least I did not pay anywheres close to FJ Company prices.

I really think the guys doing the assembly don’t know what they don’t know if you know what I mean.

I spoke with at least three other of TC’s most recent customers and I consider myself relatively lucky. Thing is I was worried about issues because of all the horror stories that are out there about SA builds so, I did a lot of research and calls to previous customers, magazines that referenced them as a good builder, and an outfitting company that used them for a custom showcase build before I ordered mine and got only great feedback. Not sure why their work quality for all the builds delivered in the last year was as bad as it was.

At least I did not pay anywheres close to FJ Company prices.

Standby: I finally decided to get a professional Landcruiser mechanic to pick my FJ up and give it a good once over to get everything in good shape. I will be posting the results once done.

AA943DAE-99A4-42AD-8C56-A16EB74F346D.jpeg

Standby: I finally decided to get a professional Landcruiser mechanic to pick my FJ up and give it a good once over to get everything in good shape. I will be posting the results once done.
To what extent are TC liable for all these repair jobs you're doing yourself or have recently farmed out to a mechanic?

I'd think their response is they'd want their "professionals" to look at it, but it's vastly clear that you're doing a far better job at personal expense...

To what extent are TC liable for all these repair jobs you're doing yourself or have recently farmed out to a mechanic?

I'd think their response is they'd want their "professionals" to look at it, but it's vastly clear that you're doing a far better job at personal expense...

It's clear that they should be liable in the contract. There is a lot more I wish to say but I am trying to avoid discussing any legal aspects of this in public. Feel free to contact them directly and ask the same question.

View attachment 2525079

It’s been a while since I had a chance to post. I just started a new job and before I knew it, a couple of months past by.

I got my truck back and hopefully all should be good here on out. Big thanks to Steve Cooper over at Northwest Design and Fab who did a great job checking everything out and getting things straight. He even did pickup and drop off.

Upgrades/Fixes performed:
1. Replace leaky rubber fuel lines with hard lines and braided end hoses. I noticed a nice performance increase with the larger fuel lines.
2. Replaced leaking power steering pump with a new unit.
3. Had leaking steering unit rebuilt with new seals.
4. Replaced u-bolts that which too long and had damaged threads
5. Replaced front wheel lug bolts which were too short for disk brake setup.
6. Added 5 deg camber shims to correct alignment
7. Replaced brake master cylinder and booster with later model unit which works better with disk brakes. Original unit was for drum brakes and would not release the brakes fully causing them to drag.
8. Replace horns which had burned out after going off all night due to a sticky steering wheel horn button. My neighbors must have loved when that happened right outside their bedroom window.
9. Removed and reinstalled oil pan with the correct Toyota sealant. TC used what looked like bathroom caulking which leaked.
10. Cut off sway bar brackets from rear axel.
11. Most important, I now have some piece of mind that there should be no more major problems over the horizon.

Last edited:
Being that I rarely have passengers in the back seat, I swapped out the best-top forward facing rear seat with the factory jump seats. It gives be a lot more cargo space and I can fit up to six people now. Plus it just looks so freaking cool.

I can always swap back if needed for a long trip with passengers.

1616611898157.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to have helped you out on this one Eric. The truck is really well sorted now and I would be confident taking it on any long trip. Photos do not do this truck justice, it is so nice in person. The 5 speed with the 1FZ is really a great choice.

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

I've been following this thread for a bit and felt for you throughout the process. I'm excited to hear you have confidence in it. That is a great compliment and know you can drive it without wondering "What's next??"

what did those Miami guys charge you for the FJ43?

Update April 2022. I dropped my FJ off with Dave at DD Performance Research and he will be fixing up the fuel injection along with adding number of fun upgrades. Stay tuned……
I really enjoyed reading your thread and how you resolved many of the issues you had. Mad respect and a great looking rig. Cheers!

Non-Issue: I managed to score a whole bolt of the matching marine grade vinyl upholstery material from the manufacture in Columbia. No charge. They just asked to post pictures of my interior on their web site and social media.

For my first project with the material, I made a boot cover for my parking brake lever to match the shifter boots. I thought it came out pretty good considering that I had to use my daughter's cheap home-ec sewing machine for the stitching.

I plan on making making a role up tool bag next. If anyone has a good pattern or go-by pictures, please send them my way.

View attachment 2377796
These look perfect. A great upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom