Tent cot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL, I'm with you, tent cot on the ground makes sense to me. In the U.S. we don't worry about the critters that the folks across the pond has to worry about. It just amuses me to see tent cots on top of roof racks!!

We used our double tent cot @ Rubithon '08. Stayed in it 4 consecutive nights and it worked great. It did condensate a bit. I lashed it to the top of our topless 40. We also have a RTT. Used it labor day weekend and it poured rain most of the time, and we were very happy to be up and out of the mud. The x-tra room over the tent cot was a big plus as we spent a good amount of time in it. I would use the tent cot for an overnighter, but the RTT rocks for longer stays, IMO. I will bring the RTT to Rubithon '09.

bet that cot will fit on a full size rack over an 80, now that's a poorman's RTT! guess it needs 2 people to take down from the rack, but if you could fit it in the back, then it's that much more practical. (guess the confusion was thinkin it'd be set up on the top, just transport)

it'd make for a nice playpen too for toddlers and the little ones during the day.

It has been done on an Xterra.

Picture002.jpg

That's a long way down, and unless it's really bolted down good I'm not gettin' in :grinpimp:

I remember reading more on it, I think over at Expo's camping section.
I think it was in a thread over there on roof top tents.
He does have it clamped down.

Found it.
introduction - Expedition Portal Forum

Somewhere else though he goes into more detail on it.

LOL, I'm with you, tent cot on the ground makes sense to me. In the U.S. we don't worry about the critters that the folks across the pond has to worry about. It just amuses me to see tent cots on top of roof racks!!

With the really dangerous critters we North Americans have it is best to put distance between your tent, food supply and cooking area. Hard shells work to a degree, but a bear can easily bend out a door window frame to gain access to the interior. It just needs to be persistent enough or know the trick. If you search you can find videos of this happening on the web. I wonder if good weatherstripping would prevent a bear from smelling food through that crack and thus make it less likely the bear would try to open it wider?

i doubt good weatherstripping will even work, gotta do a food bag hang up in a tree a distance away from the tent. bears know what coolers are and what they hold, so even if they're in the back seat, it's advisable to cover them with a blanket. but yeah, no food in the tent! even toothpaste spit after brushing your teeth is enough to attract bears too, so spit that over the fire. but depends where you camp and how domesticated the wildlife are i guess.

I went to Bass Pro Shop yesterday morning to take a look at the tent cot. The guy that was helping me did not know how to set it up. It took him about 8 minutes to "get'r done" however it collapsed....

I thought the double model was way too heavy for one person (of normal strength) to balance his/her weight on the spare tire (my method of getting up onto the roof rack) and pull the double tent cot with one arm unasisted. (which is the way packing and un-packing ussually goes on my household due to the age of our 3 little ones.)

The cot looked well built and it was definetively more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The thermarest would definetively add a tremendous amount of comfort specially with the "copulation kit." (Coupler kit or kit used to put two mattresses together.)

My thought after seeing the cot... is that for the amount of work that would be invoved on placing it on the roof rack (for transportation), taking it down, setting it up and taking it down and placing it back on the roof rack... I am sticking with the blue tarp burrito method and using a normal... wholesome good ole' tent shold the weather turn ugly.

If it was 15#'s lighter... I would buy one. I do not want to add a crane to my roof rack.

My 2 cents!!

My thought after seeing the cot... is that for the amount of work that would be invoved on placing it on the roof rack (for transportation), taking it down, setting it up and taking it down and placing it back on the roof rack... I am sticking with the blue tarp burrito method and using a normal... wholesome good ole' tent shold the weather turn ugly.

If it was 15#'s lighter... I would buy one. I do not want to add a crane to my roof rack.

My 2 cents!!

My thought on placing a tent cot on the roof rack is just plain ridiculous but each to their own. :cheers:

Alia, I have 3 kids in child seats on the rear of my 40... the only place I could carry it would be on the roof rack.

Notwithstanding, tent cot idea... aborted, Houston!!

Sorry dude, I meant setting up the tent cot on the roof rack for sleeping purposes!

Milkwagon,
Glad you got to see one in person before you purchased. Now you understand my mixed feelings as stated in my first post. They are very easy to set up and if set up correctly will not collapse. I like it for trips were we camp in a different location each night. I have a 100 series cruiser so plenty of room for it inside. Definitly a two perrson job to store it on the roof.

That being said I just bought a REI two person tent for bad weather trips.

It looks great to me, and yeah, a simple way to keep the bugs out. I wonder though, how is the support? Is it strong enough to hold an extra layer of padding? (I don't think my back would last with that kind of setup--without any extra support.)

elctrcmotors,
Weight and size of the cloesed cot aside, the tent cot works very well. Trying one out at the store I knew I could not sleep in it without some form of additioal padding. I use a 3" thick therma rest mattress and love the comfort. You don't need one that thick to be comfortable in the tent cot. Just personal preference.

I really like it in warm weather, lots of ventilation. Not having to crawl into it is also a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom