Tent cot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
products_double_00_large.jpg

Does anyone have any experiences with the "Tent Cot"? It seems like an interesting idea... throw on top of the roof rack and go! Even though I am still very much in love with "blue tarp camping!" A rain fly is also available.

Last edited:
Toy350 loves his, but it is the cabela's version...not sure what differences there are. I'm actually quite jellous and would very much like to have one of my own. It is so convenient just open it up and then when it's time to go just fold it up and go. :grinpimp:

Cabela's Deluxe Tent Cot

Milkwagon,

I got one of these last year from "Bass Pro Shops. The fly is included in the box. I have used it in warm weather at the beach, cool weather in the desert and in the mountains below freezing.

I have mixed feelings about it. It was great in the warm weather. Plenty of ventalation with all the windows unzipped. Eazy to get into and out of.

In the desert it got cold at night and I zipped up all the flaps to keep the wind out. Lots of condinsation on the interior walls the next morning. The tent itself is fairly water proof with out the fly.

In the mountains I put on the fly which actually allowed better ventilation options. I could open the tent windows a bit without it getting too breezy inside. This took care of the condensation problem. It snowed that night and I was snug and warm.

Pros: Easy set up, Easy to get into since it is raised like a cot. Roomy inside with lots of pockets. confortable if you use a thermarest mattress.

Cons: Condinsation if you aren't careful to ventilate. Large and bulky and heavy. A bit big and heavy to just throw up on the roof rack. If it is raining there is no vestibule for muddy shoes and your bedding will get wet if you try to take rain gear off in the tent cot. Blue tarp over the tent cot would work best in these conditions.

Hope this helps.

3rd Cruiser, thank you for your thorough answer. I am planning on going to Malasia on December during monsoon season for the Rainforest Challenge. I was looking for something off the ground because of the intense rains and mud.

I had not given though to jumping into a cot with raingear on rather than entering a vestibule. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Sounds like a great trip. Are you competing in the event?

You still might want to consider the tent cot if you can rig up a tarp off your vehicle and put the TC underneath. It will keep you above the mud and critters and the mesh screens on the numerous windows and doors will keep the bugs at bay.

Check out the weight and dimisions as it is very sturdy but heavy.

I am just going as an spectator. I wish I had the know how, team and funds to participate. Have you heard of the Fun Race in Venezuela? It is going to start this weekend and the second leg in May. That one appears to be more doable based upon my skills or lack of. :)

hmm, cool idea. looks like it's that much easier to set up, it's above ground and you can store stuff under it! for under $300, it's a nice alternative to a RTT (apples to oranges tho) that's more than 4x the cost, and prolly half the weight, it's just that you have to put it on the ground...you can sit on it as you take your shoes off, dust your feet off and let the stanky shoes air dry underneath. i like the queen/double sized one.

anyone have a shot of it folded and stored on the roof?

I am planning on going to Bass Pro Shop this weekend to check it out. I does sound like a great set up compared to a roof mount tent. Bass Pro has the best price I have found $299 including the rain fly.

I will take a picture of it and post it.

Hi All:

I have a 'wheeling friend that *loves* his tent cot (Cabelas version, I believe.)

His history includes lots of time doing off-road motorcycle racing and boy scout trips.

My observation is though it does get one off of the ground it is bulky and expensive (in comparison to the typical 2 or 3 person tent.)

Regards,

Alan

"I bought mine from TRD for 269 and it included the fly. " Yes, but shipping is $125.00. Bass Pro is $35.

A friend that did lots of trips into rain forests would put up a large square tarp first. Tied a nylon rope very taunt between two trees and then they tied diagonally opposite corners of the tarp to the same two trees with the tarp draped over the rope. Then they would tie out the other two corners. Finally they would setup camp under that. Tent wise they used standard backpacking tents. The taunt rope allowed clothing and other stuff to be hanged up under the tarp.

As for cot tents, I remember a 2 person one. I also remember ones that are more of a platform tent. They have a hard floor rather than a draped cloth floor.

I've got the single, and I think it's great. To improve ventilation, I made a few mods to the fly. On the door side, I added a pair of fiberglass tent poles (got them free as surplus from a local sporting goods place), with a couple of loops to guy out the flap as a canopy. Works great if it is not blowing rain sideways.
On the opposite side, I added a loop to pull the fly away from the window on that side. This helps the airflow if the flap is closed.
In cold weather, if you close up the fly you will get a lot of frost on the inside. In good weather, it is great without the fly for bug protection, and you can see the stars through the end windows overhead.
With these two mods, and a Thermorest, it's a great rig for overnight stops on the trail, when you don't really want to spend time looking for a place to pitch a tent. You can set it up on river cobble and other nasty surfaces without a problem, and it is pretty easy to excavate enough to level it on uneven terrain.
Yes, it is heavy and bulky, but it lays flat on my roof rack with my sleeping bag (in a river bag) on top of it, so it really doesn't take up much space.
If you're setting up a base camp for several days, I think a tent is still a better choice. But, I seldom spend two nights in the same place on my trips, so this is my rig of choice.

what is the fascination with this tent being setup on the roof racks? It looks goofy to me and I don't quite understand the practicality of it. Please enlighten me!

by that you mean roof top tents? (the tent cot isn't) i think those started a while back in african safaris to keep the wildlife away (hmm, do i set up a tent on the ground where there are black mambas and lions runnin around, or do i sleep on the roof!). the practicality is that they set up real quick (some in seconds), easy to store, you get that above ground sense of security, away from the mud, and RTT's are typically very heavy duty 4 season tents, ...hmm, away from cold ground too for those cold camping trips. nothing wrong with tents, it's just different...and the tent cot sorta has both worlds, but it boils down to needs and practicality. i like the tent cot cuz there's less chance of getting dirt and sand in there if you sit and take your shoes off and crawl in, minor i know. but it is heavier and will most likely need to be stored on the roof.

bah, nothing wrong with a good old fashioned tent to keep the bugs out!

I'm aware of RTTs and such. I just want to know the practicality of sticking a Tent Cot on top of a roof rack!

I'm aware of RTTs and such. I just want to know the practicality of sticking a Tent Cot on top of a roof rack!

It's a poor man's RTT!

I love the tent cot. For solo trips it rules. True it's a bit heavy and bulky, but it is ultra comfortable and mine has been bone dry in significant rain.

The condensation issue is real, so be aware and make sure to provide lots of ventillation.

Size wize, it's about the size of the bed in the FJ40, so I pack my junk and place it on top.

I'd buy it again.

Alia, my thought was to "transport" the tent cot on the roof rack of my 40. I have no intention on using it while on top of my vehicle. I have no desire to transport a ladder, nor sleep on top of my 40... I am sure that those who own and decided to invest in a roof top tent enjoy its obvious benefits. However, I am with you, I do not see their practicality here in North America.

If I had to worry about black mambas, lions and other big game... I would probably much rather sleep inside the vehicle than on top. However, that is my and my ignorance of said Godly beasts... .

I like the idea of "just opening the cot" having a place above ground to sleep, seat, take my shoes off and enjoy the spacious windows weather permitting.

I own several tents and many times opt to sleep on top of a blue tarp or cover myself with a blue tarp as is less burdensome than having to set a tent after a long day on the trail or the road. I usually only pitch the tent if encountering freezing rain and/or extreme wind. Otherwise the "blue tarp burrito" method is my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom