"Temporary" Jerry can holder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dcx13

Life's too short for bad coffee.
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm heading out on a trip on the 9th (In-laws are doing a family gig in Yellowstone, so I plan on exploring some areas on the way out & back to CA) and may hitting a few areas with questionable distances between fuel. Does anyone know of/make a jerry can holder that could mount to the rear of an 80, without drilling into it? In my mind, I'm envisioning something like the old hooks-onto-window-edge cup holder, except the can mount would attach over the rear gate, under the lower lip of the top hatch. Any ideas?

Given the time, and my budget, getting a bumper & swing out set up won't be happening until the fall, and the only thing up top is a tent on Yakima bars - no rack. I'd toss a can in the truck, but the Mrs isn't keen on huffing gas, and the drawer unit would set the weight a bit higher than I'd like. This is really more of a "just in case" kind of thing, so it's not a deal breaker if I can't find something.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a trailer hitch? You could do something simple that plugs into that, if so...

Hitch is occupied by a bike rack.

A package of decent ratchet straps is pretty cheap at Harbor Freight, Home Depot also has them if you want ones just a little beefier.

You have drawers, don't you? Do they have tie down points on them?

A couple Jerry cans right over the driver wheel well and you can probably just sneak a super siphon through the sliding windows to fuel up.

Get real crossbars & toss the bikes on the roof, get a receiver mount basket & add cans.

You never said cheap, so that or the bikes go in the rig, or you figure out a dual load way to use your receiver for both.

Otherwise you'll be adding a spindle & swingout, or some such thing to that bumper.

I'd prioritize the Jerrys, bikes are a afterthought & easy to solve once you deal with your fuel storage.

A proper bumper, with tire & fuel swing outs is next on the list... 2.5" lift is being installed on Thursday... but time & budget don't allow before this trip. Bikes on top is out, since there's a rooftop tent up there already. Part of the trip is to do some riding (product R&D for me), so bikes have to come along. And the inside needs to stay relatively open, since I'll be hauling a couple passengers while we're doing the "family" bit of the trip.

Future plans call for a BajaRack Exp rack, so I'll have some rooftop cargo options, and a proper bumper/swing out combo. I just need to find a temporary solution that doesn't involve fuel inside the vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't care if it were inside, but since I'll have to haul the In-laws, and affiliated kids, I'd rather not have it in there.

Maybe strap a can to a bike or the rack somehow? I've pondered this question too. We picked up a guy outside of Denali NP a few years back who had ran his rental car Corolla out of gas. Ha! This was me, wife, daughter and gear in our petro pig FJ62. He had bought a gas can that supposedly wouldn't vent fumes, so I agreed to stow in cargo area. To my surprise, it really didn't smell a bit. But, we only drove him 25 miles or so. FWIW...

Can you weld?

It seems if you buy a OTR receiver basket to start (saves time), then weld some pickpoints to hold bikes over the Jerries (not like they need to move fast, and if installed right still get hatch open, tailgate would involve unloading).

Nothing fancy, you can use rachet straps & add plumber foam pipe over rub spots on bike frames (it works, done it plenty when we overload a rack & we're carrying our carbon fiber framed bikes - mine's a few $K & I don't mind doing it when we bring the pool noodles / plumber pipe insulation & zip ties.

That's about the best I can conjure with the restrictions & future mods post-trip.

Get a NATO Wavian can and carry it inside somewhere, they're pricy but theres no smell at all.

Factory rack? Yakima? Just bungee on a spare fuel container. Done.

Seriously?

You people...

:rolleyes:

On the hood. Or better yet, secured to the front bumper in front of the radiator :rofl:.

How far are you going?
You can strap it to the roof with the tent or figure out a way to sit it on the rear bumper and strap it to the tail gate. It will scratch the crap out of your paint but it will be there.

Have you ever seen the trucks transporting appliances to Mexico? You got this.

You can always get one of these

u2uvubev.jpg

You can always get one of these

u2uvubev.jpg

Wow. He ticked every last box on the "boy band options list", and not so much as a nick in the paint, or a rub on those fancy fenders. Even the axle is clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom