Temp sensor mounting location on SBC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys - seems like the natural spo for this (yellow circle) is blocked by the neck. I’ll need to create a bypass that allows coolant flor still but any thought on red vs green location?

Ignore the gnarled band aid, another car bit me.

Thanks!
7FB540AC-CC9A-45AF-AC30-A5F8A552A286.jpeg
98D6E3DF-E017-40A9-B87E-A08D14F29ADE.jpeg

I have mine in the cylinder head on the passenger side.
I have mine on the driver side cylinder head..works great that way for me..

GM typically put them in the drivers side head near #1cylder. The water pump is a bad idea.

One alternative suggestion though not as shiny as a chrome water neck is a stock one that has a bung in it
already, custom made for your water temperature sensor...Jegs, Summit and any number of auto parts places
generally have these in stock...Good luck with your install!

Cheers

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

@1Fine40 SBC are new to me so thanks for the dope slap.

Looks like this is the ticket

D67D81A6-D07D-4F93-AFCF-F7B28C58D0D7.jpeg

X2 on the driver side head by first cyl., at least thats where all the sbc's I've had were. Speaking to older sbc's , I have not looked to see where the temp sender is on the LS motors.

Plus the water neck puts the temp sender on the radiator side, no engine temp until thermo opens, assuming the thermo opens ? Just my 2 cents but I like it on the engine side.

Thanks guys - great discussion.

My radiator hose is in the way for mounting it on the head/intake. I suppose I could get a taller neck?

613C600A-04FA-4AF3-8B27-9CE0C2E5FB52.jpeg

There's a plug next to # 1 spark plug, in the cylder head. Your pic is of the intake manifold.

In between #1 & #2 spark plug. Driver side.
20190919_202842.jpg

Proof that IH8MUD can help even dolts wrench on their FJ40s

THANK YOU.

31504A18-7A0C-4BDE-9C90-68362B227B53.jpeg

@4x4veteran - ordered a replacement gauge that comes with a new sender. Not thrilled about a non-matching gauge but I'm getting to a time crunch and just need something functional.

BTW - what happened to the dash gauge was then I removed the connectors in rear it took a surprising amount of effort as at some point a PO over-tightened them. I think because of that the gauge face came loose and dropped below the clean opening. It may well work still but I cannot see it which kind of negates it's purpose. Ha.

Thanks for the response and suggestions.

You will always have a wealth of opinion and experience on this board for just about EVERYTHING LandCruiser and
a good deal of other stuff as well. ;) The head location is a very accurate picture of what is going on in your cooling system,
and as others have mentioned, it is simple to get to. I have mine located there, but occasionally in some engine compartments
it is easier to plop the sensor into the water neck due to existing wiring or just equipment layout in the bay. At least you have
options to choose from!

:cheers:

Revival of the thread!
Got a FJ55 with SBC 307 swap. Am putting in Holley Sniper EFI. But I just can not find the Temp Sensor location. On driver side between #1 and #3, and Pass side #6 and #8. Seems like wasn't there, or someone fill it and bored it out. I got a sensor on manifold already. Don't know if anyone makes dual sensor splits? Thanks for the help!
sbc sensor loc.jpg

Revival of the thread!
Got a FJ55 with SBC 307 swap. Am putting in Holley Sniper EFI. But I just can not find the Temp Sensor location. On driver side between #1 and #3, and Pass side #6 and #8. Seems like wasn't there, or someone fill it and bored it out. I got a sensor on manifold already. Don't know if anyone makes dual sensor splits? Thanks for the help! View attachment 2373435
What did you figure out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom