Temp Guage not working! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, could someone please explain the wiring for the temperature guage for me? Mine's not working, its a 1978 BJ40 landcruiser. Im pretty sure the sender is fine, i replaced it not long ago.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ryan

RyRy said:
Hey, could someone please explain the wiring for the temperature guage for me? Mine's not working, its a 1978 BJ40 landcruiser. Im pretty sure the sender is fine, i replaced it not long ago.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ryan

A lot of people here will tell you to put a mech temp gauge. That what I do and I'm happy with it ! :)

I really like my Isspro gauges, they seem to be build very well. Just be sure to get one with a long enough capilary cord, Seems like the 6 feet ones are pretty standard and you can't reach very far with that.

well, i'd really just like to be able to get my standard one to work...

hello
take the sending unit wire and ground it out to a good ground and turn the key on. If the the guage goes all the way up the guage is good, if it does not the sending unit is no good or you have a broken wire or bad connection some where
waaz

which one is the sending unit wire? nothings connected at the moment.

Now after seeing so many posts about this and actually having a good set of mechnical gauges installed, I can't beleve I ever trusted those finiiky toyota gauges, garbage to be honest with you!

i dont want a mechanical guage and i actually think their illegal here.

Perth, Australia. I think its something to do with the fact that theres hot coolant running through it. I just need to fix mine :(

actually you could run an aftermarket elec gauge which will not have any coolant concerns but the old 4* series gauges were much better than the 60 70 stuff.
i suck at elec so i have no suggestions for you,
sorry.

its basically, positive from the battery through the fuse box to the guage, which is grounded through the sending unit to the engine. As the sending unit heats up, it decreases in resistance, increasing the voltage at the guage.

Like Waaz said, the wire that is connected to the sending unit on the thermostat housing, unplug it with the ignition in the ON position and have someone hold it against a ground, like the thermostat housing. If the guage goes up, the sender is fried, or you just have a bad connection. Otherwise you will have to trace the power to the guage from the fuse box.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom