techstream ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can you direct me in right path , to purchase genuine tech stream ?
what are the options ?

what are the options ?
You can go to eBay and buy a used one which includes laptop, cable and Techstream software.

I went with the less expensive route and got the cable with software. Installed fine on Windows 10 laptop. Around $50.

are they have expiration time ? need be updated ?
Funny you say that. I purchased mine in Nov which was version 14.x. Went to use it the other day and got a warning that it was obsolete and I needed to upgrade. Searched on the forum and found a workaround. Disconnect from internet when you launch an expired version (it can't phone home) and you get 29 more launches which can also be reset. Anyway, I contacted the seller and he gave me a download today for version 15.x. I'll need to get a new code from him when he comes back online.

what are the options ?

There are many hacked versions and several different hardware cable solutions. However, @Sandroad has posted above a link to the genuine product for use in the USA.

With European connections you can get a genuine version with different pricing options

$1595 for one year geniune product, or $30-40 for a questionable knockoff...

Funny you say that. I purchased mine in Nov which was version 14.x. Went to use it the other day and got a warning that it was obsolete and I needed to upgrade. Searched on the forum and found a workaround. Disconnect from internet when you launch an expired version (it can't phone home) and you get 29 more launches which can also be reset. Anyway, I contacted the seller and he gave me a download today for version 15.x. I'll need to get a new code from him when he comes back online.

@prharper Could you share who this seller is or where we could find him?

@prharper Could you share who this seller is or where we could find him?
I purchased from 2 eBay sellers over the years. One in Asia and another in Estonia. Both are inactive accounts now and not surprised.
I'm sure new sellers have surfaced.

I found a used toyota tough box laptop couple of years ago on Ebay.. $400 shipped. Plug and play with zero issues

When you say risk are you referring to things like malware?
Microsoft flags it but I think it does w/most patched software. Its so easy to create a VM and you can get windows for $5 online its was the easiest option. I am also a mac user so this allows me to use my mac without a full dual boot.

Microsoft flags it but I think it does w/most patched software. Its so easy to create a VM and you can get windows for $5 online its was the easiest option. I am also a mac user so this allows me to use my mac without a full dual boot.
Which interface cable do you use? and have you verified that it will program TPMS and do live data for the ECU/TCU? Many people get cables working only to find it won't handle those tasks. I vaguely remember reading this can be more of an issue in a VM environment than a real windows partition/install.

I run the VXDiag cable/plug using a mac and a windows vm, and I can program tpms, etc.

I run the VXDiag cable/plug using a mac and a windows vm, and I can program tpms, etc.
Intel or apple silicon?

I recently upgraded my diagnostic setup to a 12" macbook retina off craigslist (for $200!) but was bootcamping it.. might play with the VM route.

Intel or apple silicon?

I recently upgraded my diagnostic setup to a 12" macbook retina off craigslist (for $200!) but was bootcamping it.. might play with the VM route.
The MacBook Retina model should work. I have a 2012 version and it runs VM's. BTW - I love MacBooks, that 2012 model still runs like a champ. I would have gone thru 2-3 Windows laptop's by now

However my new MacBook Pro with Apple chipset M1 Max will not run VM's. It's a Microsoft licensing issue that needs to get sorted out.

Intel or apple silicon?

I've run it on both. My current macbook is Apple silicon (I prefer the Intel I had previously, for reasons completely unrelated to Techstream).

The MacBook Retina model should work. I have a 2012 version and it runs VM's. BTW - I love MacBooks, that 2012 model still runs like a champ. I would have gone thru 2-3 Windows laptop's by now

However my new MacBook Pro with Apple chipset M1 Max will not run VM's. It's a Microsoft licensing issue that needs to get sorted out.
I'v run it in Bootcamp (Intel) and both Parallels and Virtual Box (Apple).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom