Tbi 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Advance adapters

Ditch the factory tbi and go with a sniper throttle body or maybe multi port. The old tbi systems are pretty antiquated and you will see a big improvement with an upgrade.

I had a problem with the AA adapter to the A440f, the flex plate was too far away from the trans and needed spacers between the flexplate and torque converter. Ive had more problems with AA then success now that I think of it.

A chevy NV4500, or maybe NV3500 adapted to the toyota t-case might be a nice alternative to the AA adapter in hindsight, plus you get the benefits or disadvantages of a manual trans depending on how you look at it.

I did notice when I looked up the adapters they looked kind of goofy. From what I understand it uses a manual flywheel a spacer and then bolts the flex plate to the end of that. Is that correct?
I had a problem with the AA adapter to the A440f, the flex plate was too far away from the trans and needed spacers between the flexplate and torque converter. Ive had more problems with AA then success now that I think of it.

A chevy NV4500, or maybe NV3500 adapted to the toyota t-case might be a nice alternative to the AA adapter in hindsight, plus you get the benefits or disadvantages of a manual trans depending on how you look at it.

I did notice when I looked up the adapters they looked kind of goofy. From what I understand it uses a manual flywheel a spacer and then bolts the flex plate to the end of that. Is that correct?

That sounds familiar, its been probably over a decade since I put it in, but after assembling everything the vehicle wouldn't move, having the torque converter not fully in was like having the t-case in neutral, none of the gears did anything, had a mechanic sort it out, it cost a few bucks.. When he figured it out essentially he added washers between the flexplate and torque converter and then it worked. The sad part was that I trusted AA to make a functional adapter and had to get it towed and spend more money for someone to trouble shoot it.

With my cummins I have an AA adapter between the NV4500 and split case, its had a slow leak since I bought it, and have pulled it all apart and re sealed it a couple times. I just don't trust them, and would try and avoid Advanced Adapters, but there are thousands out there that use they're stuff with success. Consider it just a heads up, and if you can get a GM gas version of the NV4500 on the cheap that will bolt up, you may prefer that over the auto. I personally like the 5 speed for wheeling.

I will see what I can find. There has to be someone else making adapters if nothing else

Have my drivetrain figured out. My buddy has a turbo 350 attached to a 203. I have a 205. So th350 with a 203 205 doubler. Gives me 3 speeds with a 4 to 1 low

that was my plan too, but the newer systems need different pumps and maybe different plumbing. Cheaper to do it up front.
I switched from TBI to FiTech. Better mileage, better driveability, and tons more power .... but Steve is right, you're replacing the entire fuel system to go from TBI to any new EFI.... it's something to really consider when you're starting, I easily have the cost of the FiTech in the Howell's TBI system....

Have my drivetrain figured out. My buddy has a turbo 350 attached to a 203. I have a 205. So th350 with a 203 205 doubler. Gives me 3 speeds with a 4 to 1 low
That drivetrain is pretty long. I would measure from the crank pulley to the rear output of both the stock drivetrain and your proposed.

In my 40, I have a 350/SM465/203/split case and its longer than the stock drivetrain by several inches. Depending on your ride height, it can make driveshaft angles a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom