Tapping noise inside the valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Noise just started on the '94. I noticed that the oil pressure stays just above the mid level when driving and it gets close to almost on the lowest scale when idling. The engine has 220k on it. Valve adjustments? Oil pressure? Lifters or shims? All of the above? Which is more common? TIA

Anyone?

What kind of noise ? Tick, thud, clack, knock?

I've got a noisy fuel injector. Use a long screwdriver or get a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

What kind of noise ? Tick, thud, clack, knock?

I've got a noisy fuel injector. Use a long screwdriver or get a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Sound more like a clack. Engine idle and run fine. I'll try to use a scope. Thanks

What weight oil are you running? Did you do a engine flush or something recently? Like bg engine purge?
Was running 10w40 with engine oil treatment.Did the motor flush to see if it will help.Still the same.Tried running thicker oil to see if it will quiet it down. No luck. I'm leaning more now on valve adjustments. I will have a mechanic look at it and see what they say. Thanks

Noise started before the engine flush.

Latest report from the dealership. Noise coming from the timing chain tensioner.

Can you get a video/sound clip of the noise and post it up?

What is your plan, replace the tensioner?

They are replacing the tensioner and checking the oil pressure.

Last edited:
Hope that works out. Currently working on rig with similar klacking noise. Inspected valve train and timing chain, but to problems there. Noise is too high to be crank problem, so thinking wrist pin on # 1 or 2 cylinder. Swapping in good long block now. May open up old engine later. John

Hope that works out. Currently working on rig with similar klacking noise. Inspected valve train and timing chain, but to problems there. Noise is too high to be crank problem, so thinking wrist pin on # 1 or 2 cylinder. Swapping in good long block now. May open up old engine later. John
Thanks John.

Sterling McCall Toyota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom