Tap size for oil galley plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finishing up my rebuild and replacing my casting plugs. I ordered the front oil galley welch plug from toyota over stock parts and instead of the welch plug i got a threaded plug part number 90344-54003. I guess the threaded plug is a parts up date but now i need to know what size tap i will need. I have looked on the site to find it but not having any luck. If any would could tell me that would be great going to fastenall tomorrow.

Last edited:
I used this video a while ago. Pretty good. And just putting this here for future searchers looking for info...

Key words: Welch plug Expansion Plug.

Fantastic tech, thanks. In the thread you linked, Jim steers away from tapping as the block is pretty hard steel, yet the other says it's a must. My path will be decided by whether or not I can source that tap AND get to it with the engine in place!

Love that tractor mechanic vid, either way.

Personally, I don't think I would try and tap the block while in the truck. If I f'd it up or broke a tap (not likely though with a tap that big), it'd be a nightmare....

I'd much rather do the Plug, Permatex #1, high-temp JB Weld the way Jim describes doing it, and call it good for prolly the rest of the time you have the truck (or that engine ;) )

The key if you use Permatex and JB Weld will be to clean clean clean the hole. I'd use acetone or something that kills you if you inhale too much.

Good luck and keep us posted on outcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom