Tap and Die Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any recommendations? In building my bumper I stripped out my tap that is the right size for the ball studs trying to tap 1/4" mild steel. I'm missing several parts so I might as well go for a set.

I don't use a lot, but I need to be able to do more than just chase threads.

american vermont. low price and good taps and dies. i use them all the time

Seriously? I've never had luck with American Vermont tools.

I punted a bit. A full on tap and die set of the quality I started looking at was going to be too much and I didn't want china freight for something like this. I figure this is the sort of tool you won't get away with cheap crap. I bought a single tap of the size I needed from the local high end tool shop. I tapped the 4 holes and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I'll probably just keep going down this route buying pieces as I need them.

Hey, I use Harbor Freight taps, the 2 or 3 times a year I need them. I've just never had luck with VA tools in general, wondered if I was missing something.

I agree with chinese. While my chinese taps have always worked, the case they are in is a royal PITA. The taps NEVER stay in there slots when I close the cover.

Hey, I use Harbor Freight taps, the 2 or 3 times a year I need them. I've just never had luck with VA tools in general, wondered if I was missing something.

dont know what to say maybe i am lucky. i use them fairly often and never had a problem yet still sharp and never broke one. knock on wood i guess

Agree on avoiding Chinese. I've always bought Craftsman, but they're probably chinese these day.

Don't forgot to get a set of left-hand drill bits for removing broken bolts.

I still frequently use the Craftsman tap and die set I bought over 30-years ago. Not sure who made it for them, surely USA back then, but I've definitely got my $ worth out of it. Yeah...I've replaced the taps I've worn out in certain sizes over the years but what a useful set of 'tools' its been...

Unfortunately this doesn't answer your question about what to buy today...

theres plenty of better and more expensive stuff out there but for what little i use them they have been just fine. metric set 130 and sae set 130 not to bad. but like i said if i used them everyday i might buy something better.http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...d}&rct=j&frm=1&q=american+vermont+tap+and+die

I figured the VA would be under $100 and blow me outta the water.

Our set at $169 (usa) looks competitive online. Its a Champion Product and we use their drills, taps, and annular cutters which all have good feedback on them.
40 Pc SAE Tap Set- Made In USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom