Talk me out of a 5th gen Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have owned both. Had a 2016 4runner trail premium. It was an amazing vehicle but one thing I hated was a car payment. I hated having car payments. Then I made the mistake of test driving a 100 series. The build quality is better on the 100 series and it gives almost all the creature comforts of the 5th gen. Some things that bugged me on the 4runner... non locking gas door, no automatic headlights, very very very dated tech, cheaper feeling materials. Again I loved my 4runner but I have not missed it one bit with ownership of 2 100 series land cruisers. If I was set on getting a slightly newer vehicle I would give a hard look at the GX 460, gx470 or the 200 series. All are not as expensive as you would think. I see 200s for low 20s all day. Yes they have miles but if you understand what you are buying then it is non issue.

I 100% agree with this.

I think it comes down to what a Lexus or newer Land Cruiser looks like. It looks like a luxury vehicle that needs to be treated as such. Also they look like status symbols to me. While the 100 series is no where near the peak of utilitarian when it comes to Cruisers, it still has more of that character than the 200s. I'm starting to come around on the Lexus though, especially once it gets a bumper and a lift. I know that's stupid since it's the same vehicle, but the look bothers me!! :frown:

I find the 100 easy to work on and affordable to maintain. Parts are higher but problems are rare. Since I enjoy driving it so much the occasional expense doesn't hurt as much. ($1100 for new tires last week did sting a bit.)

Even at 200k not much has needed work. I don't replace parts that are working just because they are old. The 20 year old rubber hoses in the engine bay are in great condition and show no signs of needing replaced.

I think that the biggest difference in the 100 is seat position and drivers view. Lots of glass. Not compared to 4Runner where I have no experience but both are Toyota products and will probably last as long as you want. (My Camry is at 303k and still running strong as my commuter.)

I think it comes down to what a Lexus or newer Land Cruiser looks like. It looks like a luxury vehicle that needs to be treated as such. Also they look like status symbols to me. While the 100 series is no where near the peak of utilitarian when it comes to Cruisers, it still has more of that character than the 200s. I'm starting to come around on the Lexus though, especially once it gets a bumper and a lift. I know that's stupid since it's the same vehicle, but the look bothers me!! :frown:
Its the same platform and depreciates out of the box more than a 4Runner does. Plus the gx460 comes with a v8. So you’re paying less for more. I’m long over the high school kid days of status due to stuff. It’ll all be old and rusty someday so who cares. It doesn’t mean anything. I drive a Lexus and Toyota. Do you know who cares one little bit no one. When I walk in to my office does the CFO stop and say hey what are we paying this guy? Nope because honestly he doesn’t care what I spend the money I’ve earned. Most people have not a clue what a land cruiser or a Lexus even is so I think the OP is safe with the above vehicles which can be had for less despite being a Lexus.

You didn't mention what age your children are, but if they are in carseats, I recommend a 100/200 all day long. Especially with dogs in the picture. I currently fit three car seats across the 2nd row with dogs and other stuff in the back. My kids are 6, 6, and 5 and with the increasing frequency of friends riding along, the third row is becoming ever more important. I don't recall which versions of the 4R have a third row, but I believe it's not an option on all of them. Bottom line, don't discount the space in the LC. (Full disclosure I haven't done an inch-by-inch comparision...)

I have contemplated moving up to the 200, but with "only" 92k miles on my 100, financially it just doesn't make sense. I keep up with the maintenance and despite refreshing the AHC and replacing a steering rack, I'm completely content with the cost of ownership (mostly gas).

I prefer the LX version of the 100, but obviously that's a debate in of itself.

Last edited:
My wife loves her 2015 4Runner, she got it new and will drive it until it will not move any more. When I drive it the feeling is cheap and mass produced. They are good value for the money and the wife is happy.
DF1CDFFB-E9A3-4E9B-8CED-4744EEB43DBD.jpeg

By the way, I still drive my 100 series 90% of the time. They just got everything right with them. The 200 is just a monster but does not have the character of the 100. Wife wanted me to have a newer car about four years ago and it just sits. The 100 for me is perfect in so many ways!

I have made some changes to the 200 over the past year to giver her some more character.

3E677A10-A79F-4311-804F-7AB498942E41.jpeg

I've had both. Had a '16 Limited. Build quality is second only to a Cruiser among vehicles I have owned. T4R is a great truck. Everything excellent EXCEPT: pearl white paint was soft and almost impossible to touch up. Avoid that color. Radio is dated and slow to respond. Passenger seat is not very comfortable as driver side, never could find a comfortable position on passenger side. The worst thing about it is if you tow. It's only rated for 5K pounds, and there is no aftermarket hitch for it. It also tends to wander more when towing than the LC because it so much lighter. But overall, I found it to be a very impressive truck compared to others in is size. And they are still built in Japan.

My last wheeling day I was out with several 5th gens, and behind one of them all day. It was fully built, but still seemed to struggle way more than my Cruiser, even though the 5th gen was 10 years newer and supposedly had the newer ATRAC etc. The Cruiser simply walked over everything, and the 5th gen seemed to struggle at times. I winched him out of one spot, when he couldn't go back or forward because of rocks. Hell, I'd strongly consider the Cruiser just for the super smooth V8...

hundy guy. All about the medium large size, superior build quality, and of course the tailgate!

You didn't mention what age your children are, but if they are in carseats, I recommend a 100/200 all day long. Especially with dogs in the picture. I currently fit three car seats across the 2nd row with dogs and other stuff in the back. My kids are 6, 6, and 5 and with the increasing frequency of friends riding along, the third row is becoming ever more important. I don't recall which versions of the 4R have a third row, but I believe it's not an option on all of them. Bottom line, don't discount the space in the LC. (Full disclosure I haven't done an inch-by-inch comparision...)

I have contemplated moving up to the 200, but with "only" 92k miles on my 100, financially it just doesn't make sense. I keep up with the maintenance and despite refreshing the AHC and replacing a steering rack, I'm completely content with the cost of ownership (mostly gas).

I prefer the LX version of the 100, but obviously that's a debate in of itself.

My kids are almost 2 and 6 so we’ve got many car seat years ahead of us. Thanks for the personal experience with the car seats, super helpful! Size was definitely a consideration and as y’all know cubic feet do not tell the whole story.

If you have more than two children, a 4runner is not big enough. Even with 2, going on a long road trip is cramped. My 100 fits my three across the second row, all in car seats, and with the third row removed I have a ton of cargo space in the rear. I do like the looks of the 4runners though. But if I was buying one it wouldn't be to haul my entire family and in that case I'd just get a newer Tacoma.

I know when I had my 4runner, we had to get rid of it due to the car seats. My kids were 3, 2, and 1. We literally had to use our body to shut the back doors. All three car seats were in contact with one another. The outer car seats were in contact with the doors and ended up tilting in at the top of the seat towards center.

100 Series, no debate. My father has a '16 T4R SR5 4WD. My uncle has a '17 T4R TRD Pro. My aunt has a '17 T4R TRD Trail. I've driven all of those and they are nice and very capable as well. But, my father, uncle and aunt have all commented how my '98 just feels "solid" and like it can go over and through anything. It's noticeably quieter than the T4R with much greater visibility. I can cruise on the highway at 75mph and have conversations with backseat passengers without raising our voices. This, despite the fact I have numerous adornments on my rig that would normally cause TONS of wind noise. Riding in my relatives' T4Rs, it's noticeable how much more road/wind noise there is. The materials on my 98 LX, even though they are nearly 20 years older than my relatives' T4Rs, just feels nicer and more durable (and have proven to be so). The hatch/tailgate on the LandCruiser family is just better. It gives you a place to sit with overhead protection from rain. You can picnic on it. The T4R hatch provides none of that functionality. Lastly, comparing almost any of the components will reveal just how overbuilt the 100 Series is compared to a T4R. The inner tie-rods posted earlier are just one example. The LCAs on the 100 are MUCH bigger. The CV axles are night-and-day compared to the T4R. Everything is overbuilt in the 100 Series. Here's my LX for reference.

IMG_2901.JPG

I just did this basically. Sold my '11 4Runner SR5 with 90k and bought a '00 LX with 235k miles. Wouldn't go back, put about $2k into baselining, but I've driven it another 2,000 miles in the first 2 weeks of ownership. One 800 mile road strip and another 1100 mile round trip journey. Wouldn't go back to the 4Runner and the payment for anything. Did 12 hours with only gas stops and was fine at the end, 4Runner seat woulda had me doubled over after than long a drive. The 4 speed 4.7 holds gear waaaay better on cruise control. Full time is much better for me than the part time SR5. I miss the aux input, still trying to figure out the Nakamichi crap. Fits about the same in my garage, but a bit longer.

Nice 03+ gets you into the rage of decent 5th gens, so I can see it being a tougher choice. Mine was obviously higher mileage that I bought for $5k so a little different situation. Probably can't go wrong with either. I never though twice about jumping in the 4Runner, I think I'm getting there with the LX, but it still has it's little shakes and rattles.

^^^Agreed, on road trips, a 4runner is going to kill your back. I drove to Kentucky to go climbing at Red River Gorge, that 10 hours i drove, i felt fine, took a 4 hour trip in the 4runner to the beach, my hemorrhoids were flaring up.

100 Series, no debate. My father has a '16 T4R SR5 4WD. My uncle has a '17 T4R TRD Pro. My aunt has a '17 T4R TRD Trail. I've driven all of those and they are nice and very capable as well. But, my father, uncle and aunt have all commented how my '98 just feels "solid" and like it can go over and through anything. It's noticeably quieter than the T4R with much greater visibility. I can cruise on the highway at 75mph and have conversations with backseat passengers without raising our voices. This, despite the fact I have numerous adornments on my rig that would normally cause TONS of wind noise. Riding in my relatives' T4Rs, it's noticeable how much more road/wind noise there is. The materials on my 98 LX, even though they are nearly 20 years older than my relatives' T4Rs, just feels nicer and more durable (and have proven to be so). The hatch/tailgate on the LandCruiser family is just better. It gives you a place to sit with overhead protection from rain. You can picnic on it. The T4R hatch provides none of that functionality. Lastly, comparing almost any of the components will reveal just how overbuilt the 100 Series is compared to a T4R. The inner tie-rods posted earlier are just one example. The LCAs on the 100 are MUCH bigger. The CV axles are night-and-day compared to the T4R. Everything is overbuilt in the 100 Series. Here's my LX for reference.

View attachment 1981561

You weren’t kiddin about the wind noise huh!? Very nice rig.

Now I gotta post the same question in a 4Runner forum and see what I get...probably more of the same I’d imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom