Talk me out of a 5th gen Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SO I've been lusting after a 100 series for the better part of a year. Having a family (2 kids, 2 dogs) it seemed like a great compromise of reliability, safety, and off road performance.

Then I started looking at the 5th gens out of pure curiosity and found that they are way more affordable then I had previously thought. What I'm seeing are trucks that are 10 years newer, less miles, and from what I can tell equally capable for my purposes (light offroading and camping in the Colorado/Utah backcountry) for the same price as 100s in decent shape.

Now I recognize and do not belittle the power of the heritage behind the Land Cruiser, they are cool in a way that is hard to quantify. But if I'm honest I don't need something capable of rock crawling, want to maintain good road manners, and certainly don't need "drive across Africa" reliability. Just a vehicle that is capable, trustworthy, and easy to maintain.

PLUS, the Runner has what seems to be an arguably better front suspension, still a good size for hauling gear, and has an excellent aftermarket following. I need a little guidance plus I know y'all love a good "this vs that" thread. I recognize my audience here, so talk me out of a 5th gen!

I bought my wife a 2016 4runner (our third and her "dream car") and we got rid of it in less than 2 years. We were very excited about it, but sadly it didn't live up to our expectations. Unlike our 2nd gen 4runners the new ones have the most fragile paint I've seen on a vehicle. Additionally our transfer case went out in less then a year (replaced by a recall but still..). It also had a lot of fairly cheap plastic on the interior. The straw that broke the camels back was the terrible snow/ice traction in the winter. It would essentially be useless unless 4wd was engaged all winter.

I really like the look and 4.0 engine, but it just wasn't enough to overcome the flaws for us. The 2nd gen 4runners we have had have been awesome. Both Land Cruisers I have are incredible. Just my thoughts, hopefully that helps a little.

Cheers,
Scot

Last edited:
Sounds like affordability is a top priority and for that reason I'd say go with the 4Runner. Tons of people have em and are happy so you can't really go wrong.

For your intended use the 4Runner will serve you will.

The Landcruiser of course is better overall and is almost double the price for a reason.

If safety is a concern, Landcruiser might be the answer.

4Runner's are good cars, I have one too. But It's a 4runner and wasn't made to compare to a land cruiser. If I were deciding, I'd go drive the nicest 4runner I can afford and nicest 100 series I can afford and then decide. For simplicity, 4runner hands down. For overbuilt quality feel, 100 series.

If you think ice/snow is a high concern, the full time 4wheel drive is pretty stable, skid control is standard in most years of 100 series.

Last edited:
I bought my wife a 2016 4runner (our third and her "dream car") and we got rid of it in less than 2 years. We were very excited about it, but sadly it didn't live up to our expectations. Unlike our 2nd gen 4runners the new ones have the most fragile paint I've seen on a vehicle. Additionally our transfer case went out in less then a year (replaced by a recall but still..). It also had a lot of fairly cheap plastic on the interior. The straw that broke the camels back was the terrible snow/ice traction in the winter. It would essentially be useless unless 4wd was engaged all winter.

I really like the look and 3.4 engine, but it just wasn't enough to overcome the flaws for us. The 2nd gen 4runners we have had have been awesome. Both Land Cruisers I have are incredible. Just my thoughts, hopefully that helps a little.

Cheers,
Scot

Thanks that's good info. We get plenty of snow and ice so would hate to sacrifice performance there. Is this a common complaint about the 5th gens that they're delicate?

The latest 4Runner is a fantastic vehicle. I have a 2011 Limited Full-time that is at 99k miles, and the only thing that went wrong on it since purchasing it new from the dealer was the NAV unit touchscreen, but the decoupled AC controls allowed easy installation of an aftermarket HU. That truck is so easy to drive.

Pros for LC:
The 4Runner is a little more bouncy than the Landcruiser, has some more plastic instead of soft-touch materials like the Landcruiser, and the V8 is smoother than the Dual-vvti V6. I also like the older style toyota/lexus leather over the new stuff. The Landcruiser is simply Toyota's pride, so they were built(or I'd like to think) to an exceptional degree of quality. again, just my thoughts could be completely unfounded.
LC is more comfortable IMHO
Better field of view from the driver's seat. The hood slopes more so you have amazing visibility.

Pros for 4Runner
If you wanna do some building out, go 4runner. more options and cheaper.
The 4.0 V6 is a proven engine.
The 4runner also has the potential for more power, As I believe there is a bolt on supercharger from Magnusson/TRD.
The 4Runner is an easy vehicle to work on, just like every other Toyota. They are very well designed and I have not heard a single squeak or rattle. They have sold so many of them so parts availability will never ever be a concern.
It's safer, once you make sure you get the airbag recall done.
It's also cheaper, a better bang for your buck no doubt.

The net-net is the 4Runner is a fantastic vehicle that Toyota made to tailor to I think the exact kind of person you are. The Landcruiser is for the fanatics like us on this forum, who want the best of the best that Toyota made.
I say go 4Runner.

Sounds like affordability is a top priority and for that reason I'd say go with the 4Runner. Tons of people have em and are happy so you can't really go wrong.

For your intended use the 4Runner will serve you will.

The Landcruiser of course is better overall and is almost double the price for a reason.

If safety is a concern, Landcruiser might be the answer.

Affordability is important for maintenance for sure. While I want to build the knowledge and tools to be able to fix most things on this vehicle, the reality is that I have 2 kids and a demanding job and time is the missing factor. If the Land Cruiser costs more up front but will be cheaper to maintain then that's the ticket. It seems like you hear equal amounts of "these things are bulletproof and you can't break them" and "it will last you forever if properly maintained" (ie spend lots of money keeping an old truck going.

I have had both. You cant go wrong. IMO after you drive both you will know which you like better.

As for my opinion based on your posts: It seems like you are favoring simplicity and maintenance costs, so I would lean 4Runner.

FWIW my T4R was fine in the snow, I had a Trail. If you want full time 4wd get a limited. If you dont care about putting it in 4wd (the 5th gen Trail and SR5 are center locked whenever you put it in 4wd, so be aware of that), you can get get any of them.

I didn't feel like our 4runner was delicate. However, it accumulated a ridiculous amount of paint chips within a few month of ownership. Ours was an SR5 so it did not have full time 4wd. In the end I just felt it lacked the quality found in previous 4runners and was no where near the Land Cruisers. Of course Land Cruisers are/can be expensive to keep on the road so the 4runner is probably a more cost effective choice.

Affordability is important for maintenance for sure. While I want to build the knowledge and tools to be able to fix most things on this vehicle, the reality is that I have 2 kids and a demanding job and time is the missing factor. If the Land Cruiser costs more up front but will be cheaper to maintain then that's the ticket. It seems like you hear equal amounts of "these things are bulletproof and you can't break them" and "it will last you forever if properly maintained" (ie spend lots of money keeping an old truck going.

This is the difference between the DIY crowd and the non-DIY crowd. Internet parts are very reasonable so if you're doing the work yourself you can barely even remember the truck ever needing anything. An early 100 series isn't depreciating and in the hands of a non-OCD DIYer it costs roughly diddly squat to maintain. But if you're not going to work on it yourself you're probably better off with a newer 4Runner. You'll take some depreciation etc. but maintenance and repair won't be too bad even at a shop.

+1 for the 4runner

-Way more choice for afternarket parts and parts alone. Then there's headunit and stereo upgradability.
- a decade newer
- don't kid yourself, a 15 year old Land Cruiser will need parts replaced month 1 of ownership. Sure they are durable and reliable, but consumables will cost you a ton. 15 year old rubber and hoses.....let that sink in.
-5th gen T4R has got coilovers suspension vs the torsion bar setup on the 100. That's a huge +1

I'm a 100 series owner, and LC fanatic. When you put up the 4R 5th gen vs 100 series, I'm going to talk you into a 4r

After I sold my LX, I test drove the 2018 4runner and Tacoma, both felt very sporty, loved the tacoma more because it was 6 speed manual, and the 3.5 engine has torque up high. However, they did not feel as SOLID as my LX, meaning, not as comfortable and planted on the road as the 100, and the V8 is much more refined. I couldnt justify the payment.

Also, for the prices they are asking for used units (Canada), I might as well just get an LX570 for $5000 more, but the 200 is super nice to take offroad, and I am not a fan of leather of Japanese cars in general. If you dont plan to go offroading, you will love the LX570!
I ended up with a 100 LC, half price of LX570, and I wont cry if I scratched it offfroad.

Test drive both back to back, at that point you should be able to decide which one pleases you for daily driving!

6th gen 4runner might come next year, could be worth the wait ;)

D47E384E-1F99-4667-810C-90C964C8A287.jpeg

I've also got both (2015 4R and 2005 LX). love both for different purposes. 4R is more agile and nice as a daily (wife's truck). LX is a tank (my truck).

Tailgate on the LC is a deal breaker for me, it's just so functional. Couldn't go to a 4runner for that reason alone.

My daily commute is literally 1 mile and I mostly ride my bike, so I’m willing to sacrifice on daily drivability. Road tripability is another story I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom