Talk me out of a 5th gen Runner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a LC owner, I will admit that stock the LX470 is superior at driving on pavement and carrying a large quantity of women's undergarments.

Yes, another example i forgot to mention if you go LX be ready for more of these comments.

People laugh at my station wagon, then they ride it in. No more laughing. They want shot gun

To be honest, you can't go wrong with either. BUT, my advice would be go with your heart.
Just to give you an idea, everytime I park my LX I turn around and admire it. When I get off of work and see it in the parking lot I think, damn that's a sexy truck. When I get home, I'm sad because I have to come off.
It just makes me smile and that's how I know I got the right vehicle.

I have been in many newer vehicles including 5th gen 4runners and they do not build them like 100s. The materials remind me of GM/Ford that want you to switch every 3 years. They have too to stay in business. The 100 was not built like that. No expense was spared and you can tell. My daughters 100 is 20 years old with 285k miles and people are blown away when they drive or ride in it.

I have been in many newer vehicles including 5th gen 4runners and they do not build them like 100s. The materials remind me of GM/Ford that want you to switch every 3 years. They have too to stay in business. The 100 was not built like that. No expense was spared and you can tell. My daughters 100 is 20 years old with 285k miles and people are blown away when they drive or ride in it.
Honestly, this is one of the strongest arguments to me. I absolutely hate plastic. The Landcruiser is mostly soft touch and I love that so much. And the color. 4Runner only has dark interiors from what I remember? The Ivory interior is so nice and easy on the eyes

I started with an 89 FJ62.
Still have it.
It’s got a special place in the heart of the family.

I picked up a 99 LC last fall with 142,000 miles for about $8,000, after tires and timing belt and other stuff.
My brother got a 19 4Runner at the same time. Shipped in from Japan.
It’s nice, but I don’t smile as much while driving it.

I have no car payment with the 99, and my 2 kids fit it well, and will continue to do so as they grow.

My brother has a hefty car payment, and as his three kids fit now, I can see them getting cramped in the future.

We spent some money baselining the LC, and then my family of 4 hopped in for a 1500 mile road trip. It is THE most comfortable rig I have ever gone on a family road trip in. PERIOD.
The whole family was cruising in comfort!

My Wife LOVES it.

My brother works for Toyota, and loves the LC. He says they are engineered for a minimum 25 year service life (see pictures of parts earlier in thread. He’s keeping an eye out for a nice 200. They are his favorite.)

Both are nice rigs, but there is just something about Land Cruiser that is unique.

How tall are you? Asking cause I was planning on a 5th gen trail edition until I test drove one. Being 6'3 there was no way I was going to be comfortable in one. I started looking at tundras and probably would have ended up in one with a big car payment if my wife didn't say oohh what's that, as a 100 drove down our street.

Yes, another example i forgot to mention if you go LX be ready for more of these comments.

Don't forget about the Starbucks drive-thru so you can sip on a latte as well!

Seriously though, 3rd row A/C is a huge plus as mentioned.

I see tons of people here that have 4runners for their wife’s including mine. Interesting.

One positive for the 4Runner over the 100 is the fuel economy. My wife regularly gets 20+ mpg on her car!

The 100 series is a rock solid 12.5 mpg and the 200 is 13 mpg on a good day!

Love our '16 Trail, but also have a 100 and 200, previously owned a 2nd gen Tacoma.

I have two gripes with the 4runner.

1. We despise the black interior, especially when out hiking or camping with dog and kids.

2. The oil change process is horrific compared to the 100. 10 minutes in the Hundy, never less than 35 in the 5th gen and a guaranteed spill.

I see tons of people here that have 4runners for their wife’s including mine. Interesting.

One positive for the 4Runner over the 100 is the fuel economy. My wife regularly gets 20+ mpg on her car!

The 100 series is a rock solid 12.5 mpg and the 200 is 13 mpg on a good day!
All about the weight and mpg's. 100s and 200s are heavy.

Get the 4R and save the 100 for the rest of us :)

Own a 3rd gen 4R...curse the Toyota engineers for putting the oil filer on upside down...

Love our '16 Trail, but also have a 100 and 200, previously owned a 2nd gen Tacoma.

I have two gripes with the 4runner.

1. We despise the black interior, especially when out hiking or camping with dog and kids.

2. The oil change process is horrific compared to the 100. 10 minutes in the Hundy, never less than 35 in the 5th gen and a guaranteed spill.

We bought a 3rd Gen for my son so don't know how it compares to a 5th Gen (sorry not too applicable), but I can't drive that thing for 20 minutes, too small and uncomfortable. He loves it but of course young and amped just to have anything. Once in a 100 it's tough to go to anything else IMO. Our 200 isn't too shabby though :meh:;)

As others have said drive them both and decide for yourself what fits the family and the budget. Personally I won't drive anything but some sort of LC/LX.

I was going to purchase one but it was hard to get my mind around why a 4Runner was 5 times the cost of a 100.
5th gens are NOT 5 times better than 100 Series cruisers.

Interesting thread. I'm in a similar position to the OP. 2 kids, wife and I both work our asses off. Time is a limiting factor in all aspects of our lives. I've currently selling my 2002 T4R which has been "my truck" for the last 7 years--I loved the thing until...I Picked up an 01 LX470 semi-impulsively. I had always lusted after a 100 (and the other LCs) so jumped on one when I had a chance. Our family road trip car has been a 2014 T4R TE. All have been great trucks on the whole. The LX is absolutely on a different level in terms of feeling solid, quiet, refined, capable. Such a cool truck and I do look back at it and smile every time I park it. I've done the work that I can do myself and farmed out stuff I did not have time or skill for. It seems it will be more expensive to keep than my 3rd gen T4R but I just don't care. The 5th gen T4R has been rock solid, I like but don't love it. Been on loads of long drives with kids/wife/dog and it's been fine. Many shortcomings like the throttle response and soft suspension are easy fixes with mods. Agree that the paint is ridiculously fragile--my wife put an 18 inch scratch down to the primer with her purse! Sheet metal is also very easy to ding. Both my older trucks look at least as good as the new one in terms of dings/scratches. My thought had been to make it mine when it's older and build it--now with the LX I may be ruined.

Bottom line--if you want a truck you're passionate about, I think the 100 wins hands down. They don't make trucks like this anymore and there's nothing new I'd want more. There is a cost in terms of your time and/or money so just plan for it and it will all seem worth it. The 5th gen is the pragmatic and perhaps responsible choice and will absolutely do what you ask of it. It's all in your priorities so choose accordingly and enjoy whatever you get!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom