Taking Motorcycle with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone take a motorcycle with them and how?
I thinking a ute 100 where I drive an adventure bike up in the back of it...

That or have an off-road trailer for it. The hitch motorcycle mount probably wouldn't be practical unless you could swing the bike way from the tailgate in order to access the rear of the vehicle. And wouldn't have good rear clearance.

I haven't seen a ute in the states, are they available here?

I don't really want to have a trailer. I would like it to self contained. No ute's here, I'd have to make it. I thinking a fold up ramp off one of the aftermarket bumpers and would fold over the back of the bike and maybe connect to the roof that could double as a jerry can or spare tire holder.

I don't really want to have a trailer. I would like it to self contained. No ute's here, I'd have to make it. I thinking a fold up ramp off one of the aftermarket bumpers and would fold over the back of the bike and maybe connect to the roof that could double as a jerry can or spare tire holder.

I have this for my KTM....works well.

_DSC8462.JPG

Don't you worry about breaking it off coming down off rocks or a ledge

yep. I wouldn't wheel too hard with that on the back. I've been dragging my FJ60's ass all over the desert for years - I would not go too hard core with that on the back of my LX. good to get to camp...then head out an explore.

I've been pondering this as well. Sure it would be great to build a UTE. The options are only limited by your skills and creativity... and time. Based on all these, but mainly the last one, I am leaning toward the trailer. Easiest but more expensive would be a 4 door Tacoma/Tundra... I have the tailgate moto mount for my KTM 450 but not real practical for the bigger bike and you better be ready to hop on the bike when the trail passes a gravel road in difficulty or the bike (and mount) may not be there at the next stop. Short of the trailer and what we have been doing lately, is I chase the family (hundo) on the bike. Wouldn't work for longer trips but is just fine for the day trips. Again, leaning to trailering to distant trail head and dropping the trailer for the bike at the end of the pavement. It's not the greatest solution but I'm dang sure there are worse problems to have...

I thought seriously about the ute mod to fit a bike in the back of the 100. Decided that either a dedicated bike-carrying rig or a trailer was the best bet. Or a 78 series Troopy...they have a tall enough back opening that one could get a dirt bike in the back.

I ended up deciding on the trailer. And a second 100. One rig dedicated to camping, mild exploration, and hauling the bike for the gnarly stuff. And the second rig for solo exploration where a trailer is a major detriment.

I do like that hitch mounted bike carrier, but I couldn't live with the horrible departure angle. Good for taking the bike to a gravel road and then unloading. However, I think they max out at recommended load weight of 250 lbs. I am eager to see what you figure out...

Raising old topic. Other then departure angle, any issues with carrying ~500lb bike on a rear hitch? Using something like this?
Stock AHC/LX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom