Tailgate Storage Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you're a clever monkey.... nice work!

-db-

Nicely done dude!! This is worthy of a write-up...details, details!!

:cheers:

***UPDATE***

I've gone through a handful of versions of this project now (tinkering is a disease) finally happened on a version I like so I figured it was time for an update.

I realized that wanting an actual "box" in the tail gate was silly (and heavy for that matter) I lost the box, sealed up the inside with sound deadener and made a hinged "door" instead.
I did not like the lose panel (too awkward) so I ended up with a piano hinge running the length of the panel. The panel is still plywood (by far the best strength-weight-cost ratio I could find) the ply on the tailgate was not weathering well so I experimented with a bunch of bedliners till I found one that was durable, yet soft and rubbery to the touch.

There is WAY more useable room with this new version, the tailgate is not properly packed in the photo but on our last trip I put the saw, axe, hatchet, shovel, TP, bug spray, tennis balls, bog bones, zip lock bags of dog food, hammer, bungee cords, ratchet straps, oil filter wrench, some random tools and a handful of other things to spare in there and it swallowed it all right up.
I think this one might work out. ;p
IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

I cut the inner supports out of the 1/4s (the panels are way stronger anyway) I just lost the washer fluid bag (tire blocks window anyway) and on the other side I extended all the breather lines and moved the expansion chamber back behind the tail light (out of the way)
Lots of stuff fits in these as well.
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg

You might consider sealing the plywood with epoxy - West is my favorite (available at West Marine, no connection). That'll keep it from absorbing moisture & add a little strength.

You could also do thinner plywood (marine grade is the best) if you added fiberglass cloth on the inside with just a little more trouble. That'd make the panels a lot stronger.

How much space would you lose by attaching bins to the doors so the stuff wouldn't bang the quarter panels?

Been considering a sub & rear speakers in the tailgate & a panel milled out of 3/8" aluminum that you could sit on or slide heavy objects over without affecting the speakers.

Considered the fiberglass, but I hate working fiberglass (do enough of it at work) I neglected to mention that the panels are actually sealed up with marine spar varnish, they are waterproof and hose washable. I am trying to make everything inside hose clean up.

I considered putting a storage box on the back of the panel, but It was the same situation as the original tail gate box, so much room is up under the corners.

Nothing to add 'cept that's some quality work. Thanks for lettin us bite your ideas!

Wish those were mass made...

x2

Anyways can you give us a little part list? Where did you get those latches, hinges, and can you give us the specs on the metal frame surrounding the quarter panels and tailgate?

How is the tailgate holding up? Can you sit on it will all the supports removed? Just to clarify, did you cut out all supports in the quarter panel area?

Thanks in advance and nice work! :beer:[

I vote to add this to the 60s FAQ

Last edited:
Very nice work, from conception through execution! Have you thought about adding sound-deadening now that you have such easy access?

I have been considering doing this with my 60 and have been thinking of expanded PVC sheet (see http://www.sdplastics.com/pvcx.html ) that is used in the sign industry... it comes in all kinds of colors and thicknesses. It is not at structural as Starboard or the like but it would be very functional for doors, etc.

Tail gate is a good place to put a nice tactical shotgun. SORRY.
Very nice work, I love the idea.

Great idea.

Fantastic execution!

You should mass produce these.

Thanks everybody, glad you like it.

calphi27 said:
Anyways can you give us a little part list? Where did you get those latches, hinges, and can you give us the specs on the metal frame surrounding the quarter panels and tailgate?

The hardware is all from Mcmaster-Carr, pull latches and stainless piano hinge. I welded a flange on the hinge so that I could screw (in the case of the 1/4s) and through bolt (in the case of the tailgate) through the panel rather than into the edge. 1/2" plywood does not like to hold fasteners in it's 1/2" dimension. All the bolts use the existing mounting holes and stainless hardware.

calphi27 said:
How is the tailgate holding up? Can you sit on it will all the supports removed? Just to clarify, did you cut out all supports in the quarter panel area?

The OE tailgate was all caved in before this all started, I used the subsequent boxes to actually pull the tailgate back into shape. The frame is made from 2 pieces of angle iron, the two short sides and one edge are bent from one piece and a second piece is welded in to connect the legs. Plenty strong enough to sit on, in fact my test for them consists of dropping my 33" spare tire on them from the roof (I like things strong)

Yep. I cut all the vertical supports out of the 1/4s, the new panels are 13ga. steel with a lip welded to the inside of the opening for rigidity, plenty strong as well.

Creeker said:
Very nice work, from conception through execution! Have you thought about adding sound-deadening now that you have such easy access?

I would, except I am too cheap to waste my $ on sound deadening for a rusty body, I used the cheap stuff inside the tailgate to clean it up and I will do the same for the 1/4s as soon as I get around to chopping them (welding and sound proofing don't mix very well:doh:)

srplus said:
I have been considering doing this with my 60 and have been thinking of expanded PVC sheet (see http://www.sdplastics.com/pvcx.html ) that is used in the sign industry... it comes in all kinds of colors and thicknesses. It is not at structural as Starboard or the like but it would be very functional for doors, etc.

Yup, nice stuff, I looked at the Nidacore as well, but once again the strength-weight-and especialy-cost came into play again.

77TLCFJ40 said:
You should mass produce these.

I could always make more but you all know how cheap we are. :grinpimp:
It takes me a least a few hours to make, two latches are $26, the stainless hinge (which I then have to modify) is like $20, plywood is not cheap these days and neither is steel.
IMG_2133.jpg
IMG_2138.jpg

Last edited:
I could always make more but you all know how cheap we are. :grinpimp:
It takes me a least a few hours to make, two latches are $26, the stainless hinge (which I then have to modify) is like $20, plywood is not cheap these days and neither is steel.

Is there a group buy coming on??? :D

I'll send stickers w/my $$ since it looks like you've added to your collection.

Very nice stuff!

Well there are too many here that be interested. Looks like you have no choice but to quit your job and open shop just like 2badfjs. NICE WORK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom