tailgate latch adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

inkpot

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy! I don't remember a specific thread on the latch, so here goes. How/what do you change to get the tailgate to sit in the right position? The ratchet mechanism inside the tailgate does not appear to have any adjustment. It does look like it is working OK. The latch plates on the door jamb will move some, but not nearly enough to get the tailgate to end up flush with the rest of the body. I hate having to rely on the glass to hold the gate in the proper position. John

I have the same issue, I look forward to some input as I have yet to get it lined up right...

tailgate

Has anyone just put a thicker weather stripping along the tailgate to keep it from moving so much? JC whitney part #...?

I know this won't make the back perfectly flush, but might make it move a lot less. Any input on the tailgate being flush or the "rear window issue" topic please post or PM me or Inkpot. Gracias

Josh

My recolection of the body manual is that you adjust at the strikers...

How far out is your gate?
If I loosen the strikers with a big philips, I can move them around about 1/8". It doesn't seem to make any difference. They would have to move at least 3/8"+ to do me any good. New weather striping will help resolve the inward position, which goes in about 1/8 too far. But it comes outward over 1/4". I can't believe that we have to leave it stick out that far. The ratchet and striker are pretty similar to the side doors, so I will have to go stare at them for a while to see if I can come up with something. Thanks. John

I have the same issue and one side is bomber, the other side isn't. Even with weatherstripping it doesn't really help. I put a shim in there to hold it snug against the weather stripping but then it pushes it out about 1/4, the same I imagine as John's.

Could it be that the catch needs rebuilt? I can't seem to see how in the world one side of mine works and the other doesn't. They look exactly the same and are in the same position.

your star wheel is prolly worn and your just missing the catch you need, a second click if you will. try moving the striker out to catch the next click, instead of in to draw the door.

if i'm not being clear, roll the star wheel with your fingers and you'll see the distance you have between clicks. if your just missing the next click the wheel (and gate) will roll back to the last one, its about 1/4".

I have same issue. We want the tailgate to "snug in tighter". Weatherstrip will make a tighter seal, but won't let the gate close more flush with exterior body.
My only fix idea was to remove the 2 latch "catches" on the sides, and cut the mounting hole/slot wider. So when I reinstall it, I can adjust it inwards, and tighten it-very tight! So when you close lower gate, it will catch and hold gate in tighter. Top liftgate will also close with a tighter fit, lining up to body panels better.
I'm worried that with such a wide slot, I won't be able to secure them right enough. Maybe have to tack a weld once adjusted.
Any thoughts?
1st 'real' comment ever, Let the attack begin!!

your star wheel is prolly worn and your just missing the catch you need, a second click if you will. try moving the striker out to catch the next click, instead of in to draw the door.

if i'm not being clear, roll the star wheel with your fingers and you'll see the distance you have between clicks. if your just missing the next click the wheel (and gate) will roll back to the last one, its about 1/4".
This might be the fix I need. Need to go find this "star wheel"...

Any thoughts?
Body panel alignment and gaps on a Pig are notoriously bad so your struggles are real.

The star wheel mechanism will have two clicks when you close your tailgate, if you are only getting one then dissemble and clean all the muck out then re-lubricate and try again before you make any modifications.

I had to give my striker a good whack to loosen the captive nuts and allow it to slide in - granted it only moved about an 8th plus or minus, but this resulted in about 1/4" movement at the top and got it into pretty good alignment. I also per @bobm advice flanged the receiver side of the fixed channel on the frame so the window didn't have a pinch point between the body and tailgate (if this makes no sense, I can get a pic). as others have said, good weatherstripping will help stop things from bouncing around (as much).

I had to give my striker a good whack to loosen the captive nuts and allow it to slide in - granted it only moved about an 8th plus or minus, but this resulted in about 1/4" movement at the top and got it into pretty good alignment. I also per @bobm advice flanged the receiver side of the fixed channel on the frame so the window didn't have a pinch point between the body and tailgate (if this makes no sense, I can get a pic). as others have said, good weatherstripping will help stop things from bouncing around (as much).
Can you post a pic of the adjustments you made here?

@jatatar I am afraid I can't post a picture until spring...-30 here and no shop and no way to lower the window until then to get access. I also checked my old photos and I don't have one of that area. For more words though, all I did was loosen but not remove the bolts then knock the latch loose such that there was some for and aft movement. In my case both the latch and the captive nuts were held in place with a bit of rust. Once loose, just adjust and retighten. The hammer thingy that comes with impact socket sets is really useful here for loosening the screw/bolts without stripping them.

1705675931087.png

Last edited:
@jatatar I am afraid I can't post a picture until spring...-30 here and no shop and no way to lower the window until then to get access. I also checked my old photos and I don't have one of that area. For more words though, all I did was loosen but not remove the bolts then knock the latch loose such that there was some for and aft movement. In my case both the latch and the captive nuts were held in place with a bit of rust. Once loose, just adjust and retighten. The hammer thingy that comes with impact socket sets is really useful here for loosening the screw/bolts without stripping them.

View attachment 3536686
Cold up there! If I send a couple pics of mine maybe that would help? I was looking at the star shaped thing and can tell it needs a little more to latch. I'm about a 1/4 ish off from a spot where I could raise the window without having to hold it in with my body

Body panel alignment and gaps on a Pig are notoriously bad so your struggles are real.

The star wheel mechanism will have two clicks when you close your tailgate, if you are only getting one then dissemble and clean all the muck out then re-lubricate and try again before you make any modifications.
I am noticing this issue on my pig. Door is out almost 1/4 in from flush prevents raising the window without leaning on the door. And adjustment/dismantling advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom