Builds Tagged '67 LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cont'd

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

A while back I started looking at all the "long lead" projects that needed to get in the works so they'd be ready by the time the bodywork was complete and reassembly could start. The list was what you'd expect - engine rebuild, transmission, transfer case and vacuum shifter overhaul, speedometer and gauge cluster restoration, new brake line set and wiring harness, and seat upholstery.

I did my research on MUD, asked some questions of MUD members and selected vendors known for quality work. Let's start with the wiring harness. It didn't take much research on my part to find the right man for the wiring harness. MUD member comments about @Coolerman were overwhelmingly positive. I reached out to him, discussed my project and got in the queue for a new harness. I provided him my old harness so he could harvest hard-to-find connections and verify that every detail of the original harness was replicated. We exchanged emails on the particulars - he wanted to know about backup lights, a trailer harness, fog lights, winch or no winch, etc. - and got the scope set to my precise wants/needs ( I opted for the fusible link, a departure from stock I felt good about given the reward to risk payoff). Once it was my turn in line and he began assembly, we had a few more exchanges to get things just right and within a week or so I was holding my new harness.

I couldn't be happier with the end product! Thanks again Coleman for your attentiveness and a very smooth transaction.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves (the scotch tape notes are mine).

IMG_3594.jpg
IMG_3595.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg

I stayed closer to home for my interior upholstery, going with a shop that had done great work for me on my VW Microbus restoration. The first step was having the bodyshop prepare the frames and springs.

I've come to expect little surprises with every project. With the seats the surprise was that three paint colors would have to be decided upon. The springs were easy, using the same glossy PPG Concept single stage we had settled on got valve covers, oil pan, frame, etc., would work just fine. The fun part was coming up with a match for the seat frames and metal backs. We were lucky enough to have a few places where upholstery shielded the original paint from respray and I had read enough to know it was generally believed the interior colors was a combo of the exterior colors. It took a few tries but we finally hit on the right mix and matched the original paint. What I wasn't expecting was having to match the unexposed side of the front seat back. What we found was a drab green flat primer, which we had seen in a few other spots when interior panels were removed. I was asked a few questions along the lines of "can't we just paint it to match the springs?", "what does it matter, it will never be seen". I even surprised myself when responding that I'd know!

Here's a few pics, starting with the way it looked when dropping off at the upholstery shop so you can see the three different paints.

seat frames to shop.jpeg

Rear seat bottom epoxy.jpeg
Rear seat bottom painted.jpeg
rear seat back epoxy.jpeg
rear seat back painted.jpeg

Last edited:
Another surprise was finding the original seat covers underneath the aftermarket covers that were on my LV when I bought it! The upholster used these as templates to match vinyl colors and pattern the new covers to match the old ones. They even found metal rings to match the vent holes!! My only contribution was re-plating the original, JIS decorative small-head screws that holds the metal panel to back side of the rear seat frame.

If anyone is interested, you're welcome to my old covers to use as templates for your upholstery restoration. I'll even ship on my dime just so I don't have to throw them away. I need space in my garage!!

Here are some pics of the final product and the original covers everything was patterned on.

IMG_3340.jpg
IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3342.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

This might be a good time to clarify something. Reading back over some of my posts, I could see how one might get the impression I was disparaging the PO - that was not my intention. The PO sold me a very solid, largely complete LV at a fair price. What more could you ask?! I haven't lost sight of the fact that 50 years ago no one purchasing an LV had a clue they'd become the rare and revered classics we see them as today. Who knows, if I had been one of those original buyers I might have thought nothing about drilling holes for a radio antenna, backup lights, a tachometer set in the dash - PERISH THE THOUGHT!

Ha! All in fun, all in fun.

Wow Don, every post is very impressive. And good on you for keeping it original (something I'm sure not doing). I think you did good with the fuses in the new harness. Some upgrades just make more sense, like dual circuit brakes. Really looking forward to seeing this thing being put back together.

Thank you sir for such a great thread - I'm a new member to the site, but this is super valuable as I am getting seriously deep in the restoration of my '66 LV. Great photos, info, and direction - keep up the good work homes, and I look forward to sharing mine.

Thank you sir for such a great thread - I'm a new member to the site, but this is super valuable as I am getting seriously deep in the restoration of my '66 LV. Great photos, info, and direction - keep up the good work homes, and I look forward to sharing mine.

Welcome sprdvallpro! Glad you're finding the thread valuable. Looking forward to sharing information, experiences and seeing your build thread on MUD soon!

Crossing the speedometer restoration off my "long lead" list required the least effort of all on my part. I simply asked around, got recommendations, made a call and exchanged a few texts before deciding I had found the right fit with MUD member @Armenoonanian

Here's what I sent him.

FJ45LV Speedo.png

While I was busy with the harness and speedo , the shop tackled repairs to the floors. There wasn't that much to deal with, but where the repairs were needed always seemed to be in the tightest spots. Below are a few photos showing the bad areas and where the cuts were made.

LV Floor - 0.jpeg

LV Floor - 00.jpeg

LV Floor - 3.jpeg

LV Floor 4.jpeg

LV Floor 5.jpeg

Last edited:
Don I’m so glad Your going all stock on this rig if you still have the rear seat upholstery I would like to have it thanks Dale

Good Morning Dale,

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the vote of confidence on going all stock - its a path that's not easy or inexpensive, but I feel it's the right choice for this truck and one I'll be happy with in the end.

So excited you'll have the seat covers! They're a bit tattered as you can tell from the photos, however, they are complete and make for excellent patterns. I'll get them boxed up and out to you in the next day or two.

Take care, Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom