“Taco Tabs” for 120-platform work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across this product called Taco Tabs from Poly Performance.

The idea is that it fixes your alignment so that you don’t need to do an alignment because there’s no cam bolts that move.

Just wondering if anyone running the Taco Tabs on a GX470

Taco Tabs

Edit:…I should have searched. There’s another option too from Bison Offroad too.

Last edited:
I prototyped them on my GX and run them today no problem. Just have to weld in some total chaos tabs to reinforce.

I prototyped them on my GX and run them today no problem. Just have to weld in some total chaos tabs to reinforce.
Good to know. I’m late to the party finding out about these tabs.

Uh-oh…I bought them from poly performance a little while back because their website says no permanent modifications required for install.

Are the total chaos tabs required or just performance improvement?

Also, is there a cool GX product that didn’t come your way for review or testing? You truly are the OG.

Uh-oh…I bought them from poly performance a little while back because their website says no permanent modifications required for install.

Are the total chaos tabs required or just performance improvement?

Also, is there a cool GX product that didn’t come your way for review or testing? You truly are the OG.

No modification required. The tabs fold over or bend which messes up your alignment if you wheel hard. Total chaos and marlin crawler among other brands make reinforcement pieces that weld on to better support the tabs and prevent this.

No modification required. The tabs fold over or bend which messes up your alignment if you wheel hard. Total chaos and marlin crawler among other brands make reinforcement pieces that weld on to better support the tabs and prevent this.
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!

Honestly, the awful, pothole-riddled roads of Atlanta are probably harsher than any of the forest trails I’ve taken this thing on. Feel pretty good just doing the taco tab install for now then.

The TC tabs are just too good with the kit. It locks in and works great. You can do it without but it isn't as good. I haven't had an alignment since I put on RCLT in October.

The TC tabs are just too good with the kit. It locks in and works great. You can do it without but it isn't as good. I haven't had an alignment since I put on RCLT in October.
Damn, that’s a pretty solid endorsement for getting the TC tabs welded on.

Any idea how many hours this would take a shop to do? I’ve never welded before…so I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable welding something so critical for a daily driver as my first job.

Personally I would go with the marlin crawler since they not only brace the tab but also reinforce the entire LCA mounting bracket. I'm sure the install cost is basically the same for both. The actual time is in removing everything an another few inches of weld is nothing

Personally I would go with the marlin crawler since they not only brace the tab but also reinforce the entire LCA mounting bracket. I'm sure the install cost is basically the same for both. The actual time is in removing everything an another few inches of weld is nothing
Hm, good suggestion. Their kit does look like more protection for about the same price as TC.

Yeah, figured the welding itself doesn’t take much time. Just not sure what labor looks like for pulling off enough of the parts to do the welds. Frustrating because that’s wrenching I can totally do myself, but I can’t do the welds.

Find your local toyota offroad club. There is a 99.9% chance someone in it has a shop and can do something like that plus you can make some new wheeling friends.

Welding is not particularly difficult. For $300 you can get a flux core Titanium welder from Harbor Freight, a helmet, and gloves. You can then watch some YouTube videos and practice on some scrap steel until you are comfortable welding on your GX. The frame where the tabs will go is 1/8" or thicker steel, which is not hard to weld.

Afterwards, you'll have a new skill and tool. I use my Harbor Freight welder all the time and have made lots of things with it (onboard air bracket, transmission cooler bracket, exhaust repair, extended sway bar end links, etc). I did take welding classes 20 years ago in high school, but it came back pretty quickly.

My setup is pretty protected. This one is on Maggie (her truck) since it is the cleanest pic lol but mine has the same
20220525_222254539_iOS.jpg

The idea is that it fixes your alignment so that you don’t need to do an alignment because there’s no cam bolts that move.

Taco Tabs

Edit:…I should have searched. There’s another option too from Bison Offroad too.

Do the Bison tabs fit the GX? They specify

Taco Tabs

Do the Bisons fit the GX? Why do they only specify these?
  • Toyota Tacoma 2005-2015
  • Toyota 4Runner 2003-2009

Do the Bison tabs fit the GX? They specify

Do the Bisons fit the GX? Why do they only specify these?
  • Toyota Tacoma 2005-2015
  • Toyota 4Runner 2003-2009
If they fit an 03-09 4R they fit the 470 in all years to.

Makes sense. It was just strange to me that they wouldn’t specify all of the vehicles that they fit
Trust me. 10 years ago no one even KNEW what would fit a GX lol

My setup is pretty protected. This one is on Maggie (her truck) since it is the cleanest pic lol but mine has the sameView attachment 3091880
Every time I see this photo, I find myself telling myself it's just money, it's just money. Dan (Shannon) that is gorgeous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom