T8rTotr - It totes the Tater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outstanding work there Master Kinsey!
:beer: ✌️

Nice work , looks like an Eldorado body. I used to work for a bus dealer many years ago. They made a nice strong body. That is exceptionally rusty. It looks like it turned out well.

Thanks guys.

Think it was built by a company called Horton or Hobson or something like that, dont remember now.

I do still have an issue where the shell pulls away from the cab above the windshield and leaks. I added a lot of fastening locations and It's far better than when I got it but does still move around. So far I've bondo'd it twice and now Flex Sealed it a couple of times but it's gonna open up again.

My only other strategy will be to add a water proofing RV tape across the seam and hope for the best.

You guys have any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Are those bi-fold doors on the passenger side still used?

I sure hope you got that thing for free, with all that (amazing) work you had to do to save it.
I'm 51 years old and have yet to find anything in life to be free.

Thanks. Yeah, open the bi-folds gets in under the couch where a frig, 3500 generator and other misc tools are stored.

Brother Ted,
This maybe just a crazy thought. Maybe attacking the issue should be done from the inside. I can only see the pictures you posted of the outside but just maybe the roof of the van cab is moving down. Not sure if you can add any bracing inside some how to support the sheet metal. Just a stupid thought so be gentle.

Brother Ted,
This maybe just a crazy thought. Maybe attacking the issue should be done from the inside. I can only see the pictures you posted of the outside but just maybe the roof of the van cab is moving down. Not sure if you can add any bracing inside some how to support the sheet metal. Just a stupid thought so be gentle.
so I have braced it in 6 or 8 different locations across the top of the windshield bu welding in 3/16 tabs to the and through bolting it. I'll throw up a few pics to make it clear(er). The idea is to make it as solid as possible and eliminate any movement b/w the chassis and the fiber glass shell.

I think the issue is really the frame, it's 22ft.+ and not boxed in so it flexes A LOT. Aside from boxing it in partially or fully there's not much i can do about it so I'm thinking the "easier" fix is to create a flexible seam, doesn't have to move a lot, maybe an 1/-16 to an 1/8 at the very most but wont crack or break the seal.

The pics will help.

so I have braced it in 6 or 8 different locations across the top of the windshield bu welding in 3/16 tabs to the and through bolting it. I'll throw up a few pics to make it clear(er). The idea is to make it as solid as possible and eliminate any movement b/w the chassis and the fiber glass shell.

I think the issue is really the frame, it's 22ft.+ and not boxed in so it flexes A LOT. Aside from boxing it in partially or fully there's not much i can do about it so I'm thinking the "easier" fix is to create a flexible seam, doesn't have to move a lot, maybe an 1/-16 to an 1/8 at the very most but wont crack or break the seal.

The pics will help.
2 of a total of 7 location across the top
20210620_170033.jpg

20210620_170022.jpg

I think your flexible joint idea is likely your best route. Sounds like you've made a strong attempt at hard mounting, to little avail. The shell sounds like it has too much flex to make a good solid mount.

I'd say clean the seam good and find you some type of weather stripping, maybe like a bulb door seal or something similar and slide that along the edge of the fiberglass shell. Then tighten down your fasteners and maybe put some silicone behind that just for good measure. Silicone should seal the seal to the top of the cab, door seal will give you that minor amount of flex to let the 2 move just a little.

P.S. missed seeing you this weekend. But the pig was being temperamental and now I know what needs fixing before the next trip out.

I think your flexible joint idea is likely your best route. Sounds like you've made a strong attempt at hard mounting, to little avail. The shell sounds like it has too much flex to make a good solid mount.

I'd say clean the seam good and find you some type of weather stripping, maybe like a bulb door seal or something similar and slide that along the edge of the fiberglass shell. Then tighten down your fasteners and maybe put some silicone behind that just for good measure. Silicone should seal the seal to the top of the cab, door seal will give you that minor amount of flex to let the 2 move just a little.

P.S. missed seeing you this weekend. But the pig was being temperamental and now I know what needs fixing before the next trip out.
Thanks Matt, hate that i missed it but just wasn't in the cards this year.

Looking great Ted, hope you are well.

Looking great Ted, hope you are well.
holy crap Andrew, where you been? So many questions for you!!!! My wife is feakin' over this stupid vaccine. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom