T. Belt Light on 1HD-FT..questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some detailed information about the timing belt light I have on my HDJ80 (1HD-FT). I am pretty sure the timing belt was changed within the last 2 years on my 80, and just yesterday the t. belt light came on. I know it is not that big of a deal to change it. What I am wonder is how this is triggered to come on, it is tension on the belt that changes enough to trigger it, or is is a mileage calculation and after so many miles it comes on, or maybe it is a change in valve timing that the computer can pick up on thinking timing belt needs to be changed. I am out of town so I have not had access to my manuals to look it up. Anyone know for sure how this works on a 1HD-FT

Thanks,

Michael

miling kalk. probably forgot to reset it when they changed it last time.
their may be a resetbuton on the dash opositt to milecounter reset button , jou have to putt a stick in to reset it . and there was som other way to it to , i'l look it up for you if this dont work for you .

neowulf said:
their may be a resetbuton on the dash opositt to milecounter reset button , jou have to putt a stick in to reset it . and there was som other way to it to , i'l look it up for you if this dont work for you .

Interesting, I have another rubber plug to fill a hole in the clear plastic near the trip odometer reset but the guage panel does not have anything that you could reset behing that plug, maybe mine was newer and had another way of resetting it. Let me know what you find out.

thanks again.

Michael

take out the rubberplug and press the botton behind it (its only 1mm so it can be hard to spot)

1hd-ft

Hello Michael,

Hope you get it straightened out. Can you tell me how you like your 1hd-ft? Fuel economy? 5-speed or auto? how many miles on it? how long you've had it? Sorry to bowl you over with questions. I'm just about to swap one into my 80 and can't wait. -Ryan.

neowulf said:

Howdy, I worked with a number of Norweigen(spelling?)folk in a ship drive building company in Vancouver. Damn good people, my best friend is a native Norweigen and is the best fabricator welder I have ever met.

By the way your aviator rocks.....

Welcome.

Rob

neowulf said:

Howdy, I worked with a number of Norweigen(spelling?)folk in a ship drive building company in Vancouver. Damn good people, my best friend is a native Norweigen and is the best fabricator welder I have ever met.

By the way your aviator rocks.....

Welcome.

Rob

PS Michael, could you post a couple pics of your truck under the hood?

The t-belt light is activated by a third odometer-like device behind the speedometer face panel. None of 80 series odometers are elactronic and they should have a t-belt light reset button behind the rubber plug. 78/79/10x series have an electronic mechanism and it's reset by a certain sequence of turning the ignition and pressing the tripmeter button.

There are rumors at least on the early diesel 80 series there is a wiring error in the harness and a blocked air filter can cause a flashing t-belt light under certain moments. But the light should only be flashing, not lit steadily.

Dave

Yep It has a little gearbox that turns the light on every 100000 klms. If it hasnt been done for 2 years it may have clocked that up.

Reset button on the speedo,just behind the grommet.
P7140023 (Medium).JPG

beanz2 said:
The t-belt light is activated by a third odometer-like device behind the speedometer face panel. None of 80 series odometers are elactronic and they should have a t-belt light reset button behind the rubber plug. 78/79/10x series have an electronic mechanism and it's reset by a certain sequence of turning the ignition and pressing the tripmeter button.

There are rumors at least on the early diesel 80 series there is a wiring error in the harness and a blocked air filter can cause a flashing t-belt light under certain moments. But the light should only be flashing, not lit steadily.

Dave

Dave,

I am not sure I understand about non of the odemeters are electronic on the 80 series everyone I have every had has a electronic sensor that plugs into where a cable would on the back of transfer case, that would mean that a pulse signal drives the mechanical odemeter at some point. or where you making the point that the actual odometer is mechical?

Thanks,

Michael

Towpack said:
Reset button on the speedo,just behind the grommet.

Ah ha I see the little black botton in your picture, I did not notice that on mine I will look when I get back in town. thank you so much for the feedback :)

Rad - I will take some pics of my HDJ80 when I get back in town, hopefully have them posted by end of weekend.

Cheers,

Michael

cruiseruser said:
Hello Michael,

Hope you get it straightened out. Can you tell me how you like your 1hd-ft? Fuel economy? 5-speed or auto? how many miles on it? how long you've had it? Sorry to bowl you over with questions. I'm just about to swap one into my 80 and can't wait. -Ryan.

Hey Ryan,

I have a 96' HDJ80 that I got in January it has the 1HD-FT with inter-cooler. The truck is a work horse and is running 4.11 gear with 315 (35" tires) Mileage has been in the low 20's like 20-23. I recently swaped out the turbo gauge for an EGT guage (boost is 13lbs max) the EGT's were very low no more than 800F so I turned up the fuel...Man it is like a new engine under the hood, way more power, mileage I have not calculated yet. Currently I never get black smoke and towing a 16ft trailer with 84' HJ60 on it up a grade was 80klm with 1050egt's and it was still pulling just fine (kilometers are actually higher - bigger tires speedo is of). the cruiser has 19x,000 kilometers on it.

I am very happy with it, especially since turning up the fuel, truck totally rocks.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
Dave,

I am not sure I understand about non of the odemeters are electronic on the 80 series everyone I have every had has a electronic sensor that plugs into where a cable would on the back of transfer case, that would mean that a pulse signal drives the mechanical odemeter at some point. or where you making the point that the actual odometer is mechical?

Thanks,

Michael

I'm referring to the odometer. Of course you know the 80 odo has numbers on mechanical drums that actually rotate like this:

Mech_odo.JPG

And you also know the 100 (also the 78/79) have an LCD odo like this:

LCD_odo.JPG

Dave

tlcruiserman said:
Hey Ryan,

I have a 96' HDJ80 that I got in January it has the 1HD-FT with inter-cooler. The truck is a work horse and is running 4.11 gear with 315 (35" tires) Mileage has been in the low 20's like 20-23. I recently swaped out the turbo gauge for an EGT guage (boost is 13lbs max) the EGT's were very low no more than 800F so I turned up the fuel...Man it is like a new engine under the hood, way more power, mileage I have not calculated yet. Currently I never get black smoke and towing a 16ft trailer with 84' HJ60 on it up a grade was 80klm with 1050egt's and it was still pulling just fine (kilometers are actually higher - bigger tires speedo is of). the cruiser has 19x,000 kilometers on it.

I am very happy with it, especially since turning up the fuel, truck totally rocks.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael for the info. I want to talk more with you. Maybe I'll PM my number. Cheers, Ryan.

beanz2 said:
I'm referring to the odometer. Of course you know the 80 odo has numbers on mechanical drums that actually rotate like this:

Mech_odo.JPG

And you also know the 100 (also the 78/79) have an LCD odo like this:

LCD_odo.JPG

Dave

do you have in your plans swap to 4.56 .. ?

Tapage said:
do you have in your plans swap to 4.56 .. ?

No plans to swap the gear any lower than I have they are fine the way they are. Originally it had factory 3.70 gears that were swapped out for 4.11 and with the 35" and all the power from the 1HD-FT it is a perfect fit.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
No plans to swap the gear any lower than I have they are fine the way they are. Originally it had factory 3.70 gears that were swapped out for 4.11 and with the 35" and all the power from the 1HD-FT it is a perfect fit.

Cheers,

Michael

mmm only I suppose it, because you saw, that you tow so much ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom