Swing down tyre carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

P1010628.jpg

I made this for my old...err...I mean my friends Heep... :whoops:

TLC Norway - the problem I see with your
design is you might be forgetting that there are two reasons to lower the tire.

1. to take the tire off and swap it
2. to gain access to the back

I think you might be overlooking #2....

...The perfect carrier in my eyes would allow me to open the rear hatch
without moving the tire (swinging it in whatever direction). I also must say
that I am talking from a chair without taking any measurements myself.

77Cruiser77 -Dont bother about the sketch, it was only to show the idea of parallel bars.
Of course, opening the hatch and tail gate without moving a carrier is sweet.
This one will unlock and tilt 8 inches to let me open the hatch.

I'm trying not to overlook anything, and there are more than two reasons to do it this way.

-To change a flat. Easier for anyone not having the big tire under the rig, or on the roof.
-A swing out takes up too much space when open.
-A swing DOWN would double as a ladder both into cargo space when lowered, and to roof when upright. My girl needs ladders.
-My back does not like lifting stuff, and changing a tire where the carrier is as low to the
ground makes sense for my back. I will rotate the tire in the 5mix.

Your point about #2, what makes you say that? I wanna lower the tire this way,
to gain EASY access to the back. (ladder point) The sketch is not my work plan, its a sketch.
The tire is way to tall for any mount on the back to accommodate hatch opening without a bother.

After reading this thread, it occurred to me that maybe you could go in
between a swing out and a swing down by mounting the spindle at a 45 degree angle so that it
swings out to the side and down out of the way. That way it wouldn't be a dead lift to put it back up,
yet it would not interfere with your doors.
You would probably need to have the right angle on the mount bracket. Just thinking out loud......

Good idea, could be center mounted and the tire on the drivers side.
-that way the tire would not bump into nearby cars or whatever, and it still functions as a ladder!

Darwink, the lower bar could be raised and the bumper notched to get it out of the trouble zone.

People, use the ENTER KEY alot in this thread.
Make
shorter
lines....

TLC Norway,

Please excuse me but, even still, I am talking without looking outside at my 61. The problems I foresee with this idea even though I really like it is with the height of the the top parallel bar added with the width of the tired and added with the distance of the pivot point on the bumper to to tailgate is going to be the length this whole apparatus from the tail gate.

So lets say the bar is 10" long and the tire is 12" wide and the pivot point to tailgate is 2" when this thing is down you're sticking out 24". I don't know the width of the tail gate but I know its not very wide.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against this idea. I think its really innovative with a lot of potential. All I'm trying to do is provide critical feedback to help perfect a design.

What I do like in your design over the heep one is all your mounting is on the bumper (frame) instead of the body and bumper which move independently

I actually like the heap rear stinger lookin carrier, minus the whole mounting to the body thing. It would work well if you were to add rear 1/4 protection and tie into that instead of the body. The 80 series dude I mentioned did it that way. Only problem is youd now have crap stickin out on either side of the carrier which would impede access to the rear even more than something like my 80 contraption. Of course, if you designed it right, you could use said crap as a step to enter the back. Another option would be to offset the carrier to one side...

Putting stuff in the back of my 80 isnt dificult at all. Sure its "in the way" but not really an annoying in the way. Kinda like lifting your van, at first its a bit of a pain gettin in and out but after a while you get used to it.

D (only pressed enter twice!)

77cruiser77; thanks for inputs, this place is the perfect arena for feedback, thats why i like it so much.
Keep the feedback coming. As you mentioned, it's a way to perfect the design. ;)

The way i see it, is that i dont care if the tire in down position is further back than the tailgate. Hence the step-function.
And it will not bother me if the tire is not that close to the body when in upright position. As long as it dont affect the departure angle.
If the parallel rods connected to the carrier and bumper has the same direct length, the tire will have the same angle when on ground as up. It does not need to be in a perfect level angle when down, and it should have a few (maybe 5-7*) angle lean towards the body when upright.
Conclusion, the rod underneath the tire can have a shorter radius, and the upper arm does not need to mount higher than halfway up the tire.

Bumper mount and the top rod must be shaped in a way that lets the tire go all the way down and out to clear the tailgate.

I'm gonna cut some cardboard to see if this is even possible, but i am positive.
I'd love to do something innovative that would work and make life easier.

I'm also thinking out loud here, i dont know if any of you get my point here... ;)

That is a "4 Bar Linkage" and depending on what the lengths are and where the pivots are you can do all sorts of crazy things with it. You can also cornfuse the hell out of yourself in the process. :hillbilly:

With the 4 bar it should be possible to get the spare to lay over flat, like the simpler swing-down, but with the leverage benefits of the 4 bar. Just a matter of the length ratios. Single thickness cardboard with thumbtacks for the pivot points placed over some graph paper makes a great scale model "CAD" program for stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom