1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swing down tyre carrier?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by LT1-62, Aug 29, 2006.

1. LT1-62

LT1-62

I remember seeing one of these here on mud a while ago, where the carrier swings down as opposed to left or right. My minimalist custom rear bumper and swing out doors means making a swing out carrier will be a PITA, have got a swing down design in mind that incorporates a ladder, but would love to get another look at the swing down one on mud (if it actually exists outside of my head)...

[​IMG]

2. bundy18

bundy18

:grinpimp: cool idea:grinpimp: , never seen it before and will have to give it some thought
    why do you want it swing down, it will be almost impossible to get inside with everything right in you way?
    depending on how your stuck you might not be able to open the doors anyway, nevermind you wouldn't be able to with a side swing one either:doh:
    will keep thinking:ban:
    good food for thought:beer:

3. LT1-62

LT1-62

The bumper that I built doesnt have enough room at the corners to accomodate the spindle and still allow the doors to swing fully open. If I mount a hinge type joint high on the rear face yet below the top plane of the bumper, the carrier could swing down out of the way allowing the rear doors to open fully. You are right that this will limit my access to the rear but that is where my ladder idea comes into it. If I build a basic box section ladder scaffold as part of the carrier, I can use this to climb into the rear and also access the roof tray when folded down. I will build the carrier centered as far to the right as possible (so I dont have to fark around with licence plate mounting and lights) so I will at least be able to still get easy access on the left hand side...

4. Texx

Texx

On my very first FJ60 back in 1983, I put a swing down tire carrier on the rear bumper, meant to be mounted on a RV, or caravan as they're called overseas. They're designed to be mounted to a 4" square bumper, worked fine on the stock 60 one with few mods (none I can remember). While not incredibly heavy duty (basically consisted of a 2" square post with mounting plate, hinge, u bolts, and latching mechanism, along with tire mount), it remained on my truck for years with a 31" tire on board. My wife hated it (we had the us spec tailgate) but it kept the spare out from under the truck and out of the pass. compartment. Worked great, cost about 35.00 at the time.

5. Rustydog

Rustydog

Shocks for carrier

I have been considering this idea also. On my 40, drop tailgate, I am not in need of the swing away to get clearance for the more common doors. If I were to use a drop for the tire it would allow more creative options for protection of the quarter panels. I also like the old style round taillamps on my 1972 and they are the most outboard pieces on the bumper that need protection.

Here is a link that might also help. The concern I had was the lifting and dropping the tire's weight. I found this link when surfing some other information and my idea is getting closer.

http://www.stabilus.com/default_e.asp

6. bridges

bridges

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been looking for an interior mount for the rear cargo area, but saw this one today that looks like you could weld or bolt on depending on your bumper size...

Link

7. notagp_afj55

notagp_afj55

Bridges
    Price is good but do you think a stock bumper would be strong enough
    to hold a 32" or 33" tire with this setup or would those U-bolts be
    strong enough as well

8. lunyou

lunyou

i like the price on those swing down carriers but am not sure about the strenght with a 33" tire.

lunyou

9. notagp_afj55

notagp_afj55

Sorry for the irrelivance (sp)

LT1-62

What is the Toyota paint color and code of you 62? I dont think that is
    a US color but would like to find out if it can be found here in the US

and sorry to change the subject

-Jim

10. bridges

bridges

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure, looks a little thin to me too, but with the welding skills on LT1-62's bumper I thought a little "modification" might be possible... :)

No experience with these, just looking for a setup for the rear cargo area, came across this one in my search, and remembered this thread.

11. bridges

bridges

Media:
    Albums:
  12. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Here's another idea:

What about a swing *up* carrier w/ ladder attached to the roof rack?

You could use some gas struts to help get it up. And when closed, it could latch securely to the door/tailgate so that the roof rack isn't holding all the weight while underway.

Never tried it, just thinking out loud.

13. sixty

sixty

Why not just mount a spindle and swingout on the rear face of you bumper so it wouldbe out of the way of your tailgate... swing down sounds like a PITA to access your tailgate.

14. LT1-62

LT1-62

Im definitely keen to fab something to suit the rear bumper, I actually have a JDM HJ61 factory swing out carrier that I was gonna try and make work but it was made to work with the fold up/down tailgate. I'll probably use the latching mechanism and the wheel mounting face of that carrier and fab the rest.

Sixty> Even if I mount the spindle on the rear face of the bumper, the most I'll be able to open the right rear door is 90 degrees which is not far enough IMO...

notagp_afj55> I painted the truck dark olive green (flat) , the original colour was white with 80s blue stripey graphics...

15. rockyklg

rockyklg

sandcruiser- you beat me to it. i really like the idea of a swing up carrier. need a place for a spare and i hate swing outs. swing down would make it too much of a pain to get in which ineed. not to hijack but anyone have any good ideas on how it could work? (swing up) :beer:

16. LT1-62

LT1-62

I agree swing up sounds great, and the steel TJM roof tray would probably be OK to lever off of, but making something functional, robust and that looks good would be quite a challenge I think...

17. Live to Ski

Live to Ski

Man,

I've been thinking of a swing down carrier for years. My idea was to use a front tow bar, mount it in the rear and attach spare tire/gas cans. Then, in the super remote chance you need a tow, restow the cans/tire, move to front, and be towed. One of the problems is preventing gas can leak when it is in the down position.

This idea helps minimize the added stuff for expedition rigs.

18. notagp_afj55

notagp_afj55

My apologies for missing the color. At first i looked grey to me therefore
    i thought factory. Now after reading your other buildup post is see it truely
    is Olive drab. Sorry for the color blindness

-Jim

19. ridgerunner

ridgerunner

I would think a swing down (or up) carrier would get old pretty quick. I know 35" BFGs don't weigh that much, but I'd still rather conserve my energy for something other than vertically lifting moving a tire out of the way.

The PO of my truck built a relatively small bumper, then proceeded to weld a small chunk of channel to one side to mount a spindle:
    100_0404.JPG

20. LT1-62

LT1-62

notagp_afj55> thats a forgiveable mistake, when I look at the pic at the top of the thread again it does look pretty gray...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">