SwayAway TB's on built LX w/ AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, heres a quick rundown of my 2004 LX. I have SPC UCA'S, bumpers, winch, sliders, drawers, roof rack, and 295/70/18's. I have about a 2" sensor lift, Japan 4x4 ahc spacers, King ktrs-79 springs with 30mm spacers in the rear, and had almost maxed out AHC tb's in the front.

I ordered some SwayAway torsion bars since they were cheap ($200) and am slowly putting the pieces together for an AHC delete. The TB's showed backordered on the SAW website but ended up delivered within 4 days.

I decided to "experiment", and installed the SAW TB's on my LX. Yeah, they're waaaaay bigger than the OEM TB's but figured WTF, I'll see what happens. I originally did a 0 index, but required way too much from the adjusting bolt, maxing it out. I then tried the marks SAW put on the tb, -1 spline. I think I'm indexed about 3 splines. Sweet spot! Still plenty of adjustment, and AHC showed a 7.1 on techstream.

The ride is great! No pitching up under acceleration, corners flat, and soaks up uneven road nicely. Can cycle through
L N H, though L takes a little longer now. Comfort settings work, just feels like it's one notch firmer than it's set on. I'm pretty happy so far.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but my rig likes it. Thanks to @caslim who is running this setup, too, and was able to answer some ?'s I had.

A good thing about running these bars is that if my AHC happened to fail and put me on my bumpstops, all I'd have to do is crank them up. They'd easily support the weight on their own.

Last edited:
So, heres a quick rundown of my 2004 LX. I have SPC UCA'S, bumpers, winch, sliders, drawers, roof rack, and 295/70/18's. I have about a 2" sensor lift, King ktrs-79 springs with 30mm spacers in the rear, and had almost maxed out AHC tb's in the front.

I ordered some SwayAway torsion bars since they were cheap ($200) and am slowly putting the pieces together for an AHC delete. The TB's showed backordered on the SAW website but ended up delivered within 4 days.

I decided to "experiment", and installed the SAW TB's on my LX. Yeah, they're waaaaay bigger than the OEM TB's but figured WTF, I'll see what happens. I originally did a 0 index, but required way too much from the adjusting bolt, maxing it out. I then tried the marks SAW put on the tb, -1 spline. I think I'm indexed about 3 splines. Sweet spot! Still plenty of adjustment, and AHC showed a 7.1 on techstream.

The ride is great! No pitching up under acceleration, corners flat, and soaks up uneven road nicely. Can cycle through
L N H, though L takes a little longer now. Comfort settings work, just feels like it's one notch firmer than it's set on. I'm pretty happy so far.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but my rig likes it. Thanks to @caslim who is running this setup, too, and was able to answer some ?'s I had.

A good thing about running these bars is that if my AHC happened to fail and put me on my bumpstops, all I'd have to do is crank them up. They'd easily support the weight on their own.
Great info here.

I’ve driven an armored LX with oem TLC 100 t bars and oem 80 series rear coils with AHC.

So I’ve been hanging on to my oem 100 t bars to swap into my wife’s lx when the time comes, but I definitely like the point you made about when the AHC quits -all you’ll have to do is turn a 30mm bolt. And thinking you won’t be too bad off with king + spacer in the rear.

Sounds like a win, win.

Just comes down to where you index the sway away bars.

One other thought is that I remember the sway away bars having the biggest diameter compared to other aftermarket t bars. I think the order was something like this, smallest to largest:

Oem
Emu
Ironman
Sway away

Following this thread. It would be great if you’d continue to share your experience with setup.

Are the SwayAway TBs red? Weird question I know. Any pics on the ride?

Great info here.

I’ve driven an armored LX with oem TLC 100 t bars and oem 80 series rear coils with AHC.

So I’ve been hanging on to my oem 100 t bars to swap into my wife’s lx when the time comes, but I definitely like the point you made about when the AHC quits -all you’ll have to do is turn a 30mm bolt. And thinking you won’t be too bad off with king + spacer in the rear.

Sounds like a win, win.

Just comes down to where you index the sway away bars.

One other thought is that I remember the sway away bars having the biggest diameter compared to other aftermarket t bars. I think the order was something like this, smallest to largest:

Oem
Emu
Ironman
Sway away

Following this thread. It would be great if you’d continue to share your experience with setup.

I'll definitely keep this post updated!

So far it's working with a 3 spline index. I still have plenty of adjustment on the 30mm bolt in both directions. With these 295/70/18's, i was still getting a little rub while on the brakes in a turn. Gone with the SAW tb's. Oh yeah, I'm 21 1/2" center of hub to fender and my front caster is 3.4*.

I'll definitely keep this post updated!

So far it's working with a 3 spline index. I still have plenty of adjustment on the 30mm bolt in both directions. With these 295/70/18's, i was still getting a little rub while on the brakes in a turn. Gone with the SAW tb's. Oh yeah, I'm 21 1/2" center of hub to fender and my front caster is 3.4*.
To achieve that 21.5 front height did you cut the bolt on the AHC front height sensor or just slide it to the top?

I was hoping they were, but they're not. They're black. I'll go take a pic. Stand by.[/QUOTE

Attempted to take some pics, but they sucked.

20181103_204708.jpg

20181103_204719.jpg

To achieve that 21.5 front height did you cut the bolt on the AHC front height sensor or just slide it to the top?

On the OEM UCA'S, I slid it to the top. On the SPC UCA'S, I'm about center of the slide to get the same 21 1/2".

20181103_205715.jpg

On the OEM UCA'S, I slid it to the top. On the SPC UCA'S, I'm about center of the slide to get the same 21 1/2".

View attachment 1824069

How much dropped are you getting? I just replaced my AHC bars with stock LC ones. I can only get drop down to 23.25" so I set my height to 20.5" to maintain 70mm droop. When I tried 21" I was having a front wheel come off the ground on sharp turns.

How much dropped are you getting? I just replaced my AHC bars with stock LC ones. I can only get drop down to 23.25" so I set my height to 20.5" to maintain 70mm droop. When I tried 21" I was having a front wheel come off the ground on sharp turns.
When turning sharp on an incline (like pulling out into traffic) my wife sometimes gets chirping of the front wheels because it’s lifting as you described.

Oh wow! I haven't experienced anything like that.

I just checked and it droops down to
24 1/2", so I'm running about 3" of droop. I might be geting a little extra droop from the spc uca's, and ahc shock spacers.

When turning sharp on an incline (like pulling out into traffic) my wife sometimes gets chirping of the front wheels because it’s lifting as you described.

I had the same problem with my old ahc tb's. I went wheeling a few weeks ago and hit some steep stuff. I could feel the front suspension easily topping out. Even on flat ground, if I accelerated hard the front would pitch up a lot. I hit some steep hills yesterday with the new bars and it stayed pretty flat when I hit the gas.

Just wanted to give you guys an update with the SwayAway torsion bars I installed on my LX.

I have about 500mi on them now and the ride is fantastic! Ive been keeping the AHC ride selector
switch on the "big dot", and it's perfect for all around driving. Its sporty feeling yet soaks up rough road, and not harsh. Suspension still cycles through available travel, too. I haven't touched the torsion adjuster bolt since I installed the bars.

I'm really happy with this setup, and would recommend anyone with a built up LX to consider experimenting with bigger t-bars. I happened to use SwayAway, and it worked out great. Maybe other brands will work with backing off the spline indexing, but I dont know. I imagine they would.

That's all I have for now. I'll keep you guys updated as I get more miles on them.

He being his 100? Someone logged on with his user 0954 today...

Thanks though!
rj

He being his 100? Someone logged on with his user 0954 today...

Thanks though!
rj

Lol! Damn! You keep better track of me than my wife does!

The TB's are still great! No complaints. Mileage is only a 209k now. I haven't adjusted them since installation. Thinking about SAW TB's? If you can still get them cheap, do it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom