Swapping out front axle differential flange - any tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. I ended up doing a front axle swap to kick the can down the road on my PO modified FJ60 outer axle with bad oil leaks just to get the rig back on the road. In that process I created a new issue that I didn't catch when the axle was off the rig however, and am hoping to get some coaching on fixing it. Basically the old axle flange has a different bolt hole pattern than the new one which prevents connecting the front driveshaft.

The original axle is a 1968, the new one I believe is a 1974, which I think introduces a fine vs course spline issue.

So - I believe that leaves me with a couple approaches that I wanted to get some coaching on;

1 - pull the flange on the later axle that is on the rig
2 - after doing the above putting on a matching pattern replacement flange

OR

3 - swap out the driveshaft u-joint for a matching pattern for the later flange that came with the later axle I installed

Any reason to choice #1 & 2 vs #3?

Thanks!

It's the inner axle shafts that went from coarse to fine spline during this time period. 78 is when the pinion changed to fine spline. Should be able to switch the flange.

It's the inner axle shafts that went from coarse to fine spline during this time period. 78 is when the pinion changed to fine spline. Should be able to switch the flange.

Oops - thanks for putting me straight on that.

Any tips on getting the flange off? It looks like there’s a large nut that should spin off of an impact gun, will I need a polar to get the actual flange off?

Thanks!

That nut will come off and the flange will slide out. The pinion is what the nut is threaded on... when you put this all back on you will need to ensure the preload is correct.

Tom, I would change the flange on the driveshaft. The ‘68 only used 8mm bolts, which were barely adequate to the 6 cylinder, and woeful with a V8. The ‘74 uses 10mm bolts. Mo bedda.

Last edited:
From one of my earlier posts:

"When I went to American Toyota to order some replacement bolts/nuts/washers to replace some missing from my '76 FJ40 front driveshaft I had the three separate part numbers on my list. Cdan quickly pointed out that the hardware comes in kit form - one bolt, one nut, and one washer, all under one part number. Just an example of the service you get from a knowledgable factory parts expert."

I don't have the part number handy, but I'm pretty sure @Onur will.

Much easier to just switch the drive shaft flange to match the Diff. You will need to open the holes up to accommodate the 10mm bolts.

That pn is for the 11mm hardware; we were discussing 8 vs 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom