Swap in the future (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

Unfortunately, it’s looking like the LJ70 I purchased isn’t in the condition that I believed it to be in.

There are some significant oil leaks, major lack of power on hills, and I believe the turbo is on its way to the turbo graveyard.

It’s a 2LT, so I can’t say that I am shocked.

Help me decide on a 3L Turbo setup, a VW 1.9 ALH TD, or other. It will be backed by the R151F that is currently in the vehicle. I’d prefer to stay true to Toyota, but convince me whether or not I should? ...I am doing the VW in my Samurai, FWIW.

I recently found baldur controls website. DSL1 - https://controls.is/shop/dsl1. this is a guy out of Iceland that makes stand-alone ECUs to control electronic diesels. As of this year he now has one that will control common rail engines to include the newer Toyota d4d engines. Because he has the new ECU out the older dsl1 ECU is on sale for only $650. The Mercedes 3l 6cyl om606 engine will run off this ECU in excess of 250 horsepower. Baldur also has wiring assistance and ready to go programs for the om606 engine. He also has ready to go programs for a number of common rail engines. There's a number of places that make om606 engine adapters. One of the obstacles you may run into is having the front drive shaft exit on the right side of the tranny. you can pick up a d4d engine with tranny here in the states JDM for about 3 to $4,000 but I think the front drive shaft exits on the wrong side for a 70 series. There's a guy out there that had his 60 series in a popular adventure lifestyle magazine recently and it features an om606 at over 250 horsepower not sure about the rest of his drivetrain...... In my view the ecu's from balder at their price point is sort of a game changer especially now that he has a common rail ECU. The other standalone aftermarket ecus I've seen are in excess of $2500.

I’m a bit biased toward the VW option, but I’d say find a good BHW and don’t look back. The power, efficiency and reliability will far exceed a 3L turbo setup. Even the ALH would be a great option, especially in the SWB 70. I regularly see ALH and BHW engines for $1500 or less, including the harness.

Hey all!

Unfortunately, it’s looking like the LJ70 I purchased isn’t in the condition that I believed it to be in.

There are some significant oil leaks, major lack of power on hills, and I believe the turbo is on its way to the turbo graveyard.

It’s a 2LT, so I can’t say that I am shocked.

Help me decide on a 3L Turbo setup, a VW 1.9 ALH TD, or other. It will be backed by the R151F that is currently in the vehicle. I’d prefer to stay true to Toyota, but convince me whether or not I should? ...I am doing the VW in my Samurai, FWIW.

I'd blame those issues more on previous owners than the engine.

Read some of the swap threads. They're a lot of work, and you really need to be committed. Vehicle will be off the road for a long time unless you're a magician/rich. I've seen countless threads start like this and then nothing happen. I hope your different, but just sayin.

@boondocmedic, is this a 2LT, 2LTII, or 2LTE? How long have you owned it? Valve Cover gaskets are cheap, as are Chinese CT20 turbos. Way cheaper and easier than an engine swap. Where exactly is the oil leaking?

On big hills keep her in peak torque range 2200 -2400 RPM. Use 4th gear on the bigger slopes. Put a Intercooler on it...again much easier than swapping something non Toyota.

I’m a bit biased toward the VW option, but I’d say find a good BHW and don’t look back. The power, efficiency and reliability will far exceed a 3L turbo setup. Even the ALH would be a great option, especially in the SWB 70. I regularly see ALH and BHW engines for $1500 or less, including the harness.
I'd like to hear about a 1.9 or 2L VW TDI swap into a heavy high air drag vehicle like a 70 series that performed well at interstate highway speeds in warm weather with Air conditioning on without heating up. I've owned 2X vw TDI's and I know they are great in those little cars. I"m sure they'd be great off road in a 70 series for most anything but blasting through sand dunes. I'd really love to hear about them pushing a 70 series or lifted hi-lux at highway speed without heating up or burning up and getting decent mpg to boot...........Around town is easy, off roading at slow speed is easy. It's the high load, high wind resistance high heat conditions that make me wonder.......Not being sarcastic or anything here. I'd just be interested to hear from someone who did it that it all worked out well.

I'd like to hear about a 1.9 or 2L VW TDI swap into a heavy high air drag vehicle like a 70 series that performed well at interstate highway speeds in warm weather with Air conditioning on without heating up. I've owned 2X vw TDI's and I know they are great in those little cars. I"m sure they'd be great off road in a 70 series for most anything but blasting through sand dunes. I'd really love to hear about them pushing a 70 series or lifted hi-lux at highway speed without heating up or burning up and getting decent mpg to boot...........Around town is easy, off roading at slow speed is easy. It's the high load, high wind resistance high heat conditions that make me wonder.......Not being sarcastic or anything here. I'd just be interested to hear from someone who did it that it all worked out well.
I haven't driven mine in the summer yet, and I don't have AC hooked up, but the ALH with factory hardware and a mild (Stage 1) tune pushed my LJ78 with rooftop tent along at 110km/h no problem, and could get right up to 120km/h to pass. I have pulled several mile 8% grades at a solid 90km/h without the EGT's getting over 1150ºF. Coolant temperature stayed between 188-195ºF and fuel economy was around 21mpg. Loaded weight was likely in excess of 5000lbs. This is a small bump in power from the stock 2L-TE, but a huge reduction in temperatures and increase in reliability. I have since installed large injectors and a Stage 4 tune (~155hp, 275lb-ft) and am fighting an over fueling/under boosting issue with the tune, but even so I can still cruise at 110-115km/h at around 1100-1250ºF EGT. I have no doubt that once the tuning issues are sorted mileage will increase and temps will decrease again. I think that in a small LJ70 this kind of performance would be more than adequate.

I would love to be able to do the same swap with the 2.0 BHW, which stock has 134hp and 247lb-ft.

All that said, if the current 2L-T in the vehicle just needs some love and a new turbo, I'd say stick with that since it will be much simpler and cheaper in the long run. Intercool it, turn up the boost, and have fun!

I haven't driven mine in the summer yet, and I don't have AC hooked up, but the ALH with factory hardware and a mild (Stage 1) tune pushed my LJ78 with rooftop tent along at 110km/h no problem, and could get right up to 120km/h to pass. I have pulled several mile 8% grades at a solid 90km/h without the EGT's getting over 1150ºF. Coolant temperature stayed between 188-195ºF and fuel economy was around 21mpg. Loaded weight was likely in excess of 5000lbs. This is a small bump in power from the stock 2L-TE, but a huge reduction in temperatures and increase in reliability. I have since installed large injectors and a Stage 4 tune (~155hp, 275lb-ft) and am fighting an over fueling/under boosting issue with the tune, but even so I can still cruise at 110-115km/h at around 1100-1250ºF EGT. I have no doubt that once the tuning issues are sorted mileage will increase and temps will decrease again. I think that in a small LJ70 this kind of performance would be more than adequate.

I would love to be able to do the same swap with the 2.0 BHW, which stock has 134hp and 247lb-ft.

All that said, if the current 2L-T in the vehicle just needs some love and a new turbo, I'd say stick with that since it will be much simpler and cheaper in the long run. Intercool it, turn up the boost, and have fun!
Thankyou for posting that information. I've read a couple threads elswhere about putting a VWTDI engine in a hilux or samurai etc..., but not much about a heavier boxier LC. The direct injection is evidently alot better than IDI. The VW TDI is also a very lightweight engine in comparison to many diesels. There is also a readily available adapter plate to adapt it to some toyota transmissions. I have a 3B with a turbo on a BJ73. I'm 1050 to 1150 at 70mph without air running110 to 115km/h. If I hit a grade or have to pass I can bust my EGT alarm at 720C. I'm lucky to get 20mpg. 16mpg is more normal. At 400+lb lighter than my 3B I have no doubt that the VW is a good performing setup, but not a real beast of an engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom